HELP!!!

Options
I was cleaning banana peppers today for stuffed banana peppers and i got quite a bit of oil on my hand. This was at 12pm today (i'm on the east coast) 8 hours of extreme pain and NO relief. I've tried every suggestion online and NOTHING has helped. Here are a few of the things i've tried
bleach
lemon juice
dawn
vinegar
alcohol
milk
mouthwash
sucking on my finger (it's amazing what the internet suggests) and last but not least
mustard (my pharmacist suggested it.)
I have had my hand in a bowl of cool water and or an ice pack on it since noon... Im begging for help. My pharmacist said i was probably having an allergic reaction to the oil... fingers on the right hand are twice the size of the left and they are ot pink

Replies

• theglencoegirl
    theglencoegirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    yikers!! no suggestions sorry!! just seeing if u are feeling better yet!?
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    9 hours and counting. This is what I get trying to make my hubs one of his favorites. Lol.
  • leska1216
    leska1216 Posts: 260
    Options
    If it's been suggested you are having an allergic reaction to the peppers, keep your fingers out of your mouth and away from the face. Take an antihistamine. After 9 excrutiating hours i would be heading to the nearest ER.
  • Droope2
    Droope2 Posts: 82
    Options
    I agree, try taking a benedryl and if that doesn't help I would go to the ER they could give you an stronger shot of something to help combat the pain and swelling....hope you feel better soon!
  • Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    my mom would suggest windex... I would suggest going to the hospital.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well... what kind of oil was it? That may or may not make a difference, I mean when I first read it I assumed hot oil, but getting further through you seem to be reacting / allergic to whatever the oil was.. never had that experience using that oil before?
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    go to a doctor? maybe they can inject you with something?
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Sounds like allergy to me. Seek medical attention ASAP.
  • tjk71
    tjk71 Posts: 167
    Options
    I agree, try taking a benedryl and if that doesn't help I would go to the ER they could give you an stronger shot of something to help combat the pain and swelling....hope you feel better soon!

^^^^This!!!!
  • cowsstealmythong
    cowsstealmythong Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If it's been suggested you are having an allergic reaction to the peppers, keep your fingers out of your mouth and away from the face. Take an antihistamine. After 9 excrutiating hours i would be heading to the nearest ER.

This.
    But aren't they acidic? You should be using something basic to counteract it. Milk, cream, butter.... those kinds of things.

But i'd be going to the er, sounds like you're having a bad reaction to it. Good luck.
  • corriewarren
    Options
    Benedryl lotion and a tablet also. If not better soon, go to the ER. Good Luck!
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    Try olive oil and if you have some latex gloves put them on after you lather your hands in the oil. Keep it on there for awhile. In the future, put olive oil on your hands BEFORE cutting the hot peppers. That's always worked for me. Tomatoes are another one you can try as they're acidic.
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    it does sound like an allergic reaction, tbh - i've chopped jalapeños for hours and as long as i keep my hands away from sensitive places, it doesn't hurt like that. unless you have cuts or scrapes it's gotten into.

try the benedryl or a cortisone cream to see if it helps. i discovered at age 35 that i was allergic to strawberries after the world's most horrible experience - it won't kill you; most foods aren't like shellfish or peanut allergy. but if the benadryl helps then you know.
  • stagknight
    stagknight Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Antihistamine and see the ER. A sudden shock might help too daft as it sounds, but adrenaline, (Epinephrine) is a treatment for allergy and a shock makes the body produce it in a rush.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Well let's see. My Grammy would tell you to put honey on it. My dad would tell you that Ivy Dry is made to break up oils in/on the skin, so it might work. I would say after this amount of time I would probably seek medical attention. BTW - do you have an ask a nurse type phone service in your area? If you do it might be worth a call.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    My daughter did this two weeks ago and the only thing that helped was keeping them in ice water and time.
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I use mustard, lots and lots of mustard...and when the first layer starts to wear off....I rinse with cool water and add more mustard. However, in your case, I would definitely suggest going to the emergency room, stat! You could be causing irreversible damage by NOT going.
  • MartinaC32
    MartinaC32 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Get a can of diced tomatoes. Mix a 1/4 cup of vegetable oil with the tomatoes and soak your hands in that mixture for about 45 mins to an hour.

I know this to work because my hubby burned his hands on jalapenos and this did the trick after he suffered for 4 hours with the pain.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Painkillers. Cold water. Medical advice.

And not potentially worsening the inflammation/confusing the picture for medics by keep putting different things on it! Especially harsh things like bleach!!!
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I called my doctor and she told me to take benedryl. After 11 very painful hours the pain is a little better. Never reach in to a pepper to get the seeds out. Lol. After I took the benedryl I fell asleep with my hand in a bucket of cold water.