Father not helping.

Options
I don't want to seem mean or anything to my dad, I love him but I just think he really isn't helping me lose weight.
For one thing, both my sister and I are on myftinesspal, both of us are encouraging him to use it but he just doesn't, and it feels like he isn't trying to help himself which is hard as I currently live with him, and when he feels down it makes it just as hard on me as I have depression and have tried to help.
Next, when he cooks my meals, he always puts so much food on, and the issue with this is we can't afford to waste food (especially how he continuous states about money), and he knows I'm trying to lose weight, and it doesn't feel like it's helping me at all, it feels like the opposite.
Lastly, this really hurt my feelings earlier today, to the point I'm almost in tears. My dad got a madeira cake from somewhere, and it says serves 16, he made a joke of serves 16 or one Aggie (My nick name). I could take that as a joke, but it was when he actually got a pen and on the cover wrote that and then when my sister and her boyfriend visited earlier he showed them. It's like he is trying to make me feel worse about my weight when he knows I've struggled with it for years.
Sorry about this vent, I just feel really down about this after I've worked hard the last month to lose 9 ish pounds.

Replies

• twinmom14ek
    twinmom14ek Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're feeling discouraged. It can be difficult trying to make lifestyle changes while living with someone who isn't fully on board with your efforts. It's great that both you and your sister are using MFP, but it sounds like your father may not be ready to accept the changes that need to be made for his own health. As much as you love him, you can't make him change, and he has to get to a place where he wants it for himself.

That said, maybe you can have a conversation with him about some of the issues you mention. It can be hard to say no to food that someone makes for you. For many people, food has very close emotional ties--we can associate it with family gatherings and the love of the person who prepared it for us. Perhaps you can explain to him that you very much appreciate when he cooks for you, but you are limiting the amount (and possibly type) of food you are eating in order to become a healthier and happier version of yourself. Regarding the waste issue--look at it this way. You can waste food by not eating it, or you can waste it by eating too much and carrying it around on your body. Suggest your dad store leftovers for meals the following day, or simply cut down on the quantity he prepares. Either way should ultimately help cut down the household cost of food--remember, the less you're consuming, the less he has to buy!

Lastly, you are absolutely allowed to feel hurt by your dad's joke. It sounds a little mean-spirited and definitely taken too far. Again, a frank (and hopefully calm) conversation with him might be the best answer. Something along the lines of, "Dad, I know you were just joking around, but it really hurt my feelings when you wrote my name on the cake. I know I've had issues with food for a long time, but I'm trying to change that. It makes it harder to keep going when I feel like you're not supportive." Hopefully he's receptive to this, but remember--this is ultimately your choice and your responsibility to yourself. Letting others undermine your efforts at weight loss only hurts you. You cannot control your dad's actions; you can only control how you react to them.

Losing nine pounds in a month is great progress, and you should be so proud of yourself! With or without your dad's support, you can do this--MFP has a great community and plenty of people who are here to help you on your way. Feel free to friend me if you need another cheerleader. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Emathea
    Emathea Posts: 11
    Options
    Honestly, we are aware we can't change him, but we have often tried to encourage him to use MFP due to how wonderful we think it is, and he always complains how he needs to lose weight but never does anything about even though his health right now sucks. But in the end I know you are right, I don't intend to force him to change.
    My dad and I do tend to eat together at dinner time and such as sort of a bonding thing, and I have repeatedly mentioned that I don't want that much food, but he never seems to pay attention (he is always like that) and actually listen. I do love how you describe the waste of food, and actually I kind of see that in a new light, I think from now on I will make sure that I don't have too much to eat and just think 'I can store this, I don't have to eat it right now', it actually never occurred to me to do that.
    I'm glad you agree with me on this, I ended up on the phone to my boyfriend actually crying over something this small, but once again, you are right, I control how I feel about this, and if I don't want to feel upset I shouldn't. Though I would talk to him, we don't go into emotional talks and when we do, it's often seen as a joke.
    Thank you, you have no idea how happy I was when I saw the scales, I was literally beaming all day, for a while anyway.
    I want to thank you, you have made me feel better, and I wish you all the luck with your weight as well. X
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could take over more of the cooking or at least step in and say "you've done all the work cooking it, I'll plate it". And if you can't do that, I say eat as much of your plate as will make you satisfied and then take your plate out to the kitchen and put the rest in a leftover container. If he questions you, just say "I don't want to waste what I can't eat so I'll just set that aside for lunch tomorrow".

Sounds to me that you and Dad are eating buddies so he may not be consious of it but he knows you'll eat as much as he will and that makes he feel less bad about his choices and portions. You're just going to have to keep talking to him about it and keep reminding him, as annoying as it may be. And once he sees how well the program is working for you, maybe he'll decide to join in. Right now he may be thinking "yeah, this is just another one of those diets my girls try" and doesn't think it'll work long term. Be patient and give it time and who knows, maybe he'll come around.
  • veerichie
    veerichie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Sorry your dad isn't being supportive :( you didn't deserve that comment about the cake.

It's really nice to have supportive friends and family members. It's even better to have friends and family members on this journey with you. But the fact of the matter is you can't force your dad to follow suit and start a weight loss journey. And hate to say it but you can't force him to be supportive either.

That being said, here are some suggestions for you:

If you feel guilty about wasting food, and eat it instead, DON'T. Only eat a reasonable portion and save the rest in the fridge for later. Whatever it is you are eating be sure you track it. If you keep eating it, your food habits are not changing for the better.

You could let your dad know that this is important to you and you NEED his support. If he still isn't going to give in then let him know that you will be making your own food, or even better, you can make something that everyone can eat. You can enter your recipe in MFP and lighten it up so it wont hinder your weight loss. Maybe that will even show your dad that eating healthy/light can be delicious.

If your dad is cooking something unhealthy or something that is going to throw you off, you don't HAVE to eat it. Just let him know "Dad, you know I'm trying to eat healthier. Thanks for making supper, but I'm going to eat on my own."

I have unsupportive co-workers too. When I first started they were very supportive. Now they try so hard to get me to go out to lunch with them or eat doughnuts they brought in. I just tell them, no thanks, I brought my own lunch or snack, yet they continue to pressure me.

Basically, in the end it all comes down to your decisions and your choices. You can't help that your dad is unsupportive, and even teasing you because of your weight. But, you can help make your own choices of what you are eating and what you are putting in your body.

Hope that helps a little. Good luck.