What happens when goals reached?

Options
Ok so its early days (i think) but im actually losing weight for once, admittedly i havent done it properly in the past. I weigh 68.5kg and weighed 70.1 two weeks ago.

I dont actually have much fat to lose my body fat is 20% muscles percent is 40%

My question is...when do i stop dieting and what happens then...ive never normally reached a goal or saw this amount of weight loss since ive "dieted" whilst weight training trying to build muscle so my weight always stayed the same (i used to put it down to replacing fat with muscle)

I would like a flat stomach and for my abs to show more. so far the most noticeable for me is my legs and arms :( but my swim shorts are looser now so it must be going from my belly too...

So... when do i stop dieting? how do i make sure i dont gain fat again... and how can i bulid muscle without getting fat.. ha ha :$

Replies

• happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Increase you calories slowly week by week in small steps until you are no longer losing. That will be how much your 'maintenance' calories are.

Then from there, once you've fully established good maintenance, develop your workout plan.

I'd love to be in mainenance. So JEALOUS :)
  • Buksh12
    Buksh12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    From your weight loss ticker your doing amazingly well! :) im just lucky that i dont have much to do.. or i dont think i do anyway.. god know... ive clearly been wrong in the past ha ha! :$

So if i stay in maintenance calories can i still build muscle...and what excercise should i do.. i want to stay healthy so i know cardio is good for that.. but i also want to build muscle which is higher weights and lower reps ha ha.. i dont know if cardio will hamper trying to build muscle...
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    From your weight loss ticker your doing amazingly well! :) im just lucky that i dont have much to do.. or i dont think i do anyway.. god know... ive clearly been wrong in the past ha ha! :$

So if i stay in maintenance calories can i still build muscle...and what excercise should i do.. i want to stay healthy so i know cardio is good for that.. but i also want to build muscle which is higher weights and lower reps ha ha.. i dont know if cardio will hamper trying to build muscle...

Sounds like your next goal is to build muscle. If so, and depending to what extent you might consider upping your calories to above maintenance and ensuring that you are intaking an adequate amount of protein. From my own experience, my biggest regret is that I lost too much weight which in turn burned up precious muscle mass. You don't want to do this. Reducing your cardio too will be necessary if the goal is to build muscle.
  • Buksh12
    Options
    Yeh i think so too! at the moment i do a shed load of cardio.

I think once ive reached the fat level i want then i'l swap it to around 20-30% cardio and the rest weights maybe.. i'l just have to mointor my shape closely and make sure im not gaining fat. i assume aslong as im burning the calories i eat.. i wont gain fat since theres no left over calories...i.e my TDEE
  • Weightlossangel
    Options
    I think it is important not to think of it as dieting, but making changes to our diet, that deliver healther choices, which are easier to burn off with every day activities.
  • MelissaRMyers
    Options
    Hmm I have a very particular reason I'm over-shooting my actual long term goal. But effectively once I hit my goal, I'll assess my body. I haven't been that weight for 23 years, I might want to go a bit further, or not... Then I intend to gently gain wait back to my long term goal.
    My reasons for the weight management are hormonal abnormalities, without going into detail.
  • ericgAU
    Options

I think once ive reached the fat level i want then i'l swap it to around 20-30% cardio and the rest weights maybe.. i'l just have to mointor my shape closely and make sure im not gaining fat. i assume aslong as im burning the calories i eat.. i wont gain fat since theres no left over calories...i.e my TDEE

Mate, believe me. Going from a deficit for 15 months to then switching to a surplus messes with your head big time. Initially I was so concerned about putting fat back on that I was doubtful that what I was doing would work. Alas, 5 months on I really like what Im seeing in the mirror.

In addition to the mental games of eating big, I also has to overcome a fear of going into the weights room. Armed with my weights program downloaded free from bodybuilding.com I went in there with a single determination and focus and went at it.

You are right what you say about your calories. Just train with intensity, eat reasonably cleanly and you will see the results you want.
  • Buksh12
    Options

Mate, believe me. Going from a deficit for 15 months to then switching to a surplus messes with your head big time. Initially I was so concerned about putting fat back on that I was doubtful that what I was doing would work. Alas, 5 months on I really like what Im seeing in the mirror.

In addition to the mental games of eating big, I also has to overcome a fear of going into the weights room. Armed with my weights program downloaded free from bodybuilding.com I went in there with a single determination and focus and went at it.

You are right what you say about your calories. Just train with intensity, eat reasonably cleanly and you will see the results you want.

Thanks :D i dont have a problem with eating big ha ha :$ but that in itself is the problem ha ha!

This site has taught me alot about what i eat and how much i eat though... so fingers crossed!

aprpeciate the info! and grats on reaching your goals! :)
  • ericgAU
    Options
    [/quote]

Thanks :D i dont have a problem with eating big ha ha :$ but that in itself is the problem ha ha!

This site has taught me alot about what i eat and how much i eat though... so fingers crossed!

aprpeciate the info! and grats on reaching your goals! :)
    [/quote]

Thanks heaps. I'm sure that most of us here on MFP have absolutely no problem eating big! Its why we are here in the first place! All the best.