How did you pick your goal weight?

Options
I currently weigh 225 and I am 5' 5" I put 150 for a goal weight. I just put in what my old weight watchers goal was. Does anyone know if that is a healthy weight for me I am a 40 year old female if that helps. How do you figure out what you goal weight should be?

Replies

• ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I don't have a really good answer for you, but can offer some perspective. I'm 5'5" and 37 yrs old. My original goal weight was also 150, because that would put me in the "average" bmi range. I've since adjusted my goal weight several times as I hit the goals I was working towards. Along the way have plateaued and maintained as I've struggled to figure out where I really want/need to be. I've also learned that weight itself is not the only or even the most important measure of health or fitness. I'm currently at 135lbs and focused more on achieving fitness goals and looking at my body fat percentage.
    I would say go ahead and set your initial goal at 150, but also set smaller goals for yourself along the way. Keep track of your measurements because the scale might not always tell the whole story. When you get to 150 you can evaluate your body composition and how you feel, and then determine if that is where you want to be, or if you want to set another goal for yourself. Keep in mind it is a long term process and a lifestyle change, and you will likely make adjustments along the way.
    One last suggestion - lift weights! As I said, the scale doesn't tell the entire story. Lifting weights will help change your body composition and you will feel thinner, stronger, and generally more fit at whatever weight you are.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    What I did was I found an "ideal" body fat percentage that I'd like. So, I chose 8% (Dunno if I can get that, but would be fabulous to do so).

From there, I determined my current body fat %.

After that, I found out how many pounds I'd have to lose based on that.
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    150 lbs. gives you a BMI of 25, which is perfect for an initial goal. Once you get closer to that goal, you can decide if it should be higher or lower based on how your body looks.
  • sissyr75
    sissyr75 Posts: 24
    Options
    I am 37 and also 5'5. I set my goal weight as 135, but everyone has their own goal. I was around that weight when I was in the Army but that was also 15 years ago. Lol. Since I am older maybe that would be to low. Idk. I am just going by how I feel each time I lose weight. I guess no one can say for sure what a perfect goal is, I suppose. My doctor told me to only go down to 160. I don't know how accurate all this BMI stuff is but anything from 150 to below is healthy zone.

Funny thing, I just read online the average woman today is about 5'4 and weighs 140-150 and wears a size 12/14. Also says waist size is 34-35 in. Back in the 50's it was 5'3-4, weigh 120 and wear a size 8. Waist size back then 24-25 in. Yet designers make clothes in size 4!!!
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    I picked my goal weight because that's what it says I weigh on my driver's license!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I picked 141 lbs because not only does it put squarely in the middle of the "normal" weight range for my height, but it would also mean 100 pounds.

However, the goals I'm most concerned about are medium shirts and a 32 inch waist. If I reach them at say 150 I may decide I'm going to maintain that weight. I've hit most of my other goals like not being afraid to climb stairs, running a 5k without stopping. Running a 10k even if I had to mix in walking without dying, and next month doing the warrior dash. I'm considering attempting a 1/2 marathon next year, but I still have to build my endurance and cardio.

Oh, and I'd like to be able to bench press my own weight.
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I started at 180 on here. My initial goal was 153. Because that's the smallest I had really ever been. Then I adjusted as I lost weight and became more fit. I now am 137, smaller than I ever have been, and my goal right now is 130. For me it is because i want to hit 50 pounds lost...for my own satisfaction :)
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    i worked out with a personal trainer a few years ago and he wanted me at 118 lbs so that's what i'm gauging my goal on. i in fact gained a few pounds working out with him but i did look lean so i got me some muscle.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I set my goal weight to when I looked and felt my best (about 13 years ago).
  • healthychanges1
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and my goal weight is 135. I got that number by starting with 100 lbs for 5 feet and adding/subtracting 5 lbs for every inch. Incidentally, it is right in the middle of a "healthy" bmi range.
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I originally picked my high school as goal because that's the last time I was small.That didn't last long though, because I'm weight training as well. I didn't have very much muscle tone then....Soon, I was in my 140's and already in the size clothes that I was in high school. So, I went from tracking weight to tracking BF%.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I picked a number I liked and went with it.....then as I got closer I realized it was too low, so I upped it to a new goal.....then as I started to build muscle I realized to have a nice toned, fit body I would have to weigh more I upped it again.....so now I can be the size I want (based on clothing, bf % etc) but I'll have to weigh 17 lbs more than I thought to account for all my muscle mass.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBeTOO7aeZh0D0PRd86pYchX8XXndmVzaf-DnxzCxoayGkEpm9

+

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRyS4rYF0REprCX6n5GwjUFb2m-T13itmJgIePE_HedtDq6qkWiow

Too bad I didn't land on 1000. Would have been fun while it lasted!!!! ;-)
  • Moniqua1
    Moniqua1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My suggestion to you is to set several small goals for yourself that way, it keeps you motivated! You won't know your "ideal weight" right now, your body will let you know. I thought my ideal weight was 117, I'm there and I still have things I want to work on (I'm 5'2, btw) your self image is more important than the number on the scale, but I do think scale victorious in the beginning are great!
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I picked the middle of the healthy BMI chart for my height. Where I finally land is still an open question, but it'll be somewhere in there I'm sure.
  • tara_seay
    tara_seay Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I picked what I thought I would be comfortable at. And, honestly, my goal weight is still considered "obese" 199lbs is my goal weight at 5'5". I weigh 309 right now. I am a 27 year old female, and I just feel like I look better with weight on me. I never had a problem being a big girl even at 275, 290 even.. until my scale hit 300+, and I started having problems with "fitting" in certain chairs or realized I exceeded weight limits on certain things...

I think overall, you think about what is "healthy" or "comfortable" for you - not anyone else's standards, especially not society's!
  • curvyvegan
    curvyvegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I picked my comfortable high school/college weight of 145 lbs (I'm 5'10"). Also, when I plug this into a BMI calculator it's about 20 or 21...somewhere around there, which is right in the middle of the healthy range.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I calculated the best BMI for my height and body build.
  • amonroe1343
    amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to do small weight goals along the way. I picked a goal weight based on what I think I would feel good at. I will probably adjust it when I get closer and realize what that weight looks like on me. Especially for those of us that have a long way to go, no reason that you have to stick to your goal weight that you set now. My current one is at 160 and I think my weight watchers one was 1550 or 155 so its close to there. I just want to be healthy and fit.