Please help!! Best fish dish to order at Steak House??

Options
We are going to a steak house tomorrow night for my nephews birthday. They have a fish menu - What would you choose??? I love all fish, and pretty open to all spices and such, and price isn't an issue. Would you ask them to cook it a specific way to keep the calories down? TIA!!!

Heres the list of seafood they have on their web site -
Shrimp Teriyaki
Sweet And Sour Shrimp
Chicken Teriyaki or Cajun
Seafood Platter
Grilled Swordfish
Cajun Swordfish
Salmon
Cajun Salmon
Lamb Chops
Lobster Tails
Filet And Tail
Shrimp And Filet
Broiled Scallops
Stuffed Lobster
Broiled Flounder
Crab Cakes (2)
Sauteed Soft Shell Crabs (In Season)
Fillet and Crab Cake

Replies

• mehaffeymk
    mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I would go for anything that says it is grilled. Things that have sauces with them are usually higher in fat and calories. I always pick the grilled fish option that has steamed veggies for sides. That way you know none of it is cooked in butter or anything. Can you look up their food options on here or on their website? Or ask if they have a nutrition menu?
  • GhostPack
    GhostPack Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    :explode:

I love fish. Grilled or sauteed. No breading, no fry, no boiled in butter (that's not sauteing)
    From your list:
    Grilled Sword Fish is my first choice.
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    We are going to a steak house tomorrow night for my nephews birthday. They have a fish menu - What would you choose??? I love all fish, and pretty open to all spices and such, and price isn't an issue. Would you ask them to cook it a specific way to keep the calories down? TIA!!!

Heres the list of seafood they have on their web site -

Seafood Platter
    Grilled Swordfish
    Cajun Swordfish
    Salmon
    Cajun Salmon

Lobster Tails

Broiled Scallops

Broiled Flounder

^^^ There you go in my opinion of course :) Fish is a great option as long as it isn't battered or fried.Stay away from crab cakes cos its got fillers. Seafood in general is a great option...broiled or grilled. Have veggies on side and a salad with a tiny bit of dressing.

Crab is low in cals, and the lobster is a good choice too. Again stay with steamed for crab/lobster or grilled.

Pretty much if its battered, fried <pan or deep>, has fillers <like in the crab cakes>, or sauced....its not a good choice.
  • carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I love broiled scallops with lemon wedge squeezed on top! That and a salad with dressing on the side. Maybe put the scallops on top of the salad and call it a meal.
  • Stepmom1
    Stepmom1 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Ditto with the broiled. I always ask them to either broil it or grill it.

I love Salmon
  • SnowWhite824
    Options
    Thanks guys. Obviously I'm not going to get anything battered and fried LOL. And I forgot to say that unless its raw or smoked, I don't like Salmon at all! YUCK!!
    Right now, I have it narrowed down to the scallops, lobster, or one of the swordfish. I'm assuming that the cajun on is probably done in butter - Thoughts??
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    Thanks guys. Obviously I'm not going to get anything battered and fried LOL. And I forgot to say that unless its raw or smoked, I don't like Salmon at all! YUCK!!
    Right now, I have it narrowed down to the scallops, lobster, or one of the swordfish. I'm assuming that the cajun on is probably done in butter - Thoughts??

There is a chance that the cajun catfish is probably breaded. I'd say the grilled catfish is your best bet. Scallops and lobster, I'm fairly certain are butter dipped.
  • SnowWhite824
    Options

There is a chance that the cajun catfish is probably breaded. I'd say the grilled catfish is your best bet. Scallops and lobster, I'm fairly certain are butter dipped.

Hmmmm, I didn't think about that... Thats a bummer!! I could ask them NOT to use butter, but who knows if they remember/listen. Maybe they would grill the scallops for me....
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    Any steakhouse worth their salt will cook to order, there shouldn't be a problem making a request like that. However, there is always the human factor to contend with.
  • SnowWhite824
    Options
    Any steakhouse worth their salt will cook to order, there shouldn't be a problem making a request like that. However, there is always the human factor to contend with.

Its a top notch place - Been in business 40+ years in a very tough NJ town. I think I'll ask for the scallops to be grilled. I don't see veggies on the online menu, but I'll have to check when I get there.

Thanks again all!!! :happy:
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    plain grilled protein with plain veggies or salad.
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    broiled scallops hands down and would get a plain sweet potato (if available)
  • SnowWhite824
    Options

I know they have regular potatos, and I know they have sweet potato fries, but don't think they have sweet potatos whole. Its ok though - I don't want to go nuts with carbs.
    This place also has a great salad bar, but I'll have to be careful and not get all of the oh-so-good but oh-so-bad-for-you selections there....
  • SnowWhite824
    Options

I know they have regular potatos, and I know they have sweet potato fries, but don't think they have sweet potatos whole. Its ok though - I don't want to go nuts with carbs.
    This place also has a great salad bar, but I'll have to be careful and not get all of the oh-so-good but oh-so-bad-for-you selections there....