Ladies...help with bra size please!

Options
I feel like I've lost a lot of weight in my breasts, which is a good thing because I HATED shopping for bras at Lane Bryant! I was a 42DDD. I am pretty sure I've lost inches both around my bust and under the bust, because the cups in my current bras are too big and I have to pull them to the last set of clasps. BUT - I measured to find out my new bra size, and got everything from 46A to 40FF. Haha. Is there a more accurate website out there that you have used, or should I just subject myself to a fitting somewhere? Thanks!

Replies

• stephyj528
    stephyj528 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    victorias secret..they measured me last time i lost my weight. or like pennys or fashion bug
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    People who have given me fittings tend to be all over the place too. Usually I take the fitting as a place to start and then I just start trying things on and I go from there. Or you could just skip the measuring overall and start trying stuff on if you don't mind taking the time. Just make sure you research how a good fitting bra should fit.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I've never been fitted, outside of doing it myself. I just try on bras. If they fit with little wiggle room, it works for me. I used to be your size as well. I couldn't stop dancing once the Lane Bryant bras were too big.
  • pag41989
    pag41989 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I got measured at Victorias Secret. Its free and the lady that did mine did a great job. I went from a 40DD to a 36D and it fit perfectly :)
  • dbarchus
    dbarchus Posts: 42
    Options
    victorias secret..they measured me last time i lost my weight. or like pennys or fashion bug

I agree VS makes it easy.
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Do the girls a favour and get properly fitted at a reputable lingerie store. I would even avoid malls/department stores etc...
    Spend a little more initially on some good fitting basics.. then do the online stuff later when you have a better idea of sizes.
  • skinnygurl02
    skinnygurl02 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I would definately get fitted professionally somewhere like Belks or Victoria's Secret
  • joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    If you live close to an {intimacy} go there!!
    http://www.myintimacy.com/

I'm a hard to fit size 34F/G and they carry my size in non grandma bras that actually fit right and make you feel smaller. :-)
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    no way. get fitted. Nordstroms is the best. Private, mature, quiet...not all mall hustle bustle hurry. It could be different where you are, but Victoria's Secret seemed rushed and less knowledgeable to me. I've heard good things from other people though.
    I vote Nordstroms.

I was fitted for a 32E or something there, but she also gave me comparable sizes to try in other brands, etc.

^this^
    Took the words out of my mouth. Nordstrom had the best selection especially for cute bras in bigger sizes and they are very professional when it comes to fittings. I literally won't go anywhere else
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Get fitted at Nordstrom. The girl that fit me at Victorias Secret didn't even know what cup size came after DDD. I wouldn't personally be fitted again at a store that wouldn't carry my size. The woman that helped me at Nordstrom was AMAZING. She knew more about how a bra was actually supposed to fit you than any employee I ever encountered. She spent a long time finding bras and looking at how they fit on me and giving me suggestions of what did and didn't work. I am going to buy from them exclusively from now on. I have bought bras from a lot of people but her service was phenomenal.
  • rach41413
    rach41413 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Wow, sounds like Nordstroms wins! I will be going there soon. Thanks everyone!
  • tara_seay
    tara_seay Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    At our Lane Bryant, they measure you! And they always have great BOGO deals on bras...
  • foodie99
    foodie99 Posts: 92
    Options
    no way. get fitted.

that. enough said.
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Most the old advice (underbust + 4, for instance) is outdated.

This is the online calculator I used (and I ended up very close to that when I went in-person to be fitted): http://www.curvesandcorsets.com/bra-sizing

One of the discouraging things for many of us (and why we end up in incorrectly sized bras) is that very few places carry above DDD. So even if that's what you need, most stores won't tell you that (because then they lose the sale).
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

This is the online calculator I used (and I ended up very close to that when I went in-person to be fitted): http://www.curvesandcorsets.com/bra-sizing

One of the discouraging things for many of us (and why we end up in incorrectly sized bras) is that very few places carry above DDD. So even if that's what you need, most stores won't tell you that (because then they lose the sale).

Broken record over here, Nordstroms! They carry up to a K in the store, which by the way is bigger than what you can get off the rack at Lane Bryant.
  • joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    Options

That is why I like intimacy. They carry non standard sizes. They don't measure either, they go by fit.
  • corriewarren
    Options
    I did the same thing....almost word for word :)
    Try Victoria's Secret or again....Lane Bryant. I like their Cacique bra - the balconette. It has worked well for me the last few times I have gone in. They did remeasure me and ended up saying I needed a Huge size....I tried it on just for fun.....OMG - everyone needs a good laugh when bra shopping! Anyhow, I ended up going down size by size from my original size until I found one myself that I liked. Good luck in your shopping quest! I HATE bra shopping!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • aloha311
    aloha311 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more with this! Victoria's Secret fitted me to a 34B when I was actually a 32DDD!!!! I laughed when the girl brought me 34B bras to try on and I was falling out everywhere. Nordstroms is great because not only do they fit you perfectly but if they don't have the size in the store they will order it for you as well. Oh and their return policy is the best ever. I had a bra that I had bought from them over a year ago and the underwire popped through. I took it in and they returned it no questions asked. It's the only place I will buy bras. And just an FYI if you are nursing they will convert any bra into a nursing bra for only $10!!!
    Get fitted at Nordstrom. The girl that fit me at Victorias Secret didn't even know what cup size came after DDD. I wouldn't personally be fitted again at a store that wouldn't carry my size. The woman that helped me at Nordstrom was AMAZING. She knew more about how a bra was actually supposed to fit you than any employee I ever encountered. She spent a long time finding bras and looking at how they fit on me and giving me suggestions of what did and didn't work. I am going to buy from them exclusively from now on. I have bought bras from a lot of people but her service was phenomenal.
  • aloha311
    aloha311 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Wow I just used that guide and it says that I am a 34F!!!! LOL Even with losing the weight I need to I will only go down to a 32DD. It is so hard to find stores that carry these sizes. So far one of the only places that I have found is Nordstroms and they have cute/sexy ones in the bigger sizes as well. =)