Strong Lifts 5x5 Your thoughts..

Options
Do you have thoughts?

Is it enough alone?

Should I do it?

I've been working with a trainer for several months. We incorporate weight training in our workouts but I've left my routine up to him. At the end of the month I'm moving out of state and routine will be up to me. I'm trying to make a decision on what is going to best transform and sculpt my body... but be simple all at the same time. I still have some weight to lose as well.

Currently...

Squats 100 x 15 4 sets
Bench 45 x 15 4 sets
Rows 30's x 15 4 sets (dumb bells)
Overhead press 30's x 15 4 sets (dumb bells)
Dead lift 135 probably more.. but I've limited this b/c of a back injury a few months ago, I've just not really pushed it.

Replies

• ChappyEight
    ChappyEight Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Can't go wrong with StrongLifts, Starting Strength, or JCDfitness beginner routine.

www.stronglifts.com
    www.startingstrength.com
    www.jcdfitness.com

Any one of those three will get you on the right path to strength training.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    That program is infinitely better than just some random isolation and machine excercises for the same muscle groups.
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to try it tomorrow ..... we'll see how it goes. Must admit that the bars and the heavy equipment make me a bit intimidated
  • ChappyEight
    Options
    If you have an iPhone, don't forget to download the SL5x5 app. It's a great way to track your progress and it keeps your timing correct during your workout.

Don't get intimidated, get strong! Remember, most of the guys using the equipment don't have any more of a clue than you.
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have done the SL 5x5. Fantastic program. I currently have my wife, mother and father in laws doing that program. They have all made huge changes. They all look great and feel even better.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to try it tomorrow ..... we'll see how it goes. Must admit that the bars and the heavy equipment make me a bit intimidated

Start with just the bars; intimidation halved ;)
  • ChappyEight
    Options

Start with just the bars; intimidation halved ;)

This man is a genius!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    It's better than not having a plan or just doing a few machines and leaving but there are definitely better methods that are just as simple.
  • CWSpiegel
    CWSpiegel Posts: 114
    Options
    If you can, try getting with a trainer that can teach you, with PROPER FORM, how to do Cleans, Snatches, and Jerks (and all the Power, Hang, etc variations on them). They are explosive compound lifts, a lot of fun, and get the heart rate up. Also, some dumbell rows never hurt anybody.

My only criticism, and its a very tiny one at that, is that you could bring the weight up and drop the reps down. I like 6 x 2 or 3 for full body compound lifts and 3 x 5 for others like push press and front/back squats.