Vegan Protein

Options
tsheetz
tsheetz Posts: 25 Member
I like to be able to make protein smoothies but I am not able to use Whey Protein. It tears up my stomach. Does anyone use a good vegan protein? If so, what type?

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I use vega sport or vega smoothie protein. You can order them online or check at a healthfoods store. They use mostly pea protein. I like them. If I am out of that I usually add in extra chia seeds and use some soy milk since those are higher in protein.
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I like Garden of Life Raw Protein, it does not contain whey.
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    I find Vega to be rather expensive and you don’t get very much protein for the amount of calories. I also think it tastes pretty awful. I had it and I immediately felt sick afterward.

I have tried Vega and 3 other vegan protein powders – Growing Naturals, Sunwarrior and Genuine Health brands. I like them all for different reasons, but I think Sunwarrior and Growing Naturals are my favorite. Growing Naturals is supposedly the only brown rice protein isolate powder out there, so you get a pretty good amount of protein for the calories (24g protein for 120 calories). However, I think Sunwarrior mixes a little better and tastes better. It has about 34g of protein for 140 calories (but that is in two scoops, so one scoop is 70 calories for 17g of protein).

I hear pea protein is great as well, but I have yet to try any of them.

Darn - tried to edit before Shakeology posts! Anyway, I also find Shakeology to be rather poor in terms of amount of protein for the amount of calories. It is actually not a protein powder, it is marketed as a "meal replacement" powder, which are ones I would probably recommend avoiding. They have unnecessary ingredients, and if all you need is protein, stick with something you intend on using as a protein supplement, rather than something to replace real food. I have not tried the vegan Shakeology, but the other flavors taste pretty awful, I think.
  • jesn311
    jesn311 Posts: 43
    Options
    shakeology has a vegan shake that is made of brown rice etc. Message me and I can send you more information on it.
  • daniel1hp
    Options
    Go onto some sort of reivew site like http://veganproteinpowders.net and buy the highest rated one by the reviewer on there. I wouldn't take any chances cause some of them taste really bad. At the same time, though, some of them taste heavenly!