Why is Starvation Mode 1200?

Options
If BMR varies then shouldn't the number of calories needed to survive without starving vary as well? For example, it's hard to imagine that a 6 ft man and a 5 ft woman go into starvation mode at the same time when all their other needs are different

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'll probably get flamed for this but forget the term "starvation mode" even exists. It's a terrible term that is so grossly misunderstood by most people that it's meaningless.
  • natachan
    natachan Posts: 149
    Options
    Because it's easy to just put arbitrary numbers on some things just to help classify things. You are right, different people will go into starvation mode at different times, but to simplify it we say 1200. It will vary with your height, build, composition, etc.
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    what kind of ppl have a bmr of 1200 and under?
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm BARELY 5 feet tall and my BMR is pretty damn close to 1200.
  • BiggestL0s3r
    Options

My BMR is 960.
    Go figure.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Short people that are not overweight. Mine is in the lower 1100's.
  • mommyweighless
    mommyweighless Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'll probably get flamed for this but forget the term "starvation mode" even exists. It's a terrible term that is so grossly misunderstood by most people that it's meaningless.

^This!

You will not go into 'starvation mode' unless you eat absolutely NOTHING FOR AT LEAST 72 HOURS!!! They use the term when in reality they should not. The concern with low calorie deficits is that your body will lose lean muscle as well as fat.