Calling All Vegans

Options
2»

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Your bf should look at this as a challenge, not be worried. You make just about anything vegan. Peta even has a vegan cooking replacement list on their website on what you can use to sub eggs or milk in receipes.

As for subs...tofutti makes great faux cream cheese and sour creme
    earth balance is good 'butter'
    daiya and rice dream make good vegan cheese.

In many mexican receipes I replace meat with beans like pinto or black or both! Beans are high in protein! 2 cups of pinto beans gets 30g of protein! They are also a great source of fiber.
  • urbansmamma
    urbansmamma Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I think there is no shame leaning towards vegan ism. That is what I've done and had great success. Im not perfect, but I do strive towards becoming more and more vegan. Another thing I would tell you is just because it's vegan does not mean that it is healthy, low fat or low calorie. You will have amazing succeess if you eliminate or drastically reduce:

Oil
    Salt
    Processed sugar (fruit is fine)
    Processed food in general
    Limit carbs
    White flour

I plateaued after eating a mostly vegan diet and when I looked at what I was consuming I realized it was an issue with all of the above. I read all my food labels and don't but any products with ingredients I don't recognize, I don't buy earth balance anymore because it was a major trigger food not to mention has a ton of junk ingredients. I don't add sugar if a recipe does call for sugar I replace with dates instead of using other sweeteners. I am more militant during the week with my eating, but on weekends I do give myself more room for a bit more freedom in eating out. I think the main thing is making your own food and staying away from convenience food will tie you lots of success.

Here are some recipes that are my absolute favorites:

This is my favorite indian lentil recipe. Its a little work, but if you blend the spices in a coffee grinder it is AMAZING!! I top it with onions, avocado and instead of serving it on rice you can serve it on top of steamed cauliflower. We cook it at least 1 time per week and when company is coming over. It's an amazing source of protein. http://edenkitchen.com/red-lentil-dahl/

This is another AMAZING recipe packed with flavor and not calories. We made it for a BBQ and even meat eaters got seconds. http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/10/colleens-chickpea-burgers-with-tahini-sauce.html

Here is the Dr. oz smoothie recipe I told you about. It can be a little chunky in texture, but it's sooooo good for you! http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/dr-ozs-green-drink

This is the perfect hummus. It has no oil in it so it's much lower in calories. I love to add chipotle peppers to it for some serious punch. It's great for dipping veggies into or I use it as a dressing. I just thin it out with some red wine vinegar.
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2012/03/hummus-in-the-blender.html

I make a lot of soups packed with veggies we get from the farmers market. I like to put onions, carrots, fresh corn, zucchini, tomatoes, red bell pepper, cabbage. I cook it all in 20-ish minutes in water and low sodium veggie stock. Then I serve it up on brown rice or Latino style with cilantro, onions, oregano, lime squeeze, avocado and salsa. It's only 285 calories for 3 cups, which is A LOT!!

I make my own marinara sauce it's SUPER easy!! I use this sauce with veggies and top with chopped basil and nutritional yeast or you could add goat cheese or Parmesan. I also use this sauce to make my own veggie pizza and buy the dough at whole foods.

4 cloves minced garlic
    1- 28 oz can crushed low or no sodium tomatoes
    1/4 tsp dried thyme
    1/4 tsp dried oregano

On medium heat add 1/4 tsp of olive oil, add garlic cook till browned but not burned, then add tomatoes and seasoning. Cook for 10 mins add salt and pepper if needed.

Something rediculously easy but satisfying for dessert is fruit salad, which I never used to do, but there is something about sliced apples, strawberries, bananas or whatever else you have and top it with dried unsweetened coconut and raw walnuts. It's AMAZING!

