New! :)

Options
Hi everyone! I just started on here two days ago after not being happy with my appearance for a while and finding out I have high blood pressure/high cholesterol, I am finally ready to make my change. Anyone is welcome to add me, we are all in this together! Also, I do have some questions... MFP gave me a daily calorie intake of 1,380 a day. My net calories for the past two days have been around 700 - should my NET calories be 1,380? Or is 700 okay? I have read that alot of people lose weight this way, but then have problems losing later on... I am looking to lose about 90 pounds within the next year, or as soon as humanly possible.

Brittany

Replies

• bluex232
    bluex232 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but pretty sure the verdict on here is that you should at least net 1200 calories a day. That is a healthier amount and also in my opinion a more realistic amount to be able to maintain. I don't think 700 calories a day is realistic long term, which I think would lead to gaining weight back.
  • BlackStarlight
    BlackStarlight Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    HI!
    Welcome to MFP! Good luck on your journey! xx
  • cheryle2070
    Options
    im new ! ive got around 3 and a half stone to say good bye to and i started yesturday and for the first time ever i dont feel any pressure to lose the weight ( normally a panic sets in that im going to fail from day one) im just going to get on with it :) feel free to add me , the more the merrier
  • missvaleria86
    missvaleria86 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new also and certainly not an expert. I just wanted to say that you should aim to eat your minimum calorie intake and if you happen to exceed that , its ok. Just make sure that you exercise enough to take the extra calories off. 700 everyday is definitely not enough calories though. Good luck! =)
  • Ajmead
    Ajmead Posts: 56
    Options
    Hi, welcome feel free to add me x
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP I sent you a friend request.
  • BrittanyKxo
    Options
    Gotcha! I just honestly wasn't sure if it was based off of total calories consumed, or my net :) I accepted you all that added me!
  • CoffeeJunkieMann
    CoffeeJunkieMann Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • amonroe1343
    amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I added you :) I would aim for your net calories to be what they are giving you since that is assuming you are doing no exercise. I don't usually eat all of my exercise calories back but I do eat most of them back and lost 5 lbs the first week. Good luck :)
  • a_stone_girl_dances
    a_stone_girl_dances Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hey yeah, I agree w/the other folks. Netting at least 1200 is best. Other than any health concerns (no expert either, so won't elaborate) but you'd ideally want a "life change" type diet. Lowering calories might cause quick lose & quick gain and/or not keeping it up after you lose the weight. Best of luck to you!
  • 92_sweetheart
    92_sweetheart Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Netting 700 calories is defiantly not good at all. Your body need at least 500 just for daily every day functions. Eating under 1200 will slow your metabolism down thus causing you not to lose weight. Like I always say if you feel like you haven't got enough calories in for that day through in a Protein drink or two. But add me for support.
  • jbosick80
    jbosick80 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hello and I hope you enjoy your stay here.
  • G00DKARMA
    Options
    Hello Welcome! I will add you. We can do this together!
  • ProjFit
    ProjFit Posts: 143
    Options
    Welcome!.. My name is Christina, Im looking to lose a total off 100lbs by the time im done. I have a ton more to go so im always looking to add new friends. You have a good daily calorie target, but try to have your net be no less than 1200. I know sometimes that can be difficult but it truly is the healthiest way to lose.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    You do want to net your calorie goal, not 700. However. Many people have found that MFP's estimated calories burned are very high. I only eat back 50% of my exercise calories. So if say I exercised and MFP says I burned 600 calories I would eat only eat 300 of those back. If my goal were 1200 (it's much higher than that though) then I would have eaten 1500 calories, but MFP would say my net is 900 even though it's closer to 1200. If that makes sense..... It's a lot easier when you have a HRM so you know how much you burned.