Not eating enough calories

Options
Help!!!! This week I have been bad about getting in enough calories. I havent done much for exercise. I am just not that hungry. Has anyone had this problem? I know that it could put my body in starvation mode but what if you are just not hungry? Today I had 630 calories left over.

Replies

• sudione
    sudione Posts: 20
    Options
    Eat avocado! Nuts! Make smoothie with fruits or vegtables! You HAVE to bring the calories up if you want to lose weight. Good luck!
  • Piggytummy
    Piggytummy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you havent been doing too much as far as exercise goes its not as vital to get every single calorie in. If you start to up your activity youll probably most likely be hungry and end up fulfilling your calorie goals.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I am sitting here looking at 365 calories left..it's 10:30 at night and I don't want to eat. After eating all this weight on when I wasn't hungry now my mindset is I'm not hungry why do I have to eat :(
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    As long as it's not everyday, don't stress about it:smile:

Edited to add: My body "slowed down/plateaued" after over a year of 1200 calories or less a day. Don't over-think it. Starvation mode can be very real, but it doesn't happen in days or weeks.
  • takingnameskickingbutt
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about starvation mode. If you aren't hungry, don't eat.
  • Bittersweet82
    Options
    yes Dana....SO annoying!!!!! I'm doing great until i add in my exercise and then i get annoyed that i'm 700 calories remaining....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    yes Dana....SO annoying!!!!! I'm doing great until i add in my exercise and then i get annoyed that i'm 700 calories remaining....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

If it's regular exercise, just change your activity level and don't eat them back. That works better for some people.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Remember the body's needs hardly stop at midnight, and you may indeed feel the effect the next day for more food.

But if you go into the green 700 today, be willing to go into the red tomorrow 700 calories. You know how each day worked out. The weekly stat still looks the same. You are eating when you need to, mainly after the workout before the next one. All is good.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Never enough time in the day to eat TBH.
    Get into the habit of eating the cals and understand that nutrients are more important than your hormonal hunger response.
    The better you eat the more youll want to eat.
    Get the nutrients and build a better relationship with food and your body will flourish.
  • iammegs
    iammegs Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Easy yet okay fixes to add to salads or whatever you cook on the stove:

1. Olive oil
    2. Avocado
    3. Non-processed cheese
    4. Nuts (also easy on the go)

Basically, if you're already having 3+ meals a day (i.e. not skipping any) and aren't hungry, adding more meals doesn't make sense. Just add some calories to every meal. Like you said yourself, you have to avoid starvation mode!

Source: Jenny Craig (I recently went down from 1500 to 1200 calories, and the above were how I stayed at 1500)
  • Dana_gets_fit
    Dana_gets_fit Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the GREAT responses. I don't know if its because I am eating more fibrous foods or not. I have increased the veggies big time. My breakfast is the largest meal per day. Some days I want more and some I want less. At first, I struggled because I couldn't stay out of the red. Now that I am more aware of what I eat and my choices, I am not that hungry. For years I ignored my hunger and fullness signals. Now I guess that I am just nervous.

I am eating three meals a day and snacks if I am hungry but I just realized that I am eating less and less. I decreased the exercise because I am not eating as I was. I try not to overdo it.