Pizza calories

Options
How does one estimate the calories in a slice of NYC style pizza? I know they can vary wildly. I am not gonna bring a scale to the party, so does anyone have an estimate based on how long/wide the slice is?

Replies

• everfart
    Options
    you could probably thumb it by finding the amount of calories for the cheese, the bread, and the sauce and putting them together.

finding the amounts on pizza will be difficult, but not impossible imo
  • tammys_changing
    Options
    You can try their website for nutritional info. I know for example (Johnny's New York Style Pizza) says - 1 slice pepperoni is about 370 calories.
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    Have you tried searching on MFP? Also, just one slice of pizza from Papa Johns netted me almost 300 calories. ONE SLICE. Id be VERY careful with pizza. Its not just the calories that's not good....

Erica
  • natwen
    natwen Posts: 81
    Options
    The pizza will come from a family restaurant so no nutrition info there. I know pizza is evil, but I have enough calories left today (i hope!) for a slice or two.
  • nrbromert
    nrbromert Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I agree, in my experience pizza is not worth the calories for me. You are to expect 300+ calories for a large cheese slice. 300 is on the MINIMUM side, a cheese slice can go over 400. I have found that I don't have the will power to have one or two slices so I just avoid it.
  • amiscci
    amiscci Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Ugh. We had NY style pizza last night. I put it in at 350 cals -- had ONE and then made myself a huge bowl of yummy oatmeal mixed w Greek yogurt which I think I enjoyed MORE!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Pizza is always worth the calories for me. :heart:

I regularly have half a DiGiorno rising crust (because 4 or 5 bucks to feed two people without making a big mess is pretty sweet) and that's about 800-1000 calories, depending on toppings. So I would guess about 300-400 calories per slice on a large pie cut into 8 slices sounds about right.

Also keep in mind that "going over your calories" doesn't mean "gain weight" unless you not only go over your maintenance calories, but eat enough to offset the deficit you've had going the rest of the week.
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    You can't just look at the calories. You have to consider the fat (mono, poly, sat, trans), cholesterol, carbs, sodium, etc. Read up on it people. Its not always about the calories that you must keep an eye on.

Just be careful and know your limitations.

Erica
  • natwen
    natwen Posts: 81
    Options
    So I played it safe and only had one slice. Hawaiian. It was yummy! Oh, and I had a Blue Moon to go with it ;)
    Actually I was under my calories cause I had saved so many in preparation for pizza, then got scared and only had one slice. I'd say pizza is worth it once in a while, especially when everyone around you is having some.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I had Naked Pizza last night -- not greasy at all and so good. About 200 cals/slice.
  • laprovocateur
    laprovocateur Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    a million. enjoy that ƒu¢ker and go for a run later.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The pizza will come from a family restaurant so no nutrition info there. I know pizza is evil, but I have enough calories left today (i hope!) for a slice or two.

IMHO< pizza is not evil. It can be high in calories, but it can also include all your macros: protein, carbs, fat. Choose leaner meats and add veggies.

Slices can vary greatly. I usually eat just one large slice at about 300 calories, unless it's chicken/spinach, in which case it's only about 250. If it's dinner (when I take in more calories), then I will eat two slices. Just don't do the breadsticks or any "dessert" pizza, and plan the rest of your calories for the day around the party.
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    a million. enjoy that ƒu¢ker and go for a run later.

Good response! (cracking up!!) lol