Staying fit while having a desk job

Options
This is my first time ever posting so I am actually a little nervous.... weird I know.

I have a job where I sit most of the day. While I try to move as much as I can and walk 30 mins a day up and down some very steep hills its hard to stay active enough and still get work done.

My question or questions are:

I just joined a gym and one of the things they told me (maybe in an effort to get me to buy sessions with the PT) is that sitting all day weakens the hip muscles a lot and that could be why I experience so much pain in my lower legs when I run. They said that with training and exercising my hip muscles and the other core muscles this will less my pain.

Does anyone have any exerience with this? If so what kind of exercises did you do (or are you doing) to resolve this?

Do you think it would behoove me actually use a PT to get started?

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    This is my first time ever posting so I am actually a little nervous.... weird I know.

I have a job where I sit most of the day. While I try to move as much as I can and walk 30 mins a day up and down some very steep hills its hard to stay active enough and still get work done.

I just joined a gym and one of the things they told me (maybe in an effort to get me to buy sessions with the PT) is that sitting all day weakens the hip muscles a lot and that could be why I experience so much pain in my lower legs when I run. They said that with training and exercising my hip muscles and the other core muscles this will less my pain.

Does anyone have any exerience with this? If so what kind of exercises did you do (or are you doing) to resolve this?

Thanks everyone!

That sounds kinda silly to me. Just start working out and work up to running. I mean, in general, there are so many things wrong with desk jobs that it's not even funny. It's not a natural human movement. So, it causes stress to the spine, hips, and all kinds of various issues. Every massage therapist starts on my shoulders, and then asks, "desk job?"

Just doing general fitness will fix your problems. There is no magic. Diet and excercise.
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I work from home at a desk all day. I have a back/neck injury from a car accident in 96 and can say that all the sitting does leave me in a bit of pain. I have ran in the past and have had to build myself up to it. I would say to continue taking frequent breaks away from the desk. This will help to prevent that muscle soreness. I have resulted to a large pillow for extra padding (may not work for you). I train at home. Just started the P90X and have been doing Zumba which helps to loosen those sore muscles. I was paying a PT but was doing better on my own. One day one step at a time and go slow.
  • mrskellit
    mrskellit Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree, it sounds a tad bit silly (only from the working-to-running perspective). I've been working a desk job for, oh, 12 years? I just started running in the past year or so. I don't think your sedentary job has anything to do with leg pain while running. Are you starting out slow? I did the runners world beginner program, where you start running about 1 minute at a time for the first week, gradually working up to the ability to run 30 minutes straight.

I agree though that you should always, always take frequent breaks at work--both for your body and your mind! Do a few stretches at your desk.

Good luck to you!
  • lwernette
    Options
    Look up bridge exercise on youtube. This helps strengthen your glutes, core, hips, etc.

It may help to start with a PT for a few sessions or have them write you up a program and run through it with you and do it on your own.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    weighted squats and deadlifts are really helping me strengthen my hips. as well as olympic style lifts like push presses and snatches
  • kekpron
    kekpron Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have a a desk job and a PT - it does help especially if you are new to working out / weight training. For cardio, most exercises are fairly strait-forward and if you are experiencing a lot of pain from it you may not be stretching/warming up sufficiently or are moving too fast (as in trying to run faster than your body is really ready for at this point). Also, make sure you have good shoes for running, it sounds like a little thing, but it really can make a world of difference.

A combination routine of weight training and cardio will yield better results than cardio alone so you may want to try to integrate some weights (especially leg exercises - Squats, lunges etc if you plan on running). A PT is adviseable even for a short stint if you are not at all familiar with weights or form while lifting.

Good luck and keep at it!
  • mommasox
    mommasox Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have been starting slow with the running. The first couple of weeks I did a minuet at a time with a 90 second or 2 min fast walk in between. Now I am up to about two mins running at a time with 90 second break (fast walk). Kind of a modified C25K.

I thought what they said was a bit silly too. I am glad I asked. I just figured that my years of sedatary life style is why I am so sore. The membership comes with 2 PT sessions so I think I will just stick with that for now.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i'm not an expert but i do have a desk job and i sit all day except when i go to the gym at lunch time. i think it's hooey. if you are experiencing pain it's not from your desk job unless you stand at your desk all day long. make sure you're stretching before and after. when you say lower legs do you mean your calf muscles/shins? or just the lower part of your thigh (but above your knee cap)? maybe you're pushing yourself too hard - slow down a bit, stretch beforehand and see if that helps.

Thanks everyone!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    While at the desk, Fit Deck Office:

http://fitdeck.com/fitness-bodyweight-only/office/

Outside of office hours, just start off slowly with whatever exercise you want to do. If you experience muscle aches, etc., that is fine, but if you find that you are developing an injury, see a PT for sure. Pilates can help develop your core. Yoga can help loosen the hips. But just doing something is key!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have worked a desk job for the last decade. It is part of the reason that I gained so much weight. Having said that, I simply decided to set aside a half hour every night to work out. I started the C25K program. I have lost almost 30 pounds in 30 days, lost 4 inches from my waist as well as 1/2 to 1.5 inches off hips, thighs, calves, neck (basically everywhere but my arms) in just a few weeks.

I haven't had any pain at all, except slight pain in my knees and muscles right after working out. (I do strength training on the days that I don't do C25K) The soreness always disappears after a good night's sleep.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The sitting at all day causing problems might not be right HOWEVER it is possible that a weakness in your lower back/upper glutes is causing trouble further down in your legs. I had hip and knee issues when I first started running and after doing some research, I found out this is actually fairly common for runners. Definitely agree with doing bridges/pelvic thrusts and also look into doing supermans and deadlifts.

I would recommend going to see a PT for the simple reason that if you're going to do any strength training, whether it's with free weights or using the machines, having someone show you the ropes the first few times is very beneficial. You need to make sure you have the proper form (especially with those deadlifts!!) or you may injure yourself. Let them know up front that you just want say 5 sessions and would like to go on your own after that. You can always ask for their (or another PT's) assistance again later if you need it.

Also, get yourself some really good running shoes - I mean go to a specialty store and be properly fitted. It's amazing how much of a difference it makes! Totally worth the investment! Even with the lower back/core exercises, I'd still get pain in my knee now and then but ever since I got my Brooks from the Maine Running Company, I have had no issues AND I can run faster and farther!
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    My problem is that being at a desk makes me want to eat while I'm at the desk! Luckily I'm only at the desk about 5 hours a day or I don't know what I'd do. I bring snacks and tell myself I'm going to space them out throughout the day but a half hour in I break down and eat it all. I need to figure out how to break the habit because I know I'm only eating because I'm bored.
  • cuarrech
    cuarrech Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If you're really committed, you could get a treadmill or a stationary bike and modify your desk to work with those, or do what I did and get a short recumbent with a low/foldable or removable display.. There're some videos on YouTube that show examples from people that have rigged up similar stuff. Even exercise balls or desk chair/ball hybrids can be useful and maybe a bit less weird if you work in a public building, but you can still wiggle and do mini-squats on them all day.

A couple months ago I bought a low folding recumbent stationary bike secondhand for only $70 that fits under the desk I use, no modification necessary other than folding down the display on it. I like the bike because I don't have to pedal all the time if I need to concentrate at periods, and I can increase the intensity for short periods whenever I feel like getting out some energy. It seemed like it would be more of a pain to adjust speed or pause on an electric treadmill. It also means I accumulate hundreds of calories burned every day just from slowly moving my legs. I can feel them getting stronger and more endurance, too. It's great.