Unexplained weight gain

Options
So I've been eating 1200 calories a day for a few months now, and have managed to lose a few pounds. However, recently my weight loss seems to have hit a stand still, and now I'm even starting to gain a few pounds. I don't understand why, because I was always under the impression that eating 1200 calories a day was enough for consistent weight loss? I also do not exercise, so my weight loss comes purely from my diet which is why I am getting so frustrated. Can anybody offer me any advice?

Replies

• Lindaendall
    Lindaendall Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    how strange - at 1200 per day, even without exercise you should be losing something each week, even if only half a pound. My first thoughts are, are you being honest with yourself about the 1200?? Are you weighing your food or guessing at your portion size?? Are you 'snacking' things that are not logged??

Sorry this all sounds a little like you are not being honest with yourself but really at a loss to think of anything else.

Is it possible for you to start a little light exercise like walking or swimming? This would really kick start your metabolism (or kill you ha ha)

Hope things soon change for you, good luck:flowerforyou:

Linda
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Weightloss is unfortunately non-linear. Watching the scale constantly will only stress you out. Stick with what your doing over a longer period of time to see if its working for you or not.
    If you keep changing things up in the short term you won't really know what is or is not working.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    honest question - could you be pregnant?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,099 Member
    Options
    Without knowing very much about you, we really just have to guess.

But, start here:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Set your goal accordingly.

Then go here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

Join the group, read the sticky threads.

You probably aren't eating the right number of calories. But, I'm just guessing. 1200 only works for a small slice of weight-loss attempts. And it doesn't work if you don't have much to lose....unless you are 4'10" and sit for literally 18 hours a day.
  • smith176
    smith176 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yes I do log my snacks, I can't really see the point in logging food if I'm not going to do it honestly. And no, definitely not pregnant.
  • pag41989
    pag41989 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Have you changed what you eat recently? If you eat less but eat higher calorie items to stay at your goal that could be a problem. 1200 calories in unhealthier foods is going to treat your body differently than 1200 calories in veggies and grilled or baked meat. Also I know if I have diet sodas it affects my weight loss. I cut out diet coke a week ago and I can already feel and see a change.. especially with the bloating.
  • SparkleHorse224
    SparkleHorse224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you've just hit a plateau. You could try eating 1500 cals/day for a few weeks or changing the exercise routine.

Maybe it's something else? Are you getting enough sleep and drinking enough water?
  • smith176
    smith176 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Also if any other information is needed... I currently weigh 137 pounds, and I'm 5"5. I would eventually like to weigh around 125 pounds.
  • ombili
    Options
    Hey, I don't have any answers but just wanted to share your pain. I have been in MFP for almost two years. Over the first year and a half I lost weight steadily and then held at the weight I wanted. I logged my diet and exercise very accurately - I cook my own food 95% of the time so I have probably saved about 50 recipes just to make sure they are accurate. All was wonderful and I thought I had found the secret to keeping my weight right where I wanted it.

Then, over the past four to six months, I have put most of the weight I lost back on, even though I have not changed anything - and I DO mean anything! Most of the weight is in my breasts so I can only assume it could be hormonal, but anyway, it's very frustrating.

I didn't have a lot of weight to lose to begin with - I went from 113 lbs to 107 and am now back to 111. But I was happier at 107 and also, the weight just keeps steadily creeping up with no end in sight! I would see a doctor but at my weight I hardly think this would be any cause for concern and most people just think "you must be lying to yourself about your diet or exercise."

So far the only thing I have tried is actually cutting back my exercise a bit - I work in the fitness industry so I tend to work out for many hours every day - and actually slightly increasing my caloric intake. I also cut out soy because I understand it can lead to increased estrogen production, and as a vegetarian I had been relying on soy products for protein frequently. I haven't lost anything yet but I haven't really continued to gain, so maybe that's a clue. But I really couldn't tell you. Mostly just wanted to share your frustration.

If I do ever figure out a solution I will let you know!
  • Sweatinglikeapigtolooklikeafox
    Options
    To lose weight you need to exercise.
    Yes you can lose weight from healthy eating, counting calories etc but that will only keep you going so long.
    Once your body uses the 'fat' up you hit a wall.
    Add exercise, eat a few more 100 calories and you will start losing again

EDIT
    Work out your BMR..that is what your body uses for everyday function like breathing etc. This is normally higher than 1200kcal.
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

Use this to calculate your BMR and don't ever eat less than that (net), use the sedentary calories in the chart, then log your exercise calories and eat them back.
  • girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    "Also if any other information is needed... I currently weigh 137 pounds, and I'm 5"5. I would eventually like to weigh around 125 pounds."

You are already well within a healthy BMI range. If you are trying to appear "smaller", you need to focus in changing your body composition, not weight loss. Focus on strength training & building muscle. This will change the shape of your body, and make you look "toner". You'll drop inches, if not necessarily pounds.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Also if any other information is needed... I currently weigh 137 pounds, and I'm 5"5. I would eventually like to weigh around 125 pounds.
    I think you need to eat more. I calculate your BMR to be almost 1400. Try upping your calories to about 1400. Maybe add 100 this week and then in another week or so add another 100 if it sounds like too much at first. That should still give you at least a 250 calorie deficit even if you are sedentary. Or if you decide to add exercise, you could add even more calories.

Find the roadmap (search in the message boards) if you have questions, or message me. Best way to get off a plateau is to shake things up.
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    bump......
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    even though you are not obese, take a look at the article linked below.

you are likely eating too few calories, and have slowed down your metabolism. Your body has become used to functioning on 1200 calories (not enough) so you stopped losing. Now whenever you have a little extra, you gain. Back to 1200 cals, or even lower, but can't lose --- feeling tired . . . sound familiar? Have a look:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/238282-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing-redux
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    how strange - at 1200 per day, even without exercise you should be losing something each week, even if only half a pound.

This is wholly inaccurate.
  • daddiesgirl1
    daddiesgirl1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that eating less than 1,200 calories is not giving you the proper nutrients, vitamins, etc that the body needs. Isn't it dangerous to go lower than the 1,200 calories?
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Without knowing very much about you, we really just have to guess.

But, start here:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Set your goal accordingly.

Then go here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

Join the group, read the sticky threads.

You probably aren't eating the right number of calories. But, I'm just guessing. 1200 only works for a small slice of weight-loss attempts. And it doesn't work if you don't have much to lose....unless you are 4'10" and sit for literally 18 hours a day.

^this