I think MFP is making me fatter

Options
Since I've joined MFP, all I've done is OBSESS about food. I've become more aware, yet more paranoid. All I think about is food and logging and I feel like it's making me hungrier than if I just didn't worry about it. Anyone else feel the same way??

Replies

• valmb2
    valmb2 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    No, not at all actually. I am the other way, obsessing over it and not wanting to eat. Sometimes I have to force myself to get 1200 calories. A lot of that might have to do with stress though.
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've been on for 7 months. I don't stress if my bust my calorie goal periodically. I feel like MFP has made me more aware and able to make better choices. And if I make the conscious decision to splurge - I log it but don't worry about it. Healthy eating needs to be a sustainable lifelong journey - not a temporary diet.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Since I've joined MFP, all I've done is OBSESS about food. I've become more aware, yet more paranoid. All I think about is food and logging and I feel like it's making me hungrier than if I just didn't worry about it. Anyone else feel the same way??

How long have you been tracking food intake and have you taken any breaks in that time?
  • barbie_g1rl
    Options
    i love mfp fpr the support and seeing that number on the ticker go down :) dont obsess jus enjoy the support from ur friends and make it a lifestyle change. i hate the word 'diet' Xx
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    Total opposite here....I totally understand about the obsessing though, but it has passed. Good luck.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I am just moving beyond the obsessive logging part (though I still log every bite). But I've gotten less and less hungry all the time. I'm having a hard time being hungry enough to hit my calorie goals, never mind net.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I might be easier to comment if i could see your food diary... are you exercising? getting enough calories?

for me MFP actually helped me. b4 joining i was trying to restrict myself way too much.
  • emily14046
    Options
    I've only been tracking since March. Well, Weight Watchers March-May and then on here since then. Sometimes (not often) I don't log everything I eat because I'm embarassed, but I at least log most of it. I've never taken a complete "day off".
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I use to obsess over it and then it got sunny. I found it kinda fun. I still log because I regularly check on a few friends. Itll get old eventually.

If your feeling hungry chances are your hungry...which means you probably wore off your supply and should eat...or your not getting proper nutrients or enough water. Fix those things and it wont be a chore
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I've only been tracking since March. Well, Weight Watchers March-May and then on here since then. Sometimes (not often) I don't log everything I eat because I'm embarassed, but I at least log most of it. I've never taken a complete "day off".

Assuming you are not morbidly obese and that your weight is not a serious health issue, I would take a complete week off of tracking. At the very least, 3-4 days.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I have been on MFP for a year and a half now, so that doesn't happen to me anymore. It did happen to me in the beginning though... until I had to give myself a little break then get back to logging.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options

Assuming you are not morbidly obese and that your weight is not a serious health issue, I would take a complete week off of tracking. At the very least, 3-4 days.

Agreed! A whole week will do you a lot of good!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    i definitely find myself obsessing a bit over what I eat, wanting to make sure I log things. and checking all the details several times a day. BUT it's a WAY better obsession than my previous one: thinking about food all the time and being unable to deny the urge to eat it.

If you think you spend too much time thinking about food because you constantly need to pay attention and log it perhaps you could plan ahead, prepare and log some of the easier things ahead of time. Then you can just head to the kitchen to grab your meal/snack without having to think about it.
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options

If you are embarrassed about your food journal, make it private. It's for YOU, nobody else! :happy:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Agree!! I have been logging (both in hand written journals and since early last year on MFP) for 37 months now and really it is just second nature anymore... I know my calories for most meals, don't have to look alot of it up anymore just log it.. But if you are struggling take a break, I do every few months take a week off then get back to it... Best of Luck.......
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Tracking food keeps me accountable and it's a good way to look back at my choices and how they affect my wt loss and inches lost. Very helpful for me...
  • emily14046
    Options
    I started at 167 (overweight/borderline obese range) and now I'm 146 (healthy) but I want to lose another 10 lbs. For some reason when I have my "bad days" I gain like 10 lbs..even though I don't go completely bonkers with it. I'm afraid that if I take a week off, I'll be back to where I started.
  • Markmac234
    Options
    Fot me, it's been the one thing that's kept me focussed and I have steadily lost 2 stone over several months. I'm still going to use it to maintain my current weight and keep me on the straight and narrow.
  • emily14046
    Options
    I'm 5'7" by the way
  • emmclean
    emmclean Posts: 297 Member
    Options

Don't be embarrassed, no one is perfect :) However don't try and pretend that what you've eaten hasn't happened, that doesn't help anyone, you can't undo it! If you've eaten it then log it - i know it can be hard, I've felt the same way on bad days but you have to face your bad food decisions to move away from them except from when you've earned them.

Taking a break for a week is good advice. MFP works for many, but not all.