Suggestions PLEASE!!

Options
TweedleDebo
TweedleDebo Posts: 423 Member
Starting this week, not only am I trying to eat healthy & shed some pounds, but my girlfriend is, too. We have decided that after the soda that is currently in the house is gone that there will be NO MORE. If we want caffeine we will get it from coffee or tea. We are going to drink more water & incorporate juices into our lives in the place of Mt Dew & Pepsi.

We want to find healthy, low-calorie recipes to try that are not only tasty to us, but will be kid-friendly, too. We have an 11 year old boy & 9 year old girl. They aren't super picky, but if it doesn't taste good then they would rather starve.

Please send me some good recipes for not only healthy meals, but also healthy snacks & sweet yummy goodness that tastes & looks like they would be horrible for you!!

Thanks for your help!

Deb

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I have recipes on my blog on my page if you want to check those out :smile: I add more as I cook!

It's great you are ditching the soda and replacing for better drinks! Great job!
  • _Sara_A_
    _Sara_A_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Tinola with Bok Choy and Carrots

1 Tbsp Canola Oil
    6 cloves Garlic
    1/2 yellow onion, cut in half
    1/4 cup ginger root
    300g chicken breast
    1 container bok choy
    6 cups water
    1 chicken oxo cube
    1 tsp salt
    2 carrots, cut in chunks

Heat oil in pot. Add garlic and brown. Add the onion and sliced ginger; saute. Add chicken and water and bring to a boil. Add oxo cube, and salt, continue to boil. When chicken is cooked add bok choy and carrots chunks.

Per Serving: Calories 110 Carbs 9 Fat 3 Protein 13
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Kudos on giving up the soda! I did that too.

Read the labels on the juice before you buy. A lot of them are absolute junk.

Get the kids to help with the meal preparation. I found that got mine to try things because "they made it".
  • S108HAN
    S108HAN Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Recommending you avoid the juices too. They'll eat into calorie allowance and the fructose will make you hungry too. Have you thought about faloured waters?
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I would recommend skinnytaste.com ...I'm so picky and don't like a ton of "weird" :) things in my meals! I've found some great recipes on there that are really good. And she includes all the nutrional info.
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    totally agree with the others. Fruit juices are full of sugar! My motto is to never drink my calories. (well except for my 40 calorie greens) I put lemon/lime slices in my water if I get sick of plain water. Eat the actual fruit if you want the sweetness. It's much better for you and oh so yummy! My kids LOVE veggie and fruit plates. They actually request them. Just chop up a bunch of veggies or fruit and arrange them on a tray..they get to pick what they want and they're getting nutrition.

I'm really not much help with recipe's as we grill pretty much every protein we eat, we play around with different seasonings. We eat a huge variety of vegetables cooked in coconut oil and garlic.

One recipe we recently did that was SO good was ground chicken cooked and chopped up, stuffed inside large portabello (sp?) mushrooms and thrown on the grill. Topped it with some fresh herbs and oh my...

Good luck and congrats on your decision to ROCK :)
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i have two kids, i try to make kid friendly meals or meals i can alter slightly for DD so she'll eat it.
    i love everything on www.skinnytaste.com and www.cookinglight.com
    i cook almost exclusively from those two sites and haven't had one fail.

something else i do, is when i eat something good at a restaurant i make my own version at home no recipe needed. like simple things. the other day i had a grilled chicken flatbread out and it was soo good.
    im replicating at home: pita bread, homemade garlic mayo, toss grilled chicken in light cesear dressing, top with provolone slice and put in broiler, top with hot peppers. and ill pair this with a roasted veggie and salad.
  • cserg
    cserg Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    We have found that if you make a few subsitutions in most recipies you can still make the same things. For example we used to make Sloppy Joe's with the canned stuff and ground beef and a big ol hamburger bun. Now we do Extra Lean Ground Turkey and a Whole Wheat Pita pocket and the same Sloppy Joe sauce. Add a side of veggies and you have dinner for under 350 calories and I bet your kids would eat it too!!
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Check out thegraciouspantry.com she has a lot of great kid friendly recipes. One of my favorits is cheesy zucchini rice and lemon zucchini chicken.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/video/822/easy-mexican-casserole/detail.aspx

I just made this tonight and it's now my favorite meal. I changed stuff like using the Jimmy Dean Turkey Crumbles (already cooked and about 1/4 the calories of beef)

fat free sour cream, fat free shredded cheese, and baked tostidos ....the rest of the recipe is pretty calorie friendly.