Frustrated :( Advice?

Options
I've been working out diligently all week, and I have been trying to eat healthier and be more aware of what I'm eating (and when).

I think I've been over my protein goal pretty much every day - is this bad??

I also feel fatter than I felt a couple of weeks ago (and now having very negative self-talk as a result)...what is going on?! It doesn't help that I got my hair cut yesterday and it looks horrid. I know weight loss isn't instant, but I have tried on just about everything in my closet and I feel disgusting.

I'm also frustrated because my husband can eat SO much more than me and he doesn't seem to have any negative effects...I'm cutting down on carbs and sweets, but he eats it like crazy....GAH!! For lunch today, I had a salad with bell peppers, and some grilled chicken and one piece of bread. He had a grilled chicken sandwich with cheese (2 pieces of bread), a huge serving of cottage cheese, apple sauce, carrots and hummus, and a clementine. Not that I want to eat like a horse, but when I see him eat so much, I feel like I'm starving myself (but I'm not), and I just get annoyed.

How to I move forward on days like this??

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Don't compare yourself to hubby. They are a completely different species when it comes to anything to do with weight - loss, maintaining, gaining, what they can eat... It'll just make you bonkers.

Hair grows back - I bet it doesn't even look nearly as bad as you think! Some mornings it takes me FOREVER to get dressed too - I know that feeling all too well. Put on a cute pair of shoes - they almost always fit even if you're having an off day.

I think going over on protein is okay. You can do this!
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Do not compare yourself with your hubby. My hubby works construction so he has coffee for breakfast, no lunch, eats at least twice if not three times more than me, and then has half a bag of chips 2 hours later. At first when I started this journey, it bothered me a lot, but after awhile I just realized that we are two totally different people when it comes to our bodies and weight loss. So put that out of the picture. I too was watching all of the nutritionally items in what I ate, but then I just gave up doing that and I watched my calorie intake and concentrated on my exercise. Over time, I develped a knowledge in my head of what I should eat and what I shouldn't. I found it so much easier to get through those rough days if I didn't concentrate on everything all the time. Maybe change your exercise routine a little. I find that if I get into a plateau (I am there right now), I change my exercise just slightly and it seems to push me over the edge again. Just give it time. Some people with lose really fast and others it will take some time. Hang in there and don't even think about quitting!!:noway:
  • dianamarin
    Options
    Don't get frustrated, nor think negative. All that feeling you have of not looking good, or that your gaining instead of losing is just because you are trying and unconciously you are expecting to lose some lbs quick. But if you really just stop thinking about it eventually you will notice how different it is when your not having your brain remind you all day how bad you want to lose weight. Keep going and just think positive about everything. I know its hard becuase I go through this too...but when I feel frustrated I just eat like I don't care and I know that is not good because I have to workout twice as hard lol but its ok to fall, just get back up and keep going. About your hubby well yea I have the same issue he eats so much and he is in a good weight :( but that keeps me motivated to keep trying, I want to look good next to him not him looking good next to me! so just keep going. Good luck.
  • Afterblue
    Afterblue Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My husband. He curls beer, eats baked potatoes with sour cream and bacon for appetizers and then follows it up with steaks and desserts. He has a six pack. If I so much as inhale butter, that will be two inches to my waist and five inches to my butt. That is just physiology and there is nothing that can be done about it.

I believe that comparison to anyone- hubby, celebrity, other people (even here) is just self-defeating. You are a unique mix of bone structure, metabolism, muscle mass etc and your journey is individual to you. Here is what helps me.

1. Just because I have to watch my caloric intake doesn't mean it cannot be absolutely delicious. I don't eat some bland chicken breast with some dreary salad. I make my meals really tasty, I spend time garnishing. I savor every bite.

2. I see it as a lifestyle change, not as a diet. Just the word diet makes the mind think "deprivation".

3. When he eats, I go exercise. The family always eat breakfasts together and that is always healthy.

4. High risk (for me) foods are not allowed in the house. Period. I don't like carbs so that doesn't bother me, but man...a chocolate bar sends me into a drooling frenzy where I lose all control and cannot be held responsible for anything.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, don't compare yourself to your husband. It is totally different. My boyfriend lost 80 lbs in the last year and he's still dropping like flies. All he does is work, eat, and take occasional walks. I don't get it either, but I try not to let it get me down.

Second of all, if you're feeling down about your shape, the last thing to do is try on clothes. Don't fuel the fire. Think about all the healthy choices you've been making, that you've actually put effort into what you want. That's a big step.

I have not lost anything the past month of July. My weight bounced around 4lbs, up and down. Some days I felt REALLY fat and that I was doing everything wrong. Other days I felt light as a feather. These kind of days come with the territory of losing weight. I know how you feel and it can be defeating, but in the long run if you stick to your goals, you'll achieve it. You're right, it doesn't happen over night and that can be very frustrating. Patience is key, but easier said than done.

Days like this you just gotta barrel through knowing you're making good choices, do what you can. Wake up tomorrow knowing its a new day and you can put it behind you.

Good luck.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    here are a few tips that I found to work for me:
    1. Make MFP your home page
    2. Log in EVERYDAY, read the message boards... post.. Keep your mind actively thinking about it.
    3. Don't try to change too much at once, Implement 1 change every week or so. Little tweeks over time seem to work best or at least better than butt load of change all at once
    4. Always be honest. We al fall on our way to the top, be honest, no one is judging you here... we all support eachother
    5. Keep trying new things until you find what works for you (It took me a while to find my plan and it works great for me but I wouldn't push it on anyone else)
    6. Its easier to lift weights than the burdens of carrying weight.
    7. take it one day at a time.
    8. Have a cheat day or meal, where you eat what you want
    9. Try to talk to yourself as if you are talking to your child or loved one. Often times the thing we need most is to be a better friend to ourselves.
    10. Smile. :)
    I don't wish people good luck, I never had it and don't need it! Luck doesn't get you through this... hard work does! :)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    extra protein is good!
  • msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I just tell myself:

It's not going to change over night

and then I think:

Suck it up

and if that doesn't work:

If your tired of starting over: Stop giving up.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I've been working out diligently all week, and I have been trying to eat healthier and be more aware of what I'm eating (and when).

I think I've been over my protein goal pretty much every day - is this bad??

I also feel fatter than I felt a couple of weeks ago (and now having very negative self-talk as a result)...what is going on?! It doesn't help that I got my hair cut yesterday and it looks horrid. I know weight loss isn't instant, but I have tried on just about everything in my closet and I feel disgusting.

I'm also frustrated because my husband can eat SO much more than me and he doesn't seem to have any negative effects...I'm cutting down on carbs and sweets, but he eats it like crazy....GAH!! For lunch today, I had a salad with bell peppers, and some grilled chicken and one piece of bread. He had a grilled chicken sandwich with cheese (2 pieces of bread), a huge serving of cottage cheese, apple sauce, carrots and hummus, and a clementine. Not that I want to eat like a horse, but when I see him eat so much, I feel like I'm starving myself (but I'm not), and I just get annoyed.

How to I move forward on days like this??

No offense but you sound kind of hormonal and pms-y. I know because I get like that :angry: It's the worst time for haircuts and trying clothes on lol.

Extra protein is awesome. MFP has their setting too low as it is.

Don't compare yourself to hubby! Hang in there, it will work:flowerforyou:
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    quzanne my hubby is an ex bodybuilder and he still eats loads and keeps lean and cut!! So don`t even try to compare yourself to anybody else.

Think of it as not being a competion, but doing what works for you, we are all different :-)

Just try to keep within your MFP goals and if you can add exercise, then that is fantastic, the more the better!