Need Runners Advice Plse :-)

Options
Calling all you runners out there, either road or treadmill I need some advice :-)

I'm getting real foot pain now on my runs, it is mainly in the left foot along the bottom left side. It goes from the ball to the heel.

I sometimes get it in the right to, but not all the time

Any ideas or suggestions what it might be or what I can do ?

Replies

• mostaverage
    mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    First thing - have you been fitted for shoes by a good running shop?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    First thing - have you been fitted for shoes by a good running shop?

^^ this ^^
  • DeniseChilver
    DeniseChilver Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    hiya, yes I have I'm running in Mizuno Wave Creation 13 :-)
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Could be plantar fasciitis. There is a lot of information on symptoms and how to treat out there on the web, it is a very common (unfortunately!) injury that runners face. I would ice after every run, use ibuprofen, and probably stay off it for awhile if it is really bothering you. Also, make sure you always do an active warm up prior to running, and a really good stretch session afterwards.
  • Devona14
    Devona14 Posts: 171
    Options
    Could be plantar fasciitis. There is a lot of information on symptoms and how to treat out there on the web, it is a very common (unfortunately!) injury that runners face. I would ice after every run, use ibuprofen, and probably stay off it for awhile if it is really bothering you. Also, make sure you always do an active warm up prior to running, and a really good stretch session afterwards.
    This is what it sounds like to me, too. I had to be fitted with orthotics a couple of years ago. I run in them now, too. One trick that worked for me is to freeze a coke bottle of water. I'd then put it on the floor and put my arch on it. I'd roll it back and forth. The firmness of the ice, as well as the cold, helped a lot with the inflamation. Plus, I had 3 cortizone injections. I think if you start "fixing" it now, you won't have to have the shots.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Ice & moderate use of ibuprofen. Consider if there are any stretches you can do that will help. My problem area is my left calf, and I'm constantly icing after runs (pack a cooler with ice pack and calf wrap to ice immediately after runs) and stretching. If the shoes are relatively new, perhaps go back to the running shop and see if they think a different shoe may help or give some guidance.!
  • IAmFranciscoB
    Options

Hit it right on the head. I had this 3 weeks before my first marathon. The only thing you can really do is stay off it. Legitimately no running whatsover and using a tennis pull to roll out the tendons in your lower leg which pull on the underside of your foot.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Well first and foremost, how are your shoes? Foot pain is usually an indicator of bad shoes, or shoes that are just worn and need to be replaced. Invest in a good pair of running shoes that are designed for your running style (how your foot pronates, heel striker vs mid striker, etc). You can go to a specialty running store where they can help you determine this information, and Runners World has some great resources online as well.

Also, bear in mind running shoes need to be replaced every 300-500 miles, so if your shoes are old, it may be time to get some new ones.

Other than that, try some stretches after each run. I get arch pain and calf tightness, so I bust out a couple downward dogs after each run since those stretch all the muscles I need. Also, icing diligently is always a good idea. Best of luck!
  • mostaverage
    mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    echo the advice given - I've been really lucky in that i haven't had any real pain or injuries to deal with but I always perform a dynamic stretching warm up routine, walk as a cooldown and then do some static calf, hamstring and quad stretches
  • DeniseChilver
    DeniseChilver Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    hiya, yes I have I'm running in Mizuno Wave Creation 13 :-)

runners have less than 50 miles on the clock, I thought at 1st it might be because they were new, you know a break in thing.

might try the ice etc, & give them a go without my running socks as they might not agree with the shoes