Bulking and Cutting

Options
Anyone have any good information on it? I don't know where to start. I think I get the jist of out, but I'd like to fully understand. If you have a link or anything, that would be great! thank you.

-- Not talking about incorporating them at the same time, I just know that they complement eachother.

Replies

• nickmast78
    Options
    Let me know how that works out for you. Aka, NOT gonna happen.

You either bulk and put on weight or cut and maintain muscle.

Edit: Here is a good link for ya http://www.discussbodybuilding.com/Cutting-and-Bulking-for-Dummies-101-m194667.aspx
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options

I don't have much info to give. Just letting you know that what he said is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
  • TR56
    TR56 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

This...though you can look into leangains which can help you had muscle while keeping fat down low
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options

Wow, no need to be rude. The guy just wants some information on how to do it.

OP, try websites like bodybuiding.com and such. If you belong to a gym, you might also check in with some of the trainers there. I do believe they are correct in that you can't do both at the same time, so you have to do it in phases.
  • nickmast78
    Options

Wow, no need to be rude. The guy just wants some information on how to do it.

OP, try websites like bodybuiding.com and such. If you belong to a gym, you might also check in with some of the trainers there.

Not being rude. Just straight to the point. I also added a link to an article to brush up on your knowledge.
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    are you looking to bulk up or lean out? and if your a hard gainer bulking up is nt very easy
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Edit: Here is a good link for ya http://www.discussbodybuilding.com/Cutting-and-Bulking-for-Dummies-101-m194667.aspx

Did you ever consider that maybe the OP was looking for information generally about how bulking and cutting work. For example, when you bulk you do this that and the other. And when you get to your cutting cycle, here are the things you do.

I did not get the sense that he was asking how to bulk and cut at the same time.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Do them in cycles. I for one am on a cutting regimen right now, high protein/good fats, low carb. When I get down to 7% bf I'll start bulking back up with high carb/protein diets. It's time consuming but ideally after a few of these cycles I'd like to be 190-200 and <8% bf.

It CAN be done at the same time, but it is extremely difficult and time consuming, and I don't know how you'd want to set your diet up, I'd recommend doing them in regimens that focus on cutting and building LBM.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I think that's what he meant, starting on a cycle of bulking, putting on muscle with minimal fat gain, then cutting, losing fat with minimal muscle loss.

Check maybe leangains.com , maybe a nice place to start. It's about Intermittent fasting which is probably something nice to use to achieve lean gains, like the name suggests :p

A few somewhat nice websites that has tons of informations (good and bad information, but again, nice starting point)
    BodyBuilding.com
    T-Nation (not sure what the website is)

Or just use general common knowledge of +/- 15% of your TDEE, up your protein intake and drop your carb intake, more drastically on rest days. On active days, be sure to get enough carbs to fuel whatever you are doing, and be very dilligent with carbs consumption, especially on rest days.

Good luck!
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    Bulking you maintain a surplus i recommend only 200 or so extra calories a day to minimize fat gain. A lot of people will do a 500 surplus per day so they gain 1 lb a week but it will be mostly fat/water/glycogen gain. To cut keep your protein to about 1g per lb of body weight and go at a 500 deficit to lose 1 lb a week but maintain muscle mass.. and btw you can't do both at the same time. you can minimize fat gains during a bulk but not lose fat its just not possible. hope this helps....
  • hik4ru123
    Options
    Thanks for so many quick posts guys. and yes, it was just general info on both, not necessarily at the same time. I think I got the general idea, I just wanted to see if there are any guidelines that I was missing that I had to implement into my routine. I want to bulk. So I consume more calories then? that's it? and my goal is gaining muscle mass as well as definition, and conditioned muscles. I don't know if that has any factor into what I should be doing. Also, I was thinking of balancing workouts that are strength, endurance, and body-weight oriented? Like many, this me wanting to get serious so any advice etc, is welcome!
  • hik4ru123
    Options
    what is bf?
  • Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    bf= body fat
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Thanks for so many quick posts guys. and yes, it was just general info on both, not necessarily at the same time. I think I got the general idea, I just wanted to see if there are any guidelines that I was missing that I had to implement into my routine. I want to bulk. So I consume more calories then? that's it? and my goal is gaining muscle mass as well as definition, and conditioned muscles. I don't know if that has any factor into what I should be doing. Also, I was thinking of balancing workouts that are strength, endurance, and body-weight oriented? Like many, this me wanting to get serious so any advice etc, is welcome!

Yeah, you really have 3 options. Cut, maintain, & bulk. First you determine how many net calories you need to maintain your weight. MFP does this for you. Generally, for a cut you decrease 500 net cal per day. 500 cal x 7 days = 3500 cal deficit; you lose a pound. Same principal with bulking. If you ate 500 cal per day over your maintenance, you would add a pound. 1000 cal over per day would be gaining 2lbs a week.

As a bulk suggestion, for your macros eat at least 1 gram of protein per lb body weight. Fill the rest in with carbs and fat as you see fit. To get lean gains, you could try intermittent fasting or try to get the majority of your calories from heathier nutrient dense foods.

YEAH BUDDY nothin like a winter bulk