How long after eating should you wait?

Options
I am a newbie at this and was wondering how long you should leave between eating and running / exercising? My problem is i have the children all day and then hubby gets in at about 6.30 - 7pm, i tend to go straight out then to the gym or for a run. This means i dont usually get to eaat until about 8.30 - 9pm. by that time i tend to get a bit past being hungry and its a real effort. If i try to eat earlier then i end up having to cook twice!! What to do????

Replies

• Robinsond61
    Options
    Since it's the summer, and I'm a college student, I usually make/eat a breakfast around 9am, and then leave for the gym around 10...start my workout at 1015. I feel when I go right after eating it makes me feel nauseous, but that may be just me. So from my personal experience...about an hour. I am by no means an expert, I just do what feels right to me.

Good luck
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I don't run, but I can't eat before I hit the gym to lift because I feel too tired and I know I'd feel queasy (sp) during my workout. How about trying to prepare your meal the night before and then you can eat at say 4-4:30. You can still sit with the family when they eat, but you won't have to worry about eating too late, plus you'll have time to digest before your running.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I don't usually eat before workouts, but had a protein shake about an hour ago, and am going to do my Tabata. It makes me feel pukey anyway, and hopefully, I won't this time around.
  • punkahontas71
    punkahontas71 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    when you cook for the family cook for yourself. just leave something off of your plate. Late in the day I try to leave off the carb and have more protein. we do breakfast for dinner once a week. I make french toast, eggs and a side of veggies for everyone else, and for myself i make a 3 egg white omelet with spinach onions and sometimes cheese..YUMMY:smile::smile:
  • MissyBenj
    MissyBenj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I like to eat something about 30 minutes before I work out. My meals are small, and healthy so it's nothing heavy on my stomach and it gives me the energy I need for my run/lifting.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I have a very similar routine and find at least an hour if I have my full evening meal, sometimes ill have something smaller about half an hour before then my dinner when I get in though. HTH!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's different for different people, but I have trouble running on anything other than a totally empty stomach. I prefer to even be a little hungry. Many other exercises I can do within an hour after eating.
  • blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    Options
    Depends on the person...I typically have to wait 2-3 hours or I get ETAP( side stitch) , but my husband only waits like 30 minutes and is fine.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I agree with the eat at 4 p.m. poster. Then maybe a banana, or something, easily digested about three quarters of an hour before you actually go.