What to do? a day/meal that is just . . Untrackable?

Options
dldnvr
dldnvr Posts: 22 Member
Any Suggestions on what to do or what you do when a meal or day is just too much to track?

Went to 'Special' dinner last night. Nice place, Good food, Potager in Denver. Seasonal Menus and all fresh.

Shared the courses with my date for the evening.

Really nice bread with butter (kept it to a slice and a half)
Roasted Tomatos with roccata cheese
ravioli with sweet corn and lobster sauce
Halibit with cucumber and mint
Plum tart with homemade vinilla bean ice cream.

NOW how do I track that? I split the courses and didn't go hog wild on the bread and ice cream, but I have no idea how many calaries where in the meal.

So I just looked, saw I had 1300 calaires left for the day (went to the gym and eat light) so I just created a 'My Foods' 'Dinner at Potager' and manually assigned 1300 calaries.

What does anyone else do in these cases? I don't want to feel like i'm Cheating, but I find sometimes it's impossible.

Thanks

Replies

• freeasharold
    freeasharold Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I estimate. Sometimes I log ingredients that I know are in the dish, or look for similar entries in the database.... or I just do what you did, quick add calories and start fresh the next day :)
  • stephfranke
    stephfranke Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Only been on for about a week or so, but I would have done what you did... be honest about the rough calorie count, and continue on the journey. I have also broken down the bits of a meal to make it work too. I would always go with a higher count, so that I'm not fooling myself. So your honesty is on the level. Good luck on your journey!!! :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Wait, what? You just never eat out, never go to a party, or a wedding, or a BBQ. Simples.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    For "special" one-time meals like that, I don't log it. One day isn't going to matter in the scheme of things. Healthy diet is a lifetime lifestyle. Move on to the next day.
  • JaniceK73
    JaniceK73 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I agree with doing your best estimate and trying to make sure the next day (or few) are more trackable. I find sometimes it gets tempting to start estimating too much and I think overall - it's so much easier to cheat yourself that way. Good luck today!
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I went to a wedding and sampled about a 1000 diffrent apps during the coctail hour, hardly touched my entree then samples about 1000 desserts. I just didnt track at all and day was left blank.
  • dldnvr
    dldnvr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wait, what? You just never eat out, never go to a party, or a wedding, or a BBQ. Simples.

Yes, I eat out, much of the time, in fact. Yes, I can guesstimate when I had the 'Pork tenderloin with a side of fluffy mashed potatos', and at a cocktail party I might try to stick to the shrimp rather than then puff pastries.

But as i'm learning to track what I eat, I'm starting to think of a nice Pot Luck as a nightmare, heh.