TMI topic for women (It's about the monthly so guys beware)

Options
No it's not one of those "I gained x amount of weight is this normal" kind of threads, I know all that lol.

Does working out really help with cramping? I started today, and I feel really gross, I feel sick and am doubled over in pain even after midol. Midol is making me sleepy. I have to work tonight and I'll be on my feet all day so I have got to figure something out to relive this pain.

Replies

• SarahSosi
    SarahSosi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    honey just rest today! tomorrow or after go back to your work out! you don't want to get your self sick don't you? just have a rest and it will b ok tomorrow .. feel better hun xoxoxo
  • scarlet369
    scarlet369 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes working out really helps with cramping, at least it has for me, but I wouldnt do something too tough, just a light workout with lots of stretching
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hello, YES YES YES YES YES cant say yes enough how much relief working out (even if I just walk) does during my time of the month.. I have no clue why it helps but it does for me! :flowerforyou:
  • amazing_shrinking_woman
    Options
    I don't know about working out, but if you can fit it into your calories a small cup of grape juice always helps me. Something about the grapes and how they improve the blood circulation. Me and my sister both use this and it helps us.
  • KinzieElise
    KinzieElise Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Interesting fact on the grape juice. I've always heard that moving in general helps with cramps and (it's my time of the month too) the other day I forced myself to workout even though I had cramps and was exhausted...I actually felt better and all my workout consists of is about 20 minutes of Wii Just Dance 2 :)
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    i always feel better when working out during that time.....i just pop a few aleve and i am ready to go.
  • TallCurvyMuscles
    Options
    orgasms are better for cramps
  • mommamisty823
    Options
    working out helps with cramping for me, but I don't do anything too crazy, mostly pilates, or yoga during that time.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    It totally does. I used to get cramps so bad I would be stuck in bed because it hurt too much to stand, but slowly adding work outs in when i could has completely dissipated them. My workouts and activity level don't change at all that time in of the month. I find it also does help with the bloating and all around BLAH feeling as well.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    during my time I take about 800 mg of motrin wait for it to kick in and then exercise.

It does seem to help.

Also orgasms/sex help with them too :D
  • poetgurl2005
    Options
    orgasms are better for cramps

This sounds like something my husband would say. Made me giggle. Sex can be really fun during your time of the month. I have never ending periods (28 days), and sometimes you just don't care if you're bleeding.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    It varies by person. I am one of those that it helps, minus my last period where I was sick the entire day. I say, try it. If it helps, great... if it doesn't help, rest up.

Easy peasy.
  • trich33702
    trich33702 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I find that it really helps with cramping, my mood, and back aches. I take it easy and just focus on moving and stretching, so it's worth a try to do something light.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I'll do some yoga. The orgasm thing lol, funny. Had my share last night before all this and I think it brought on TOM, I thought I had a few more days.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    honey just rest today! tomorrow or after go back to your work out! you don't want to get your self sick don't you? just have a rest and it will b ok tomorrow .. feel better hun xoxoxo
    Absolutely agree.
    Nice hot shower.
    Rest! Just mentally and physically rest.
    If you are regular, reasonably, just plan on a day or two of rest at this time.

You might benefit from taking Evening Primrose Oil...essential fatty acids.
    They are supposed to be good for the female system
    http://www.homeremediesweb.com/evening-primrose-oil-health-benefits.php
    I just take the oil a couple of times per week.
    I've never had a problem with cramps, except if I try to go running...that gives me labor contractions, HELLO!
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    It totally does. I used to get cramps so bad I would be stuck in bed because it hurt too much to stand, but slowly adding work outs in when i could has completely dissipated them. My workouts and activity level don't change at all that time in of the month. I find it also does help with the bloating and all around BLAH feeling as well.

This. Here is the reason. When you workout your body releases a hormone that is a natural pain killer. Especially when it comes to muscles (which is why the monthly cramping), it helps to ease the pain. You may get more "flow" the harder you push, so be prepped for that... but as for the pain... it will ease it and make it tolerable :) Working out is great... sucks to get going during that time, but SOOO worth it when done!
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    It sure seems to for me anyway. I don't know if its endorphin related or just stretching of the muscles to loosen them, but I'm sure glad it gets the job done so I just power through most times. Other times like when its excessively heavy I'll take time off from heavy exercise and just stick with a short walk or just rest depending on the situation though. You take care and hope you're feeling better soon!
  • vanishonthebow
    vanishonthebow Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have always worked out as normal during my time of the month and it ALWAYS helps. When you exercise and move then you're aiding the process, aren't you? I just feel like I don't have to cramp as much because I've exercised so much of it out.

I don't think resting/hot showers/taking it easy is going to make you feel any better. It's hard at first because you do feel gross and bad and you don't want to work out, but take a couple pills of some painkiller (take one more than it recommends, it won't kill you; during that time of the month even with exercise there is one day where i need four ibuprofen where it only recommends two) and don't be afraid to work out. It definitely helps relieve the pain!