Has anyone tried the Special K Challenge or Grean Tea?

Amberly10
Amberly10 Posts: 41 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I have about 20-25lbs to lose. I go to the gym M-F and use the Elliptical Trainer for 30 minutes. Still I am having a hard time losing the weight. I love food but I rarely eat junk food and don't eat large portions. My downfall is never drinking water but drinking Mt Dew like a fish. So, I have upped the water and am cutting out the soda.

My question is have any of you tried the Special K challenge where for 2 weeks you eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast and lunch and supposed to lose 2 dress sizes in 2 weeks? I just bought the Vanilla Almond and the Berries Special K. I didn't bother with the protein bars or protein water as I figured I could just eat some fresh fruit or veggies as a snack. Dinner can be whatever you normaly eat.

Second question is that I read in Woman's World that green tea (besides all of the other health benefits) is supposed to help with weight loss. It reccommends 9 cups a day, which I have no problem with since I love tea. I am also a coffee drinker but since I load coffee down with creamer and sugar I am replacing my coffee with the tea. I add 1 tsp. of honey to sweeten. Has anyone tried green tea?

Replies

• lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Haven't tried Special K. If you like cereal...go for it. I don't think there's a magic ingredient but it is a way to control your calories. For me personally, cereal just makes me hungry.

As for green tea, juries are still out. It is generally agreed that it contains antioxidents that are good for your health but there's no conclusive evidence that it will help with weight loss. However, you have to drink water anyway and you might as well get the health benefits. The caffiene in the tea will also help offset the loss of caffiene from the Mountain Dew......something I'm sure you will appreciate.

If you've been drinking a lot of regular mountain dew every day and you cut that out, you're already set up for success because that will be quite a few calories out of your regular diet.

Good luck.
  • I read the same thing on green tea. I don't like hot tea so I made ice tea out of it and have been drinking it for about 6 days not really sure if it's doing anything for me yet. I will post more when I drink it longer.
  • amboardman
    amboardman Posts: 144 Member
    All the Special K diet is designed to do is to limit your calorie intake. You'll be just as successful if you eat healthy and watch your calories and of course, exercise. Me, personally, I agree that the Special K diet wouldn't do anything but make me hungry and mad :smile: If you think it will work for you, go for it! It may be the jump start you need. I would suggest, however, that you find a way to get in some protein if you're not going to do the protein bars. Fruits and veggies are great for you but don't have protein that you need.

Good luck!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Green Tea has a lot of antioxidants which help in weight loss. Yes, green tea will help but so will other things high in antioxidants like blueberries.

Loading down coffee with cream and sugar will add to the calories. Coffee itself is zero calories, it is the other stuff we put into it that adds up. Also keep in mind that our bodies deal with liquid calories different than it does with food calories.

I have never tried the Special K thing but my dietician had suggested the Kashi plan.

Good Luck.
  • Amberly10
    We are stationed in Germany right now so it is dinner time for us. So far I have had a bowl of the Vanilla Almond Special K with 2% milk and a cup of hot green tea with tsp honey for breakfast. Lunch was another bowl of the Special K and another cup of hot tea. Snacks throughout the day were 1/2 pita pocket whole wheat with 2oz thin sliced deli ham 1/2 slice 2% American cheese and 1tbs. Miracle Whip, a small apple, more green tea and 8 mini apple cinnamon rice cakes. For dinner I am having grilled tilapia, au gratin potatoes and mixed veggies.

I still have about 400 calories left over!! What do I do with it? Could I drink 1 Mt Dew? Not sure if that is a good idea even if calorie counting wise I can. I am such an addict I would probably go on a binge, lol. Really though, I thought I was doing great but I want to meet my nutritional requirement of 1200 calories.
  • akb2006
    akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
    Are you logging in your calories on here? What about your excersize. 1200 calories seems pretty low. You may not even be eating enough calories! You should be eating at least 2/3rds of your excersize calories back.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    I still have about 400 calories left over!! What do I do with it? Could I drink 1 Mt Dew? Not sure if that is a good idea even if calorie counting wise I can. I am such an addict I would probably go on a binge, lol. Really though, I thought I was doing great but I want to meet my nutritional requirement of 1200 calories.

Healthy nuts or peanut butter is a better option.
  • Amberly10
    Are you logging in your calories on here? What about your excersize. 1200 calories seems pretty low. You may not even be eating enough calories! You should be eating at least 2/3rds of your excersize calories back.

Yes. I just started today. My daily allowance of calories is 1200. I exercise for 30 minutes a day on an elliptical trainer which burns 287 calories that I get back in my daily allowance. With what I ate I have nearly 400 calories left over. I don't feel overly hungry but I want to eat atleast the amount I am supposed to. I think tomorrow I will add some peanutbutter and maybe some tuna salad as a snack.

I really want a Mt. Dew.
This discussion has been closed.