Am I in for a rude awakening

Options
I just bought a polar HRM on-line and waiting for it to be delivered. Since I started MFP I have used the exercise calories that are already set. So when I actually get this thing and strap it on am I gonna be distressed that it is no where near what I thought I was burning ?

Replies

• MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    nah, just use it knowing you are now closer and continuing to head in the right direction.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Just worrying I guess !
  • suzibanshee
    suzibanshee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You'll burn way more than you thought! I was pleasantly surprised.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I found my burns were way less than what MFP.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Just worrying I guess !

Don't worry. It's probably not that far off. I really oughta get one myself. But you're still doing the legwork and have lost weight so you're doing something right :)
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Mine are also a lot more that MFP wants to give me. Either way, you'll know you're more accurate with it.
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    MFP estimates are WAY above the cardio machines at the gym, I am waiting until I get back from vacation to buy a HRM but I have a feeling I'll be disappointed at my calorie burns when I do.
  • doug4018
    doug4018 Posts: 130
    Options
    I found that my estimates prior to using my Polar were lower.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how accurately you entered your exercise. Intensity isn't standardized.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    In my experience, my HRM (Polar FT7) calculates about 50-70% of the exercise calories suggested by the MFP database. It is disappointing at first but awareness is prosperity. Just focus on the fact that accurate information is more useful in the long run.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It can go either way, but I wouldn't worry. When I got my polar I found MFPs estimates were really low compared to my HRM.
  • jyuubi
    jyuubi Posts: 109
    Options
    I've found my Polar HRM is much higher (by maybe 100 calories, sometimes more) than the exercise machines I use, but about 50 calories less than what MFP tells me. It really depends how hard you work!
  • shellyk972
    shellyk972 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I dint that MFP says I burn a lot more than my HRM.. Disappointing at first, but now I don't really care about the difference!
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I found my polar was higher...either way, you are still working towards your goal!
  • Lizajane42
    Lizajane42 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I got my Polar last week and I find that it is either close to MFP or that it tells me I am burning more. I do think it depends on you though and how intense you are about working out!
  • jasonthekidd
    Options
    This is definately an intensity thing. The faster you get that heart beating, the more you burn...2 people can do the same workout side by side and have entirely different calories burned. The MFP precalculated burns are just estimates. Your HRM will know you better than a machine at the gym. :-)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    My burns were much higher than MFP's estimations. It all depends on how intense your workouts have been. If you've been kicking *kitten* you will probably be pleasantly surprised.
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    MFP estimates were lower than my hrm.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    You are in for a rude awakening.

MFP usually under calculates. Be prepared to get more calories than MFP was giving you! At least that was the case for me.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I was surprised how inaccurate the database is. I show a much greater burn on my HRM