Reeval time

Options
Just reworked my goals based on http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 and hope I start having more positive results. Spending the whole summer to lose only .2 pounds in spite of vigorous exercise and staying at my calorie level is beyond disheartening. I've been on MFP for like 18 months and thought my slow loss was probably from age/ hormones. I'm going to give this a try and I'll let you know how it goes. I'm rather scared since I've not been losing at lower calorie levels but from all I can see, that may well have been the problem all along. So, here goes.........

Replies

• hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Just reworked my goals based on http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 and hope I start having more positive results. Spending the whole summer to lose only .2 pounds in spite of vigorous exercise and staying at my calorie level is beyond disheartening. I've been on MFP for like 18 months and thought my slow loss was probably from age/ hormones. I'm going to give this a try and I'll let you know how it goes. I'm rather scared since I've not been losing at lower calorie levels but from all I can see, that may well have been the problem all along. So, here goes.........
    Ive upped ,mine a few hundred and im losing if i stick to eating low sugars. I think sugar might have big infuence on how I loose weight. But I do think you can eat more and lose weight as long as its not crap.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I am just about your age (54) and began following the road map about 4 weeks ago. Don't know about you, but my whole life has been about cutting my calories to the point of being miserable trying to lose weight. I always thought of it as a personal failure - I"m just not "doing it right". I just don't have the "willpower" to succeed. Well, for the last four weeks I have been losing about 1.5 to 1.9 pounds a week. I am sitting at 1500 calories right now. According to the road map,I should be at 1600 but I was terrifed to up them that much at one time. This MOnday I will up them to 1600 until I reach a certain weight and then I'll refigure my numbers. I am so excited to know that my body has responded to healthy eating and not just starving all the time. I haven't been doing this long - there are scores of others who may be of more help - but you should not give up. Stay strong! Best of luck to you! Update us on your success!!!
  • klgglasgow
    klgglasgow Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey, there. When I first got on MFP, I set my cals at 1200 (EGADS!!!) thinking it would help me. After awhile of not losing anything & starving, I stumbled across Dan's Roadmap, recalculated based on my BMR & activity level. I've lost about seven lbs. in a few weeks with eating SOOOO much more. I feel infinitely better, have way more energy, and can exercise more because of the increased cals. I'm loving it! I also eat Paleo/Primal, so I was a little scared to see if this way would still work for me, but I now am secure & confident that it DOES work. And SO well! :)
  • TonyaBtrfly
    TonyaBtrfly Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Im 41 years old and 5'1. Im eating 1800 calories a day on Dans advice and now backed up by fitbit. Tomorrow is day 65 of my MFP / EM2WL journey. I have lost 15 lbs and 22". including 4" in my waist and 6" in my hips. I couldnt be more thrilled with my results. I feel amazing, Im not hungry. I find my self wanting to exercice. I have a whole new attitude on life. My double chin is almost gone and ive gone from a size 18 jeans to size 16. I love EM2WL and tell everyone who will listen! I have a long way to go ( about 40lbs) but now i know i will get there and i will enjoy the ride! Theres no reason to be hungry ever!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I started off following MFP's goals and found it too hard. I upped my calories several times. I would lose sporadically, but wasn't getting the progress I wanted. I felt tired and didn't have the energy I needed for my workouts. I'm now using the TDEE-20% method and I'm losing consistently, I have energy and it's great to be able to eat plenty and still lose weight!

You can do this!!
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I started with MFP in January at 1200 calories and of course, less is more right? So I was ending up netting about 600. Yikes!

4 months of that noise and I gained 3#. How was that possible? I had seen some of Dan's posts and send him a message. He ran my numbers, gave me a new (and frightening) amount of calories to consume and sent several high calorie friends to me to encourage me on my way! What a difference 3 months made!

Down 7#, lost 4.5% body fat and have done it without losing my precious lean mass! I have never felt better!
    Stay the course and you'll be amazed at the results! Congratulations on you accomplishments so far and good luck on your continued fitness journey! :flowerforyou:
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    i upped my cals from 1200 to 1400. So far so good. I have gained 2 pounds but my waist and belly button measurements are still the same. SO, for me, I am good.... Good luck to you
  • cbendorf13
    cbendorf13 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hey, there. When I first got on MFP, I set my cals at 1200 (EGADS!!!) thinking it would help me. After awhile of not losing anything & starving, I stumbled across Dan's Roadmap, recalculated based on my BMR & activity level. I've lost about seven lbs. in a few weeks with eating SOOOO much more. I feel infinitely better, have way more energy, and can exercise more because of the increased cals. I'm loving it!

