Weight loss has came to a screeching halt...

Options
When I first started dieting I was losing a few lbs per week (taking in around 1400 calories a day). Then once I had lost about 20 lbs MFP adjusted my calories to 1200 or so a day... i've been eating under 1,200 calories a day with the exception of one "treat" per week and my weight loss has basically stoped all together. I don't know what to do to boost my weight loss except to keep going and hope that it will pick back up?? I do not excercise because I honestly do not have time between my child, husband, job & housework. I have to sleep sometime. That's the reason for my calorie intake being so low because I have a sedentary job and don't excercise. I have cut my diet drinks down to one a day because I thought that may be a problem but I'm still not showing progress.

What should I do? Eat more? Eat less? Take some kind of supplement?

I have 12lbs to go to be under 200lbs before my 5 year wedding anniversary on Sept. 8th but it does not look like that is going to happen. I've worked so hard to meet this goal and will be disappointed in myself if I don't meet it.

I eat about 400 calories for breakfast/lunch and the rest I take in at dinner because I find it hard to diet with my husband/sons eating habits. It's much easier for me to eat less during the first part of the day and eat a normal meal for supper than to fix myself something completely different from what they are eating.

Any advise is appreciated!

Replies

• MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    drink alot of alcohol.
    wake up tomorrow morning.
    step on scale.

be amazed.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Would be SO awesome to see a diary...

I will just assume you are eating 1200 calories of Ho-Hos and Snickers.

So, more protein!
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    for the record, im only half joking.

if you're honestly eating at a caloric deficit (and @200lbs and 1200 calories, you are) then you are losing fat...
    most likely your body is retaining water and you're not seeing it on the scale, although progress is still happening.

read this article for a better idea then what i posted
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

but yea, if you dehydrate yourself by alcohol, caffeine, or just plain sweating alot, most of the water weight wont come back in when you re-hydrate... just dont do something stupid do overdo it lol.
  • mrslawing
    Options
    LOL no, my usual day is a 100 calorie pack of grits, 2 tbsp of coffee creamer (60 cals) for breakfast and a 200 or less calorie lunch (such as light soup or a turkey sandwhich on 45cal bread w/fat free cheese and a pickle). Then for supper I eat a meal like chicken/pork chop, 2 vegis and a starch. So nothing crazy like snickers and ho hos lol.
  • mrslawing
    Options
    @MrDude... thanks for the tip & advice!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    If you were losing weight at 1400 then what you should have done when you had a plaetau is increase your calories to 1500. I started out at 1000 and I have kept going up the ladder with my calories and continue to lose weight. I increase my calories by 100 a day more and stay that way for two weeks and this has worked so well for me. I am actually at my goal weight and sill increasing my calories to find my maintenance level. Today I increased to 1500 and will see what happens. I don't think decreasing your calories is the answer. All I can say is give it a try, if you were to gain weight by increasing to 1500 you will know within a day so it's worth a shot
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    We need a lot more information before advice can be offered. Make your food diary public. How tall are you? What is your current weight, BMR, and BMI? (these can be found under the "Tools" tab). What is your weight loss goal setting (lose 1.0 lb. per week)? What is your lifestyle setting (sedentary, light active, etc.)? How active is your job? What are your macro % settings? (these can be found by going to My Home>>Goals>>Change Goals>> Custom.

A true plateau is 3-4 weeks with no weight loss.

Diet alone will only get you so far. Not having enough time is a lame excuse and you know it. Everyone can find 30 minutes a day. It's all about priorities. Not trying to be harsh, just honest.
  • Sloth_TurtleGirl
    Sloth_TurtleGirl Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi. I totally sympathize. This happened to me. My scale just sat there for two weeks! Today, I got on the scale and had lost two pounds. The worst part, I actually cheated the day before and had a Wendy's number one meal which is 1000 calories and then some other food so I know I was well over the 1,200.

You also might want to be sure you are eating a good amount of fiber.
  • mrslawing
    Options
    Diary is public now.

I weigh 211 lbs

I'm 5'11"

BMI - 29.4 (Overweight, @ least out of "Obsese" range...)

BMR - 1,798 (have no clue what this is??)

I want to lose as much as healthily possible in shortest amount of time??

I'm an insurance agent. So sedentary @ work, light active @ home.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    BMR is your basal metabolic rate, the amount of calories you need daily just to lay in bad and breath. You never want to eat below this amount because it can cause you to plateau......your body is not getting enough calories to survive so your metabolism slows down to accommodate this shortfall. You need to eat more!!! Also in regards to exercise - I'm not gonna get too preachy on this but take a walk a couple of times a week, have hubby or someone watch the kids. None of us have time, we make time.