I eat tons of salads and for dressings I use:
    Hummus
    Tahini & red wine vinegar
    Chopped garlic, chopped ginger, chopped cilantro splash of soy sauce, splash of rice vinegar, splash of sesame oil
    Salsa
    Soup
    Which reminds me of this article for ideas on how to eat salad when you don't feel like it http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2012/01/hidden-cashew-ranch-dressing-plus-tips-for-eating-salads-when-you-really-dont-want-to.html
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Not vegan, but my best friends are, they use a service called Farm Fresh To You, you can get local, organic produce delivered right to your door, depending on where you live of course, they live in L.A., so lots available to them, we live in GA, the service isnt available in my area but I was able to find some local farms that have a "You Pick" day. You can pick whatever is available or in season for very low costs.
  • monstercakes
    monstercakes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    if you're a fan of 'real' foods, as people call it, and cooking, it's easy!
  • jillianlovesyarn
    jillianlovesyarn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    As far as brand name foods, like a few others here I've decided to cut waaaay back on processed foods. Before my husband moved in whole foods were a staple for me and it was easy to maintain my weight and budget but he really likes the processed stuff. I do, too, because a lot of it's tasty. But it's expensive, not as satiating as whole foods and, if you're not careful, can really contribute to weight gain. Right now we have the occasional Wildwood or Sunshine burger (very different types of veggie burgers), Daiya or Dr. Cow vegan "cheese" or coconut milk ice cream. The processed foods we do have regularly tend to be minimally processed like tofu, tempeh or nut butter and almond milk (Almond Breeze).
    So I'm thinking I'm going to start back as a vegetarian and try to lean towards vegan. My boyfriend (a meat eater and chef) is concerned about his culinary abilities to cater to a vegan. He told me last night that he will support whatever I choose (as long as it's healthy of course), but as I said, he's worried about being able to cook for me on a daily basis if I were a die hard vegan. Vegetarian I know I can do (plus I would cut dairy....I won't drink milk unless it's rice or almond already anyway). Vegan on the other hand is going to take me some more research and experimenting with foods. This is going to be a long road! I'm struggling with whether I should start this right away or wait til after I recover from surgery. My surgeon says I need a VERY protein rich diet during recovery, and I'm still not great with figuring out what has high levels of protein, but is still lean and won't kill me on my calorie intake. If anyone could help on that, I would most definitely appreciate it!
    As mentioned, beans are a great, lean protein source. So is quinoa. You might also want to check out seitan. I haven't had it in a very long time because I discovered I can't eat gluten but homemade seitan is almost always better than store-bought so it's worth checking out a few recipes. Tempeh and tofu are also excellent. Spinach is surprisingly high in protein (especially if you're eating a mound of cooked spinach)

I find your boyfriend's reaction kind of surprising. It's nice to have support. It can be a huge challenge to move from omni to vegan so a lot of people choose to transition to vegetarianism first. It's one thing if it's your choice to start with vegetarianism because you want to figure things out as you go, but I wouldn't let your boyfriend's concerns dissuade you from making the leap. Perhaps find a way to bring him on board and make him more comfortable, too. I don't know what level of cooking your boyfriend does or what sort of training he's had. There is a small and growing contingency of vegan fine dining restaurants and even Charlie Trotter got in on the action with a raw vegan cookbook (http://www.amazon.com/Raw-Charlie-Trotter/dp/1580088341/ref=pd_sim_b_1). I'm kind of presuming your boyfriend is a bit of a foodie, so maybe also checking out a blog like this will make him more comfortable (I've got a baby in the house so it's mostly eye candy for me at the moment): http://veganmenu.blogspot.com/
  • BiggestL0s3r
    Options

For those of you that don't agree with the Vegan lifestyle....good for you. Keep your judgements and preaching to yourself. There are other sources of protein and nutrients besides animals and their products (dairy and eggs).

Thank you.

1. You are my hero for posting this, because I've only come accross narrow minded meat eaters on this site.
    2. I'm vegan (with occasional slip-ups onchocolate), and I don't use any substitutes. Fruit, veggies, and grain. There are farmer's markets near my house, where fruit and veggies are pretty cheap, and if you have a store "Sunflower" or "Sprouts" located fairly close to you, it's definitely worth checking out. It's a very vegan-friendly store.
  • FearlessLissy13
    Options
    I started being a vegetarian in July 2010, and last month I went vegan.
    If you want to do it but you're not sure you can, you should read some books about it or watch some documentaries.
    Sometimes people don't know all the cruelty that's going on in the world, and I think when you see videos or pictures of animals before/in a slaughterhouse, you don't even want it anymore. You just don't.
    For me, watching a couple of documentaries such as Earlings and Forks Over Knives, and also the book Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer really changes my mindset and my view on the world. It was because of those that I finally took the last step and went vegan.
    It can be hard in the beginning, especially when you find out that you can't eat some of your favorite foods anymore, but I promise you'll get used to it with time.
    As soon as I started, it wasn't all that hard to stick to it. You just have to start, and if you're honest and sincere about it, nothing can go wrong. Maybe you could write down all the reasons why you wanna do it and put that list on the wall in your kitchen, or somewhere you see it every time you might wanna give up.

Good luck!! :)
  • smulokwa
    smulokwa Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just watched Forks Over Knives which was immensely helpful. Some where along the line we started to believe the only source of protein came from animals. Not so. Plus the studies and research they highlight will really change your mind.

