General lack of motivation and looking for advice

Options
I've been on again and off again with MFP for many months! I have a really hard time finding motivation to exercise and have tried many different forms of exercise but will get into it for about a week and then slip right back into being a couch potato :p My energy level is very low most days and my body feels like it's 100 years old sometimes! I know I'm not anemic and my vitamin levels were average so I'm not sure what's up with me. I've been thinking about seeing my physician about possible anti-depressants although I really dont like the idea of taking prescriptions and I'm not sure that depression is exactly what this is. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you dont know what you are doing.

How much are you set to lose per week?

Did you select sedentary when you are really moderately active?

Are you forcing yourself to eat low calories in hopes that your hormones wont bottom out and stop fat loss?
  • Esther50
    Esther50 Posts: 252
    Options
    I have a hard time staying motivated to exercise. I tried treadmill bicycle and elliptical, it is all boring to me. I did kickboxing, little better. I do spin cycling now, have found to enjoy this more. Instructors is really cool, great music and is really motivating. Come out of class really sweating and feeling like I really accomplished something. So my suggestion is try many different things until you find what you really enjoy. It is easier if you really enjoy it.
  • Afterblue
    Afterblue Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It may not be depression. It could be adult ADHD. It could be a thyroid issue. It is nice to get a clean bill of health before starting just to ensure you don't experience any set backs that were out of your control, if you haven't already.

If you are all set, I'd look at four factors.

1. What are you eating? If your diet is primarily a lot of processed carbs and you eat in an irregular fashion, it could be contributing to your feeling of tiredness. Do you have 3 balanced meals, and 2 snacks daily? Do you consume enough protein and complex carbs? I sometimes use meal replacement shakes to supplement when I don't have time, and that is an option to consider if you are busy.

2. What is the primary excuse you give yourself when you don't feel like exercising? Do you need mental motivation because you are mentally tired of it all, or physical motivation because you are physically tired after a long day? Figuring out what it is that keeps you from engaging in a fitness routine will help you figure out a solution.

3. Are you sociable? Joining a fitness class might help keep you accountable. If not, sometimes it is about finding the right fitness routine. My friend who hates dancing, hates aerobics, will scream bloody murder if she sees a pair of weights found that if she got off her train and walked the two miles home, she not only let go of work related stress, she started to enjoy the mental clarity it gave her. Slowly, as she exercised, she got more energy and now she even walks to the station. You might enjoy a sport, or kicking the **** out of a punching bag. Don't go for "maximum guaranteed results" just yet. Pick a program that fits your personality- whether you chose to workout at home, outside, or at a gym.

4. Why is it that you want to get fit? Most people have a very tangible reason that is far out in terms of time. What worked for me is not to get into a string bikini, but to lose 10 pounds first. It seemed more attainable. I would put a weight tracker on my fridge to see how I was doing. It gave me something to look forward to that seemed attainable in the short term, and not 8 months into the future. You might be the same way, or you may not. But pick short term goals. They help a lot in keeping motivation up.
  • Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Motivation starts in your mind, you have to make it up and be serious. The support will come from others who care. No off and on, turn the switch on and leave it on! Don'T lose a pound or two and stop. NO NO keep going till you reach your goal. When you stop and then gain, depression sets in. Think about it and just do it! Good luck!
  • sandiburn
    sandiburn Posts: 149
    Options
    Motivation starts in your mind, you have to make it up and be serious. The support will come from others who care. No off and on, turn the switch on and leave it on! Don'T lose a pound or two and stop. NO NO keep going till you reach your goal. When you stop and then gain, depression sets in. Think about it and just do it! Good luck!
    /quote]

I agree. It statrs with YOU first. And we are ALL here to support and help motivate you.
  • bewilder82
    bewilder82 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who replied! Its good to know that I have the support :)
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I find that if I mix up my routine it helps to keep from getting bored. I'll do ten mins. on elliptical, work on the balance ball with weights, do some jump rope, go back to weights, push ups, crunches, back to weights then ten more mins. on the machine and I'm done! I love mixing it up in different combinations during the week too. For instance, I'll focus on lower body one day and upper the next. Its never the same and I have noooo time to get bored.
  • bewilder82
    Options
    Thank you for your much thought out and extensive response! I have been looking at some of the factors you mentions; made a change in my career and just started at a new job, and I've been looking at my diet and trying to make changes week to week to add more fruits and veggies and less processes foods (except for the occasional splurge).
    As for work outs, I've actually found many things enjoyable but it's just keeping persistence that I'm having trouble with and I've not found a steady workout partner to join up with.
    I'm not giving up! There are many reasons I want to be fit but I definitely think your advice about having a tangible goal is worth trying... Time to go shopping! lol
    Thank you again, much appreciated advice
  • bewilder82
    Options
    The above reply was for 'Afterblue'... apparently I dont know how to work the message boards yet, lol
  • lucy2021
    lucy2021 Posts: 24
    Options
    I feel alot of the same things that you do. Sometimes my excuse is I don't have enough time or I'm to tired. I'm starting to realize, slowly, that if I DON'T do the excercise that is when I get more depressed, or I guess that disappointed is maybe a better word for how I feel. If you would like to be an online work out buddy that would be great. We can help to motivate each other and hold each other accountable. I know it's not the same as a "in real life" work out buddy, but hopefully we would be able to help each other.
  • hiawathaperez
    hiawathaperez Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I detect a note of real concern on your part about your general health. It would behoove you to see your physician to rule out any organic problems go from there.

I went to my NP and she ran a full thyroid battery and viola...hypothyroid. I also have a chemical imbalance thanks to the genetic witches brew that is my life! Wellbutrin.....what a fabulous coupling for moi I have lost 20 and counting. I feel human again, up up up from the pits of dispair.

Apparently there are plenty of people on this website who are in the same or similar boat trying to
    do the best that they can to stay motivated in their exercise and nutrition programs, you are in good company.

On a personal note I suffer from chronic synchronized web and channel surfing If it were an Olympic event I would no doubt be the darling of the United States with many a Gold Medal.
    I have self diagnosed as an Alzheimer's Bulimic I eat yet forget to yack.
    This is how I find myself here at MFP logging every morsel I consume....so far so good.

Love your Sheltie, they are so intelligent its like having another person in the room.

You are a fab gal now get up get out there see your Doc if you can make certain you are in the pink.....
    Then come back here and get crackin!!!

whoop! whoop! the party is on!
  • lucy2021
    lucy2021 Posts: 24
    Options
    Love the diagnoisis!

I definately agree about getting the Dr. seal of approval. I also have hypothyroidism so a little pill every morning helps to keep me level. Funny how one little gland can wreak such havick in our bodies.