Replies

• leahalissa
    leahalissa Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Saving these ideas for later!
  • jenichenny
    jenichenny Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love overnight oats. I HATE greek yogurt though. Here's how I do it.

1/2 cup oats
    1/3 soymilk
    1/2 Vanilla yogurt.

Soak overnight. Then in the morning add strawberries! yum!
  • eknobbe
    eknobbe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bump for Recipes!!!
  • jedwards7425
    jedwards7425 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bump for some recipes.
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It is the Greek yogurt that makes it so tart. I have to use truvia sweetner to take the edge off.

For my husband, I used plain yogurt. It works fine, but isn't as thick as the greek and usually not as high in protien.

I have also used a full 6 oz cup of flavored Chobani yogurt to 1/3 cup almond milk and 1/2 cup of oats. Since I already like the flavored greek yogurt ... I didn't need to add sweetner to it.
  • mhouston2011
    Options
    bump
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    This is how I do mine:

1 cup of rolled oats
    1 cup of skim milk
    1 tablespoon honey [or to taste]
    1 apple, diced
    1 banana, sliced thin
    2 tablespoons greek yogurt
    1/4 cup dried cranberries
    1/8 cup toasted, sliced almonds
    Soak the oats overnight in enough milk to cover them. In the morning, most of the milk will have been absorbed by the oats. Stir, then add in the yogurt, honey, and fresh fruit. Mix to combine. Add dried fruit and nuts. Taste and add more honey if necessary. Serves 2.

THIS^^^^ Yummy
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    All mushy oats are fu**ing gross. Baked oatmeal FTW!

How do you make yours? Right now, I do steel cut oats on the stovetop. Boil 3c water, add 1c oats and reduce heat. Stir & cook at a simmer til water is absorbed. I split it into 4 pyrex dishes, 2t brown sugar in each and split a half cup of raisins among the 4. That's been my Mon-Thurs breakfast. I LOVE the steel cut oats but can't handle the mushy instant/quick/old fashioned oats.
  • di2losew8
    di2losew8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I didn't have greek yogurt so I used plain nonfat regular yogurt. That is more liquidy so I used less milk. Actually used almond breeze vanilla unsweetened. Use 1/4 c. old fashioned oats. Then used cocoa powder, pb2, honey, and ground flax seed. Delish! Everything in the container with lid...in frig over night. I experimented with amounts and taste. Don't know if this was posted yet but this site helps a lot with recipes....http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal
  • Wol5894
    Wol5894 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats? Why?

Being from Scotland, I make porridge the old-fashioned (well almost) - and i don't apologise for the metric weights, as I have gone totally over to that for all my cooking now:

50g dry weight of oats
    125mls skimmed milk
    200 mls water

Mix all above in a large mixing bowl. (and I do mean large or it will boil over). Put in microwave, and cook for 3 minutes on full power (this is an 800 watt microwave).

Remove from microwave, stir well, return to microwave and cook for a further 2 minutes on full power.

Remove from microwave, stir, then pour into serving dish. Sprinkle sweetener powder on top (2 teaspoons). Top off with 25g of dried raisins, eh Voila - you have a lovely, creamy, portion controlled bowl of porridge.

What IS it with people wanting to add Greek yoghurt - it is not needed at all, nor are all these fancy bits of peanut butter, chocolate or whatever - just plain old oats (I think in the USA they called them steel cut or something. I buy my local supermarket's "value" line, as it seems to work better than the posh rolled oats).
    If I was doing it really properly, I would be adding only water and putting salt on it, not sweetener powder, but I can't quite take that, so I replace some of the water with milk.

My routine is to go round to the kitchen, put the kettle on to boil, make up all the ingredients in the bowl, using some of the water that is boiling from the kettle, then make my cup of tea. Put the porridge in the oven for the first 3 minutes, during which time the tea brews. Add milk to my tea, stir the porridge, put it back in for the 2nd cook, weigh out the raisins (whilst sipping tea). When 2nd cook time is over, serve the porridge, put sweetening powder on BEFORE the raisins (latter taste foul with sweetener on), then top off with the raisins. Sit and eat, whilst sipping tea (550mls of tea at that). Get dressed whilst sipping tea and out the door and off to work - simple!

That breakfast lasts me pretty much all morning - I only stop for a coffee break (real coffe made in a cafetiere - none of your instant stuff).
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Someday I'm going to try this, although I do just like regular oatmeal also.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    All I use is oats and milk, soak over night then if I want fruit, nuts, jam, protein powder I add it right before I eat it.
  • joanie152
    joanie152 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry now. Thanks all..
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I add a tsp of honey and generous shake of cinnamon to mine. I think the cinnamon really helps to offset the sour taste of the yogurt. So I do 1/3c each yogurt, coconut milk, and oats, 1/2 a mashed up banana, and the cinnamon and honey.
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I made mine with greek yogurt for the first time and I couldn't doctor it up enough to eat. :sick:

I typically do:

1/3 cup oats
    1/3 cup choclate unsweetened almond milk
    a couple spoonfulls of plain fat free yogurt (not greek)
    a glob of PB
    half a sliced banana
    cinnamon or honey if I can taste too much yogurt

YUM!