Novice Cyclist in Need of Advice!

Options
Hi. I have a few questions about cycling. Foreground: I am 25, 215ish, 5'8" with a 35# 10 speed road bike, racing bars.
1. Does cycling take away body fat from the upper body at all? I know that my legs are doing the gruntwork, and I am burning fat off my thick thighs, while at the same increasing the size of my leg muscles, but how much fat around the waist could be lost?
2. I just got some new pairs of "biking" shorts, and it is my first time wearing them. They are not that expensive, but it is okay to hand wash them so they do not get ripped in the washer, or does it need that time in the washer to prevent any fungus? I wear them w/o underwear.
3. Is it okay to jump into a cold lake IMMEDIATELY after a 30 mile ride, like while I am still sweating it out? There is a trail from my place to a recreational lake, and I reward myself by jumping in and cooling off. Could that cause any muscle spasms or cramps at all?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    1. Fat goes away from your whole body, pretty much evenly, regardless of exercise.
    2. I hand wash mine with woolite. If all are dirty, i was them in the machine, most gentle cycle.
    3. Why not?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have a few questions about cycling. Foreground: I am 25, 215ish, 5'8" with a 35# 10 speed road bike, racing bars.
    1. Does cycling take away body fat from the upper body at all? I know that my legs are doing the gruntwork, and I am burning fat off my thick thighs, while at the same increasing the size of my leg muscles, but how much fat around the waist could be lost?
    2. I just got some new pairs of "biking" shorts, and it is my first time wearing them. They are not that expensive, but it is okay to hand wash them so they do not get ripped in the washer, or does it need that time in the washer to prevent any fungus? I wear them w/o underwear.
    3. Is it okay to jump into a cold lake IMMEDIATELY after a 30 mile ride, like while I am still sweating it out? There is a trail from my place to a recreational lake, and I reward myself by jumping in and cooling off. Could that cause any muscle spasms or cramps at all?

What wellbert said but why only a 30 minute ride. My rides are usually 75 to 90 minutes. Why cut the fun short. Biking is the most fun cardio ever!
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options

What wellbert said but why only a 30 minute ride. My rides are usually 75 to 90 minutes. Why cut the fun short. Biking is the most fun cardio ever!

reread the original post...it says 30 miles, not 30 minutes. and there is nothing wrong with 30 minute rides...i took one today.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

reread the original post...it says 30 miles, not 30 minutes. and there is nothing wrong with 30 minute rides...i took one today.

So sorry! You are correct. However, a 30 minute ride just seems like a waste a good bike time to me. No intention to offend.
  • j_wilson2012
    Options
    I agree, unless that 30 min is full sprint, then it is okay, or just a leisure ride (as in, the second ride in the evening to go feed the ducks as I do).
  • ellioj
    ellioj Posts: 4
    Options
    Absolutely jump in the lake! The cold water will help with any inflammation and muscle soreness (delayed onset). Ice baths are a staple of marathon training!

Have fun!