This is pretty much the same for me
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Hey there!! I went from eating 1200 calories per day and only netting between 800-1000 calories per day with exercise and couldn't figure out why I was still not losing the weight!! It's so frustrating!!:sad:

Dan helped me out in the beginning with my numbers but I was too scared to listen and didn't up my calories to what he said would work for me...I have since realized my mistake b/c I was still doing the same as above and if I had followed his plan to begin with I would be so much closer to goal or maybe even at goal by now...I am now at 1800 calories per day and 2000+ on my lifting days....I feel so much better and my nails are actually growing for the first time in my life (which I have wanted forever..lol)....I love having energy and not feeling like I am going to pass out while working out too...:bigsmile:

To make this short, trust this process with eating more and getting enough calories....Stick with it to give your body time to adjust and you will have no regrets!! Just have PATIENCE and it will work for you!! You will be a stronger and healthier you!! :smile:

ETA: Best of luck to you!! You CAN do it!! :flowerforyou:
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Such a great, positive thread!! I'm in the process of upping my calories (again!) and will reassess in a few weeks. Every time, it seems scary, then it works and I'm like, why did I even worry?! And then I add an apple to my helloitsdan shrine. :tongue:
  • hothodgie
    hothodgie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I too started at 1200. Joined EM2WL and upped my calories to 1400. I still had a hard time netting enough calories though. I read Dan's in place of a roadmap. At the time I had been stuck at 14 lbs loss for 3 weeks. After reading Dan's road map thread and a few other posts he had written responses to, I did my numbers and upped my calories to almost 1800. The first week I lost 2 pounds and the second week I lost another 2 pounds. Not sure about this week yet, but I will weigh in tomorrow. I am just glad I followed his advice.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Such a great, positive thread!! I'm in the process of upping my calories (again!) and will reassess in a few weeks. Every time, it seems scary, then it works and I'm like, why did I even worry?! And then I add an apple to my helloitsdan shrine. :tongue:

I agree. This is a very positive thread. Not something you see everyday on MFP! :happy: I also agree that upping cals is very scary! I just upped mine to 1600 and have my weigh in on Monday. You're right, Dan's thread should be the first thing people see when they log on to MFP for the first time!
  • lcallbaugh
    Options
    Same here. Just upped my cals from 1330 to about 1800 using Dan's roadmap. Fell great already. My first weigh in using this is Monday. Very excited. However, I am more focused on BF%. That will be calculated again in 2 wks. I can already tell it will be a success.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Yay people eating, that's what I like to see. I was on the dreaded 1200 cal diet at first because I didn't have a clue and I think the logical part of my brain jumped ship. I have had much more success netting 1700. Now I'm not fat, yay :P
  • Bucky2BeBetty
    Bucky2BeBetty Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Failed on day 1! I fell asleep before I bit all my calories eaten. But i did eat more than I usually have. New day. Start again.
  • silvercanoe
    silvercanoe Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • hsmom4christ
    Options
    I too am 5'1" I am going to look into that eatmore2weigh less thing you were talking about. I'd love to have you as a friend to help me out. Being 5'1" it's hard for people to understand where I want to be weight wise and why. People think it sounds like nothing but when you're 5'7" you need to weigh more and it's nice to have people who understand the hight and the weight thing.
  • Bucky2BeBetty
    Bucky2BeBetty Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    One week into the eating more thing: Have not lost any more pounds but also have not gained any which I was quite afraid of. But did lose about 1/2 inch off hips and waist which totally blew me away. I was NOT expecting that because it has been a kind of cruddy week with a horrid overindulgence in brownie batter one afternoon and several out of town trips which meant I did not get all my cardio/ weight time in. I will continue on and see what next week brings. Hoping some pounds will drop. I am right at 141 and dying to drop below 140. Have not been in the 130s for such a long long time! I know I weighed 130 in 1993 when I started my current job!