Sister Wives, anyone else fascinated?

Options
Melanie_RS
Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
I am watching 20/20 right now about the ultra modern family - consenting adults - plural families and I think that while this isn't a lifestyle for me, I'm in total 100% support of families that are.

Of course, not Warren Jeffs style - rainbow sherbet colored gowns and underage wives...

but Sister Wives, well adjusted children, beautiful plural families...what is there not to love?!

I hope all the media attention eliminates the stigma. Just my thoughts, I'm fascinated with the whole concept!

Replies

• Melanie_RS
    Options
    (whatever that Warren guys name is...you know the cult polygamist...not that forced polygamy)
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have a lot more respect for men who take multiple WILLING ADULT wives than these guys that just have kids with multiple women and don't take care of any of them.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I'm with you Mel! I think if you compare those kids to the Duggars- the sister wives kids seem soooo much more well adjusted than the ultra-traditional family structure of the Duggars.

Edit- I'm wayyyy too selfish to ever share a man, but I have zero problem with consenting adults living like that. It's a shame that they get lumped in with the FLDS radicals with the child brides living on compounds being abused. It's like lumping regular Muslims with suicide bombers, or Catholics with child molesting priests.
  • Bittersweet82
    Options
    I am also completely intrigued by this, Melanie! I watch that TLC show Sister Wives....it's so bizarre a concept to me, yet there is so much love...I could never share my husband with a woman but I can't get enough of that show!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I'm only ok with it if the man we are all sharing is Jensen Ackles.

Otherwise I just don't see the point.
  • mommamisty823
    Options
    I got sucked into that show. If it's done like that (the plural marriage thing) I don't see the harm in it. I couldn't do it...I would be too jealous, but more power to those that do it in a healthy, loving way.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I am so intrigued by how these families work. I have watched the show "Sister Wives" and I just don't get it. I don't think I could share my husband. Call me selfish, but he's mine!
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Whatever, I don't care.

... But it's weird. No way around that.
  • jeroli31
    Options
    I watch the TLC show Sister Wives, too, and I absolutely LOVE it. While that lifestyle would NOT be for me, I think people should be free to live their lives as they choose. I think that there is definite possibility to have a loving relationship with consenting adults in polygamy, but it's just not something I would ever choose to do.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I watch the TLC show Sister Wives, too, and I absolutely LOVE it. While that lifestyle would NOT be for me, I think people should be free to live their lives as they choose. I think that there is definite possibility to have a loving relationship with consenting adults in polygamy, but it's just not something I would ever choose to do.

I agree. I think if they want to marry legally they should. It's better than all these men with multiple baby mamas!
  • Bittersweet82
    Options
    my husband and I have actually had discussions on my obsession with Sister Wives, to the point where he asked if it was something I wanted....LOL and of course my answer was no. I flip out when one of his female coworkers text him...can't imagine him sleeping with another woman, let alone another wife....and his reply to me asking if he'd want more than one wife?......."I can't make one happy, why the hell would I want more women that I can't please?" hahahahaha
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    it's interesting, but not for me. i'm too jealous.

just makes me wonder why anyone would want to share someone they love.
  • mminor77
    mminor77 Posts: 313
    Options
    I say more power to them if it works well for others.... for me, I dont share well with others.... :tongue:
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Although not for me, I would not mind multiple husbands 1. working husband 2. cooking husband 3 loving husband for those special date nights haha
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Not my thing. But it's their life so whateves. I have NO clue how those women get along. I'm SO jealous I'd just make everyone else miserable lol.

Regardless of marital status I think that Cody guy is really odd. He loooooves the attention from the media. I watched the episode when he visited some old friends and they made comments about him being an attention *kitten* in school lol.
    Now he's the center of attention for four women, about 20 kids, and a ton of TLC viewers. His life is complete! lol
  • Melanie_RS
    Options
    I'm surprised so many people are supportive of this!

Plus, after being married for so long, I'd have no problem sharing! hahaha! ;)
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Interesting, but I could never share my man. I am waaaaay too protective of what I have. I can't imagine having him go off to another wife. :noway:
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    It is sorta interesting that the multiple wives and one husband topic seems to appear in many cultures but you don't see one wife with multiple husbands. I'm not sure a guy could handle the jealousy of having to share a woman with that many other guys. I guess that's why I couldn't do it - the sharing part. I suspect that there are a lot of couples who do swinging instead because having a relationship with multiple people would be strangely weird. I'm still single so I'm hoping for just one sweetheart as that's enough for me.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to this stupid show. It drives my husband nuts lmao
  • Bittersweet82
    Options
    I'm surprised so many people are supportive of this!

Plus, after being married for so long, I'd have no problem sharing! hahaha! ;)

AHAHAHAHAHA!