All you muscle men and woman,

Options
I am trying to get feed back on Whey powder. I am currently taking EAS Whey, but I don't feel like it is helping. I know it is supposed to help with soreness and not completely knock it out, but I feel as if I am sore too much. And I am not sure this Whey I am using is a good product.

And suggestions would be awesome.

In case you need to know my work out regiment to help, I run about 3 miles a day and do strench training 4 days a week.

Please and THANK YOU!!
:happy:

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    my theory on DOMS is that once you have it, it's kind of too late to get rid of it.

most of the things i do to hold off DOMS i do before it even sets in because once it's there you just have to let it take its course.

how late are you waiting to take your protein? it should ideally be the same day of the workout, not the next day when you're sore

also if you're sore all the time, you probably should just take a rest day or 2. continually being sore is not a good thing
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    DOMS?

And I take protein 2 times a day, everyday.
  • dmg4867
    dmg4867 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you want a recovery supplement, rather than a good protein source. Are you taking pure whey? Or does it have an added recovery blend of some sort? (L-Glutamine, etc.)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/108037-post-workout-recovery-supplements/
    (Yes, whey is on this list)

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor or a physical trainer, nor do I have a six pack. I just read the internet too much =(
  • dmg4867
    dmg4867 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Also, what does your lifting routine look like? Lifts / Weight / Reps
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Protein supps won't prevent DOMS.
    They are simply supplemental protein to assist you in getting to your macro nutrient ratios. It can be difficult to eat enough food to get 1g protein/ pound of lbm without consuming too many carbs and or fats. Protein powders can help you reach that macro .
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    Also, what does your lifting routine look like? Lifts / Weight / Reps

its on my blog.
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    It sounds like you want a recovery supplement, rather than a good protein source. Are you taking pure whey? Or does it have an added recovery blend of some sort? (L-Glutamine, etc.)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/108037-post-workout-recovery-supplements/
    (Yes, whey is on this list)

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor or a physical trainer, nor do I have a six pack. I just read the internet too much =(

No I want muscle building, I had just heard protein helps with the soreness..
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i use GNC amplified whey, tastes good and they have several different flavors.
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options

I am pretty sure that is the one I have heard the most about out side of this forum. I just don't want to get fat.. you know?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i don't think whey helps with the soreness?!? Make sure you warm up, cool down and stretch properly and try to avoid very hot bath/shower.

I think whet shakes are all basically the same - I will use one if I can't get my intake from food. I do have a casein shake at night (slow-release) for recovery, but also because i enjoy it (ON 100% casein chocolate - microwaved with milk :D).

Pain is good - means its working :D
  • talisamb
    talisamb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Gold Standard Whey helped me build alot of muscle. I use it within 30 minutes after my workouts.
  • bfletch1310
    Options
    Gold Standard Whey helped me build alot of muscle. I use it within 30 minutes after my workouts.

+1
    This is what I use as well. I have used GNC stuff and its
    not bad. But I keep going back to Gold Standard every
    time.
  • GC_Hutson
    Options
    Whey is more likely to make you fat, than build muscle. It's all contingent on your physiology, metabolism and genetic background.

For me, I eat real food and real protein. However, I also use creatine supplements.

For sore muscles, eat bananas.
  • bfletch1310
    Options
    You will only gain weight if you go over your
    calorie intake for the day. Just make sure that
    any supplements you are taking you add into
    your intake totals. There are no free calories, they
    all add up.
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    You will only gain weight if you go over your
    calorie intake for the day. Just make sure that
    any supplements you are taking you add into
    your intake totals. There are no free calories, they
    all add up.

I definitely don't go over my calorie intake often. And I add my protein to my calorie log..
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I find sipping on BCAA's as I train prevents dom's.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

I am pretty sure that is the one I have heard the most about out side of this forum. I just don't want to get fat.. you know?

you wont get fat as long as you work it into your categories.

i use gnc gold standard which is 110 cals for 24g of protein
  • GhostPack
    GhostPack Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I find sipping on BCAA's as I train prevents dom's.
    Agreed. I've been taking an l-glutamine sup that's been great. Gotta get through these, then back to a BCAA
    Taking within 30 minutes after workout, and another at bed time.
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Gold Standard. It tastes the best. To make it taste better, shake it up with some almond milk.

You won't get fat because it's only 110 calories.
    BUT it won't magically keep you from getting sore.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I dont think protein will help all that much for soreness. Stretch before beginning a workout, even if its lifting weights. Make sure your not targeting the same muscles everyday, and make sure you have rest day(s). But yes, ultimately, its going to burn/hurt. You want that though! Your muscles are working HARD, it'll hurt, but have protein no more than 30 minutes ( i literally have mine as soon as i step outside the Gym! The faster the better) after your workout for your muscles to heal a bit quicker.

ALSO, i should add that if your unsure if you are doing it right, dont be shy to ask for help. I put down a 30lb weight on the ground, and when i picked it back up about a minute after I lost balance only enough to move my foot slightly , i got shooting pains on my knees from lifting it wrong. I feel that my knees are more sensitive now ( which is really annoying!!! ) and i have to be twice as careful.