IBS and protein shakes

Options
just wondering if anyone else has IBS and has found a protein shake that does not aggrevate their symptoms. I tried carnation instant breakfast and it tore my guts up :( i don't want to buy anything too pricey incase it aggrevates my guts and then i wasted the money.

thank you in advance!

Replies

• timd50
    timd50 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Why not just go with egg whites or some grilled boneless/skinless chicken breast? Protein shakes are convenient and help macros, but for the most part there all pretty similar composition wise. Are you mixing with milk or water? I've noticed mixing milk with protein shakes (which are all whey protein which is derived from milk) has tended to screw with a lot of my family.

Here's a livestrong article about it: http://www.livestrong.com/article/459246-protein-shakes-ibs/
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Is it possible you are lactose intolerant? Have you tried a vegan one?
  • mamawescher
    Options
    Why not just go with egg whites or some grilled boneless/skinless chicken breast? Protein shakes are convenient and help macros, but for the most part there all pretty similar composition wise. Are you mixing with milk or water? I've noticed mixing milk with protein shakes (which are all whey protein which is derived from milk) has tended to screw with a lot of my family.

Here's a livestrong article about it: http://www.livestrong.com/article/459246-protein-shakes-ibs/

I mix with milk. i never have had a problem with dairy. i am thinking it has to be the protein in the shakes. I want to increase protien/calories when i am not necessarily hungry. i sometimes get to the end of my day and i am short on calories by quite a bit. i don't want to go into starvation mode.
  • mamawescher
    Options

which ones are vegan ones?? didn't even know that they existed! I am not lactose intolerant. i eat dairy daily :)
  • bombedpop
    bombedpop Posts: 2,184 Member
    Options
    I have IBS-A and I do well with Twinlab Hydrolyzed Collagen Protein (http://www.vitacost.com/twinlab-lpp-hydrolyzed-collagen-protein). It's fairly cheap to try if it bothers you.

The Twinlab collagen protein does have whey in it, but it doesn't bother meat all like straight whey powder -whey powder is murder on the digestive/colon/GI, even if you are lactose tolerant! It tastes like bitter medicine, but whatever, you don't mix it and just take 2 straight tablespoons.

I do take whey powder (Optimum AnyWhey unflavored) once or twice a week if I need to up my protein more, like today I will. I also won't take the whey protein multiple days in a row. When using whey powder, I mix it with Heather's Acacia Fiber (http://www.vitacost.com/heathers-tummy-care-tummy-fiber-organic-acacia-senegal-pouch), and take digestive enzymes with it. Mixing with the fiber totally makes it tolerable and does not aggravate my IBS.

I highly recommend Heather's IBS products if you are not familiar - have been using for years and have made a huge difference (that's off topic of protein though).
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options

which ones are vegan ones?? didn't even know that they existed! I am not lactose intolerant. i eat dairy daily :)

I use Garden of Life - Raw Protein (It's vegan and wheat free.)
  • DLKeeble
    DLKeeble Posts: 200 Member
    Options

I eat dairy but am Lactose intolerant. I can eat cheese, yogurt, but can not do milk or ice cream. Try lactose free milk just to be sure it isn't the milk.
  • 512cheangela
    Options

I use Garden of Life - Raw Protein (It's vegan and wheat free.)

I also use Garden of Life Raw Protein. It's easily added to just about anything as it doesn't have a lot of taste to it.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I have coeliacs plus other food intolerances and allergies and have ended up using pb2 to ad protein to smoothies to help increase protein.
  • aprilOh9
    aprilOh9 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Many of the commercial protein shakes are VERY sugary, or have Splenda/sucralose which can really upset your stomach. I know how you feel--I've tossed containers of powder because I feel like throwing up after a few sips. I've found brown rice protein powder is so much better in that regard, and it's vegan. There are a few makers, but the one I buy is from a company called MLO. Do you have a health food store in your area? Some of the chain supermarkets like Hannaford will have this in their "natural" food section too. Now, since it doesn't have the sugar or flavoring, it does not taste good on it's own. I freeze a banana the night before and then put it in the blender with the powder and some Almond milk (you could use cow's milk too, but the almond milk adds a little sweetness and more calcium!)
  • mommamorris
    mommamorris Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i have it too but i dont use protein shakes i just eat eggs, and chicken, etc to get my protein! good luck finding something that works for you!
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Carnation has also mutilated me in the past. So has Premier Nutrition. I like Isopure, you can get it pretty cheap on bodybuilding.com's store! Packs in a multi-vitamin too.