The Elliptical v/s treadmill or walking?

Options
My good cholesterol is low, and my doctor told me that to bring it up,is to walk. I traded in my treadmill for an elliptical. I like the elliptical bettr, it works me out harder in a shorter period of time. I have to walk on the treadmill 30 minutes to get the same benefits as just 15 minutes on the elliptical.
Does this mean i can cut my workout time in half? Is the elliptical as good as walking or better? Which do you prefer between the elliptical, or the treadmill or just walking? and for how long?

Replies

• Ready2BHealthyNFit
    Options
    From what I understand the elliptical is better in the fact that its a lot easier on your joints, and you get more of your body involved when using one.

I prefer the elliptical, for the above stated reasons and because after 30 minutes I"m pouring sweat and my legs are on fire. :) I wouldn't cut down your workout though, if you are already used to 30 minutes of cardio then stick with 30 minutes of cardio.. you just get extra benefits from using the elliptical.
  • Menene
    Menene Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love to walk when i get the chance. If not, i like the Elliptical better then the treadmill. It is better on my knees. However ,either way I try to do it for at least 30 minutes to get and keep my heartrate up to burn fat.
  • metalvegan
    metalvegan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I find the opposite to be true - the elliptical doesn't do much for me, but running on a treadmill (or the ground) gets me really sweating!!
  • darias_mommy
    darias_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i am a fan of "mixing it up'. do some days on treadmill, elliptical or walking. throw in a bike now and then and the stair climber. i also like to divide the time and do 15 minutes on one and then do 15 more on another, for example. Believe me, you feel it and get a great sweat on. Don't stick to the same machines too long. The body gets used to it and the benefit decreases unless you jack up time or intensity. Have fun with all of them!
  • emkohler77
    emkohler77 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yeah, ditch the treadmill and use the elliptical if you're working out indoors. I really love walking though. Try to find a nice park or trail or someplace beautiful near you and walk there just to be outside and get fresh air. There's a Lake near me with a great 5 mile trail that I go to all the time. It makes the time invested pay off in another way- it's relaxing and I get to think!
  • Lakeswoman
    Lakeswoman Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I use the treadmill just because I have yet to conquer the elliptical..so far 13 minutes. But my goal is to use it more often as it does a better overall job.Then I plan to mix it up.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Are you getting your calorie burns from the machines or a HRM?

Whatever exercise you are more likely to do long term is best for you. I LOVE running on a treadmill with some intense intervals, but everyone will have different opinions.
  • borichfan
    borichfan Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is easier on my joints and feet because i have a heelspur and heel pain sometimes. It's better than pounding my feet on the treadmill, and the elliptical burns more calories.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    i am a fan of "mixing it up'. do some days on treadmill, elliptical or walking. throw in a bike now and then and the stair climber. i also like to divide the time and do 15 minutes on one and then do 15 more on another, for example. Believe me, you feel it and get a great sweat on. Don't stick to the same machines too long. The body gets used to it and the benefit decreases unless you jack up time or intensity. Have fun with all of them!

I also like to mix up my cardio. Elliptical, treadmill, rower, bicycling, etc. I can burn a lot of calories doing any of those things! The key is intensity!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is easier on my joints and feet because i have a heelspur and heel pain sometimes. It's better than pounding my feet on the treadmill, and the elliptical burns more calories.

Bicycling may be a good choice!
  • latlatt
    latlatt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree, I fun with them all. I also do 15 to 20 mins. on each machine so I won't get bored.
  • swoodward8
    Options
    I just finished reading "Younger Next Year for Women" and it recommends 45 minutes of cardio 4 times a week. I also agree with mixing it up a bit, although I tend to stick with the elliptical due to my knee. Lately I have been alternating workouts between 45 minutes on the elliptical and Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred, and have had good results.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I enjoy walking but I feel that the elliptical works me more. Yay mine will be fixed soon.