I dont mind lifting weights but..

Options
how should I do it, do I start strength training now while Im losing weight or until Im close to my goal weight? and why for your answer? I've been running for the past month and a half and lost 19 pounds, I love running, did it also before I got pregnant. so should I focus on my upper body?

Replies

• fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I think you should do both at the same time, focusing more on what your main goal is .
  • nickmast78
    Options
    Cardio, High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) and strength training will all help you lose weight. It is proven that strength training actually burns more calories because it continues to burn calories for 48-72 hours after.

I prefer to do a mix of both. 3 days of strength training and 3 days of cardio per week. I do my cardio in intervals. Get that heart rate up for a while and bring it back down, back up, back down, Etc.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Ideally, you should have started doing it yesterday. :)

You start now.

They why is simple... Know the phrase, if you dont use it, you lose it? well it applies to muscles too.. when you're losing weight, you're not jsut losing fat.. muscle is lost too.. but if you lift, you retain that muscle..

no weight lifting and cutting calories generally results in a smaller you.
    lifting and cutting calories generally results in a better looking, more toned, smaller you.

as a female, building muscle is very HARD for you. you want to retain all you have right now.

now as to the "how to do it" you need someone that knows how to lift properly to watch you at first.. the small mistakes you make with freeweights can only be corrected by someone seeing them.

btw, use freeweights. not machines.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Start now.
    You want to lose fat, not muscle, muscle burns more calories and is more dense than fat.
    Also I noticed even when I wasn't noticing much on the scale my shape was still changing while I was strength training, I was still losing inches
    You want to keep what muscle you already have, so pick up those weights!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Start now.

Low reps, high weight. Preferably compound exercises: deadlifts, squats, bench press, pull-ups, shoulder press, rows. Focus on technique.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    ..... Focus on technique.

good point.

dont worry about weight yet. dont worry about anything except technique. Only advance in weight if you can hold form.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    ..... Focus on technique.

good point.

dont worry about weight yet. dont worry about anything except technique. Only advance in weight if you can hold form.

Exactly. First bunch of sessions should be ONLY about technique. Once you have that down, then you can start thinking about weight.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    They why is simple... Know the phrase, if you dont use it, you lose it? well it applies to muscles too.. when you're losing weight, you're not jsut losing fat.. muscle is lost too.. but if you lift, you retain that muscle..

tumblr_m7onfd7sfz1r4j812.gif

Because you want to look awesome when you lose the fat and keeping that muscle is the way to have everything look great. Make sure you're getting a nice amount of protein intake too since this really helps with muscle retention while you're cutting fat. 1 gram per pound of lean body weight is a good goal.

How? Find a good well guided program like New Rules of Lifting for Women and/or ask some other people for ideas on what works for them. Just hanging out in the free weight section watching people work out can give you lots of ideas. Get a trainer if you can afford it but if not a good guided program like NROLFW would be great.
  • jae28
    jae28 Posts: 8
    Options
    muscle is your main energy for burning fat ..
  • CynthiaMayela
    Options
    muscle burns fat :D