Substitute for Rice and Pasta?

Options
2»

Replies

• 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    If you want something that looks like pasta, you could try the Tofu Shiritaki noodles. A whole package only has 40 cals, low in fat, no carbs (I believe; can't remember the nutritional info right now). The texture is a little different, but not bad for what it is!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You don't need to fear carbohydrates to lose weight. and be healthy. But it is wise to learn about them as some have more health benefits than others. The link below is to a great nutrition website from the Harvard School of Public Health. It contains many references to scientific studies on nutrition but is written in very understandable language.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/

Good luck to you!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes Couscous is lower in cals but it's a refined carbohydrate.

Like other pastas, whole grain couscous is available.
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You will not need the same portion of pasta as couscous though. Perhaps I phrased that incorrectly!

Stick with good clean eating. Unless you have an issue, as in, your body does, with carbs, then I wouldn't play around with them too much. For me personally I need to reduce them as the refined ones put me into fat storage mode as I learnt from my Nutritionist! Good luck on your journey!

Yes Couscous is lower in cals but it's a refined carbohydrate.

100g of couscous and pasta have the same calories. They are both made from the same ingredient - semolina (durum wheat).
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds and eat carbohydrates all the time. I go over my carb goal every single day. Carbs are not evil. Rice and pasta and potatoes are not evil. If you like cabs, eat them. They are what fuel cellular respiration.

If you don't want to eat white or bleached rice and pasta go for brown rice and whole grain pasta. Brown rice is the love of my life, but it take about an hour to cook whereas white rice takes only 15 minutes. So just put it on the stove first before you start cooking everything else... unless everything else will take an hour too, I suppose. :wink:

Best of luck on your journey. There is a lot of info out there and there are even more myths. You'll learn as you go what works best for you. Just keep in mind what is good for your body and try not to follow the path of unhealthy gimmicks (like low carb.) You will lose weight by creating a caloric deficit and fitness by exercising. Rock on!
  • hurla56
    hurla56 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you SO MUCH! I visited the site for netrition and have pasta on the way! I love it!
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Barley, lentils, quinoa are all great substitutions for rice and pasta. I also like dream fields pasta - lower carb count - and it takes less to fill up!
  • hurla56
    hurla56 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your success while still eating small quantities of pasta and rice. I love whole grain products so that is easy for me. It is just so frustrating listening to all the info and trying to decide what is going to work for you. I am loosing the weight so slow even though I think that I am doing everything right. I have lost 12 pounds and would like to loose 10 to 15 more. Thanks for the encouragement and good luck to you also!
  • sdps745
    sdps745 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yes, Tofu Shiritaki noodles are a great substitute for pasta. They are in the refrigerated part of the grocery store. They'll take on any flavor you're cooking or sauce.

Mashed cauliflower using a hand blender with mushroom or a creamy soup makes a GREAT substitute for mashed potatoes! Although the soup adds some carbs. You can find recipes on the internet. There was one posted here on MFP.

You could try the spaghetti squash too. Quinoa is real yummy, but still has carbs. Brown rice is better than white rice...more nutrients...still carbs.

Eat MORE protein! Lean meats and fish are great sources of protein and are, of course, low carb. Or even protein powders and/or shakes. Pure Protein brand shakes taste great and are low carb or DaVinci Proteins...DaVinci Chocolate protein powder is a quality protein and yummy too. Some protein powders have more carbs than others, so if you're watching carbs, you might want to watch that.

BEST of LUCK!!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    you can 'rice' cauliflower in a food processor..... I LOOOOVE to use spaghetti squash instead of noodles. Also, house foods makes shirataki tofu noodles - they are yummy. I also like to use zucchini INSTEAD of noodles for 'spaghetti'. So YUMMMO!
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • new_blossom
    new_blossom Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    www.dreamfieldsfoods.com/

for those watching a lower carb diet, this pasta is a good choice. If you need calories, and want healthy ones, this is a good option.

Hunt's makes a sugar free sauce.
  • tokyoshiprincess
    Options
    I don't eat rice anymore. I can live without it. However I LOVE pasta & I allow myself a pasta dish occasionally. I don't think you should be that strict with yourself...some carb is good for you. If you MUST substitute just go for brown rice, whole grain, and unprocessed carbs in small amounts.
  • tokyoshiprincess
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds and eat carbohydrates all the time. I go over my carb goal every single day. Carbs are not evil. Rice and pasta and potatoes are not evil. If you like cabs, eat them. They are what fuel cellular respiration.

If you don't want to eat white or bleached rice and pasta go for brown rice and whole grain pasta. Brown rice is the love of my life, but it take about an hour to cook whereas white rice takes only 15 minutes. So just put it on the stove first before you start cooking everything else... unless everything else will take an hour too, I suppose. :wink:

Best of luck on your journey. There is a lot of info out there and there are even more myths. You'll learn as you go what works best for you. Just keep in mind what is good for your body and try not to follow the path of unhealthy gimmicks (like low carb.) You will lose weight by creating a caloric deficit and fitness by exercising. Rock on!

Very true!