What antidepressant doesn't make you gain weight ?

Options

Replies

• Valentinakj2011
    Valentinakj2011 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    bump
  • totallydevious
    totallydevious Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Personally, I am on more than one anti - depressant right now, and I've noticed some weight issues, I gained 30 pounds in 6 months after starting medicine back up after my suicide attempt, I have been on so many in my life and honestly, the only way you will know what works for you is to try it, talk to your doctor or therapist, [ I see both so I didn't know about you ] and give one a try, if you feel it isn't working within 7 - 10 days of taking it, go back to your doctor and switch, it is a long process to find which one works but it is worth it in the end, before my suicide attempt, I was on Zoloft now I am on an anti - depressant, anti - psychotic and an anxiety pill, I don't have the names right now but if you would like to know, just send me a message and I'll find out for you. :) I hope you find something that works for you, I've been in your shoes before and now, I am just so much better because I found the right combination of medicine that works for me! :flowerforyou:
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    Talk to your Dr. Don't take advice from anyone else. It's fine to share experience's but everyone is different.

Every topic I see about medications ends up having very dangerous advice from people who have no idea what they are talking about.
  • Keirasmama06
    Options
    I took Welbutrin for a few years and I did lose about 10-15 pounds at first. Mostly from being nauseous. After a few months though the symptoms went away. I did eventually gain the weight back. I'm off all meds now by choice and dealing with my depression through exercise and healthy diet. I can't say I won't ever have to take meds again, but for now I'm managing. Good luck to you! Everyday is a challenge.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's not the medicine itself, it's how it makes you feel and then how you react or change your lifestyle/eating habits as a consequence.

If you were constantly stressed and didn't eat and then started taking one, you relax, you eat, you may gain weight.

If you were depressed and binged or just didn't care and laid in bed all day and were jello, you take one, and then feel great and get moving...you might lose weight.

but it's rare that the actual medicine itself will make you lose or gain weight...it's the fact you'll have a behavior change (good or bad) after you take it and feel the effects.
  • ekking69
    ekking69 Posts: 44
    Options
    I absolutely have to be on antidepressant for OCD and anxiety as well as depression and have found I can't function without my meds. I've been on various medications for almost 10 years (I started on them when I was 10) and have found that various medications will have various impacts on different bodies. Most side effects only occur in a certain percentage of those who take the medicine, so you never really can be sure how a certain medicine will effect you until you try it yourself.

I wouldn't avoid taking medications because you're afraid of weight gain. Talk to a doctor who is willing to test out different medicines and find one that works for YOU. I've gone through about 5 different meds before settling on Cymbalta, which does have terrible withdrawals if you skip a day but works find besides that.

The important thing is to be patient and willing to try out different options. It'll be worth it in the end when you're happier.

Awesome answer.

Seriously an awesome answer. You have to try them out. My husband and I were both put on Citalopram for a temporary high-anxiety situation. We both gained a lot of weight on it. When we saw our doctors recently and complained, mine switched me to Wellbutrin, which has worked well for me. It did not work for my husband. It also didn't work for my mother. So you can't assume that it will work for you. Yes, you probably wouldn't gain weight on it, but would it work for your situation? Talk to your doctor. And work through the meds.. You will find one that works for you.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Some meds really can contribute to weight gain and loss, but sometimes it is the behavior change.

Not knocking anyone who loves Wellbutrin or any other drug that works for them--that's awesome! I just don't want OP to get her heart set on that one because it may not be right for her. OP, remember that if one drug fit all, there would only be one on the market (or endless generics of the same formula). They really do affect people differently.
  • lcn1220
    lcn1220 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Working out 5 days a week...........no drugs required :)

Ditto. Was on all kinds of antidepressants. Working out hard 6 days a week did more for me than any of the drugs...and added bonus I dropped some weight. :)
  • healthychanges1
    Options
    Wellbutrin has been fabulous. I gained weight on Paxil, Lexapro, and Lamictal. I stayed the same on Prozac, but since adding Wellbutrin I actually lost weight (minimal, but still).
  • thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin. I lost 150 lbs after having my son while taking it, and im on it now!!!!!

I second this. It has no affect on weight at all.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Re: What antidepressant doesn't make you gain weight ?

exercise!

Quoting Legally Blonde:
    "Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't kill their husbands."
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Lexapro for a month I lost weight at first(no appetite and nausea for the first week and a half). Now I have reduced appetite still but no nausea and weight staying neutral. I'll lose again when I get exercising but now I actually have energy and motivation to move and exercise. :) I feel so much better. I'm taking it for anxiety and mild depression though. My anxiety is definitely worse than my depression.

Exercise is good for anxiety, worries and depression so yes do what you can to get exercise but try different anti-depressants till you get one that works. It seems different for everyone.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    My doctor took me off Seroquel because I gained 80lbs. I am currently on Lithium and Trazadone (for sleep) and I have absolutely no appetite at all.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Okay, for all the people saying "exercise" - you're not doing anyone any favors. Yes, exercise is great for your mood. But when you are depressed to the point where you can barely get out of bed every day, someone telling you to exercise is unhelpful at best and exacerbating at worst - one more thing to feel guilty about because you don't have the energy/motivation to do it. Taking an antidepressant can help someone to improve to the point where they can take care of themselves in other ways.
  • teletubbie87
    teletubbie87 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    yoga.... meditation.... walking at the beach.... writing down everything you feel ....

but well for me, Im always positive because I don't worry on the things I can't change...
    I just let God carry my troubles, because there's no point on worrying for something that
    is beyond our control... We rather jst sit and worry and cry ourselves to sleep or act and
    do something about it.. If there is no solution, then why worry about it?
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    Okay, for all the people saying "exercise" - you're not doing anyone any favors. Yes, exercise is great for your mood. But when you are depressed to the point where you can barely get out of bed every day, someone telling you to exercise is unhelpful at best and exacerbating at worst - one more thing to feel guilty about because you don't have the energy/motivation to do it. Taking an antidepressant can help someone to improve to the point where they can take care of themselves in other ways.

Exactly!
  • CaptainMaggots
    Options
    I've been taking Prozac for several months since my release from the psychiatric hospital, and I haven't noticed any weight gain caused specifically by this antidepressant.

But, I would still suggest talking to your doctor about this. It's always better to have a real experts opinion.

Good luck! :)
  • amillerwvu
    amillerwvu Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Amen. Some people are lacking serotonin. The "drug" (as some of you say) merely helps to replace that. Would you recommend that a diabetic person "exercise" to feel better? NO, that person needs insulin, just as some need serotonin. I'm glad exercise works for some of you; however, it might not be enough for someone else.
  • camsamdad
    camsamdad Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Mark's wife and currently a pharmacy student. There aren't any anti-depressants out there they won't make you put on the weight. All of the drugs in that class (Prozac probably being the worst) are also meant to be anti-anorexia drugs. They don't for instance make you eat, but your body responds by causing possible weight gain. Sorry :/
  • filomenae
    filomenae Posts: 110 Member
    Options

I second this. I absolutely despise taking medication, but I know it's necessary for my situation. Self-medicating via exercise can be enough for some people, but for others it simply isn't.

As for the OP, please speak with your PCP about getting a psychiatrist referral if you don't already have one, or look up provider's online who will take your insurance. Taking medical advice from an online forum may not be the best option. Good luck and try to be patient, as it may take a few switches to find what works best for you.