The best thing I've learned is to keep it simple and yummy. Feeling better is a nice plus as well! Good luck!
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options

For those of you that don't agree with the Vegan lifestyle....good for you. Keep your judgements and preaching to yourself. There are other sources of protein and nutrients besides animals and their products (dairy and eggs).

Thank you.

1. You are my hero for posting this, because I've only come accross narrow minded meat eaters on this site.
    2. I'm vegan (with occasional slip-ups onchocolate), and I don't use any substitutes. Fruit, veggies, and grain. There are farmer's markets near my house, where fruit and veggies are pretty cheap, and if you have a store "Sunflower" or "Sprouts" located fairly close to you, it's definitely worth checking out. It's a very vegan-friendly store.

This is what I do too, right down to the occasional slip up on chocolate lol. I also have Celiac so I am gluten free as well as vegan. The only substitution I use is Earth Balance, and I don't use it often. My little container of it will last at least a month, and usually if it gets used it during baking.

As for protein, I try to not even think about it too much and I definitly don't worry about it. I do have soy protein powder that I add to smoothies a couple times a week, it has 25g of protein and I never even know its there when I'm drinking.
  • Fit_is_fun
    Options
    Hi there,

I see that someone else has recommended Colleen Patrick Goudreau's amazing and invaluable podcast, Vegetarian Food for Thought. I also want to recommend her new online program, http://www.30dayveganchallenge.com/.

The introductory price is $20, but it will be money well spent. I am on day 4 (the program just launched on August 1st but you can register anytime; it's a rolling program) and I kid you not, I am so excited to open my email each morning. So far, I've received a podcast, 2 videos, numerous PDFs and recipes, and very well written information on making the transition. I am a fairly new vegan who has done very well to date, but I am thoroughly enjoying the program so far and know from her podcast that I will learn a lot. Her philosophy is that people are often not able to stay vegan because they have not replaced their old habits and ways of thinking with new ones. She helps fill the void so you have a roadmap for the rest of your life.

One of the nice things about Colleen is that in addition to covering health and animal rights, she gives you the confidence and tools to navigate being vegan in all kinds of social situations without being preachy, judgmental, or apologetic about your lifestyle. I have her book, The Vegan's Daily Comapnion (which I highly recommend; the stories of animal rescues and vegan transformations alone are worth the price of the book) and she gives examples of how to gracefully answer questions that, as a new vegan, you may not be prepared for. It's easy to be vegan in the comfort of your own home, but can be more difficult in social situations or at family holidays, for example.

Reading the list of what to expect for each day of the challenge, I can tell you that the program is very thorough and will address questions you may not even know you have. The fact that it is presented in different mediums makes it engaging. I loved listening to the podcast on the way to work. I saved the video today for after work to give me something to look forward to.

Colleen will also be creating a new Facebook page this week specifically for those doing the Challenge so you'll get a lot of support.

Hope to see you there! Either way, best of luck!

P.S. I just reread your original post and tomorrow's Challenge topic is "Eating Healthfully Affordably". She also has a free podcast on the topic that you may want to check out. Just go to vegetarianfoodforthought.com and type "affordably" in the search box.
  • A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    How do you do it???

I used to be Pescatarian, but haven't been again for almost a year now. I chose to be Pescatarian because I wanted to cut out meat from my diet (due to heart disease in my family I especially wanted to cut out red meat, but since I'm not a huge poultry fan anyway I had cut that too), but I wanted to keep some sort of protein so I kept eggs, fish and seafood.

I recently have been thinking about going back to my old lifestyle, but this time I am thinking of cutting all animal products. I do a lot of reading and it horrifies me to think of some of the things I am ingesting by eating farmed animals. Not to mention the inhumane way these animals are slaughtered as well.

So for all of those Vegans out there....I need some suggestions on how to make this lifestyle work long term. What are some substitutions you use? What are some of your favorite brands? How do you stick to this lifestyle on a budget?

Thank you.

Not trying to change your mind or judge you. However what you ingest and the treatment of the animals we ingest depends on the source. There are a growing number of small farmers who not only don't subject their livestock to the same conditions as large outfits but also don't use pesticides or hormones and many of them only graze their livestock feeding them little to no grain.

I just feel it needs to be said that there are options out there for people who want to eat clean meat from animals that are well treated during their lifetime.

localharvest.org is a good place to find farmers like these as well as vegetable farms and farmers markets in your area.

If you just want to be vegan/vegetarian regardless simply ignore this post.