Spinning/Indoor cycling advice

Options
I've been doing spinning about 3 months now and I love it. I'm getting stronger but my technique is a poor and I need to build more power in my legs. Have been playing around with the seat height and need to find that balance between getting it high enough to generate more push and power through my legs but not so much that the saddle hurts (I do have very unattractive padded cycling shorts which are worth every penny!) Any tips on how to correctly set up the handlebars, height etc?

Also I have been reading in magazines etc how many calories spinning is meant to burn. I look like a beetroot and am wringing with sweat at the end of a class but never seem to get near the number of calories that they've claimed - This podcast from experts made me feel better.

http://www.indoorcyclingassociation.com/public/The_REAL_skinny_on_burning_Calories_in_your_indoor_cycling_classes.cfm

Replies

• cherub159
    cherub159 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    All I can suggest is going to your local bike shop and getting yourself properly set up. Its so worth it and is better for your knees, hips back... everything really.
    An improved posture will also improve your power.
    I'm not sure about the calorie thing, but al long as you're trying you best in the efforts there is not much you can do.
    Do you just spin by yourself? Or go to a class? Watch a DVD? If you spin by yourself I would highly suggest going to a few classes so someone can give you a few tips in person. If nothing else, a DVD so you are empowered to finish that interval.
  • EbnyIvry
    EbnyIvry Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Adjust the seat height so that when you are in the saddle with foot in the stirrup and leg extended your knee is slightly bent. The handlebar should be approximately at the same height as the seat.