Diet Coke

Options

Replies

• CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Last weekend I decided to splurge a bit and get a diet coke with my lunch and I checked the ingredients and the only I saw was that it was sodium. Not the best but better than others, I suppose. Anywho, I told my husband how excited I was that my mouth was having a party because I got something other than water and he got upset and said that Diet Coke is almost as bad if not worse than regular Coke because of the artificial sweetener in it. It's not an everyday thing but a fun little splurge on the weekend would be nice without feeling guilty about it or it possibly having negative effects on my body. What's your take?

My take is that the dosage levels at which aspartame can become problematic are so high that you'd have to make a diligent effort to try and cause problems.

Aspartame is composed of aspartic acid, phenylalanine (amino acids), and methanol (toxic at high doses).

You know what? Chicken and Fruit have all of the above, in higher doses than a can of diet soda.

If Aspartame gives you headaches, which apparently a very small % of the population has this issue, then don't drink it. Otherwise, enjoy it in moderation. You probably don't want to drink a case per day.

EDIT: Actually, a case per day would probably be fine in terms of dosage limits. Might not want to do that for other reasons though.
    Didn't even see this but I 100% agree with everything he's said. All of the research I've done was pretty much summarized in this quick rundown/suggestion.
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294
    Options
    I used to be a Diet Coke addict - in college I probably drank 4 or more per day. It destroyed the enamel on my teeth for sure, which left me wondering what all the acid may have been doing to my insides!! Regardless, it is a guilty pleasure of mine. I have cut back to one diet coke per day - still probably more than I should have, but I still think its better than drinking a full strength Coke or even a sports drink, both of which are loaded with sugar!! You need to allow yourself some treats to keep you from losing your will power - Diet Coke is a lesser evil than going off my diet and binging on cookies :)
    4 a day destroyed the enamel on your teeth? I drink about a case a day, no problems here.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    It had ill effect on me. And no I wasn't drinking gallons of it, just a can a day.

Terrible headaches, I bloated so much that when I quit I dropped 10lbs and it emptied my wallet.
  • MtTovey
    MtTovey Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yikes! No headaches here! But I dislike that canned stuff. The fountain variety is the only kind of Diet Coke I will drink. Helps on the wallet and not stocking my home with it. :smile:
  • hannahamay
    hannahamay Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    i personally hate the flavor of diet coke because it tastes like medicine. On the rare times that I do drink pop it's either and Izze Esque (which is a low calorie carbonated juice drink) or GuS Dry Cola (it's natural and has half the calories as regular pop, but tastes just the same). On occasion I'm sure it's fine to drink Diet Coke, but don't make it an every day thing, because drinking and eating unhealthy things on a daily basis is what got you to the point where you are now. Everything in moderation! :)
  • MtTovey
    Options
    [/quote]
    4 a day destroyed the enamel on your teeth? I drink about a case a day, no problems here.
    [/quote]

Gotta say, that is a *kitten* ton of soda.
  • MtTovey
    Options
    i personally hate the flavor of diet coke because it tastes like medicine. On the rare times that I do drink pop it's either and Izze Esque (which is a low calorie carbonated juice drink) or GuS Dry Cola (it's natural and has half the calories as regular pop, but tastes just the same). On occasion I'm sure it's fine to drink Diet Coke, but don't make it an every day thing, because drinking and eating unhealthy things on a daily basis is what got you to the point where you are now. Everything in moderation! :)

Agreed! That's why I said it wasn't an everyday thing but when I'm working all day and grab some Subway for lunch, it's a nice splurge after drinking plain water all day every other day of the week! And it fits into my daily reqs. :)
  • bethb03
    bethb03 Posts: 96
    Options
    I used to be a hardcore Pepsi drinker, was nothing to have at least 4 cans a day and possibly more, had tried to stop numerous times, went through the withdrawals and would go right back to the stuff. Since starting my journey with MFP I've successfully stopped the bad habit. I must admit I still dislike diet sodas, I've managed to switch to Pepsi Next which is 60 calories compared to 150 per can but the big improvement is I have maybe one can a week now and I make sure it's always within my calorie budget. I'm like so many others on here, I'm probably not going to totally eliminate any one thing.
  • dustyd48
    dustyd48 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have 1 coke zero a day, water, and than water with Ocean Spray Cran Packs to Go. I also drink coffee with creamer and green tea (without creamer). I hate plain water, and I especially hate coffee and tea without sugar. I've put the sugar in a cabinet where I want see it and keep telling myself not to go near the sugar. I sure would love a glass of sweet tea.
  • gmarosie1
    Options
    I love my diet coke. I only have a couple of week and yes, my mouth says thanks as well. Have you tried putting lemon, cucmbers or strawberries in your water. They all flavor it nicely.
  • ProjFit
    ProjFit Posts: 143
    Options
    Not only is diet pop worse than regular because of the artificial sweetner, its also higher in sodium as you said, and filled with aspartame. If its a once in a while thing then its not a biggie.. but if your considering having it everyday I would steer clear. If you want something other than water try crystal light.. youd be amazed how good they can be when you add lemon juice!
  • JuneBPrice
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    Yeah, I know. I drink a ton of whatever's in the house. If we don't have soda, I'll drink a few gallons of water a day. Not sure why, but it runs in my family. We also use ungodly amounts of salt, I think the two go hand in hand...
  • dustyd48
    dustyd48 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Does anyone use the Soda Stream? I've been thinking about purchasing it, I met a lady at WalMart and she really liked this item.
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I just hate the taste of carbonation.

I think it's ucky.

I've never been a pop drinker but I guess every once in a while isn't awful.
  • 1jlazymom
    1jlazymom Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It had ill effect on me. And no I wasn't drinking gallons of it, just a can a day.

Terrible headaches, I bloated so much that when I quit I dropped 10lbs and it emptied my wallet.

Lucky girl to lose like that!!!! congrats! I quit for 2 weeks I suffered horrible headaches but I kept on going and when I stepped on the scale it hadn't made a difference. I went to having 1 or 2 a day and water the rest of the day. I still think going without it is better but every now and then I just have to drink one. I agree on the cost since I cut back it has saved me money.
  • JuneBPrice
    Options
    Does anyone use the Soda Stream? I've been thinking about purchasing it, I met a lady at WalMart and she really liked this item.
    I thought about it, but I'm not entirely convinced that you're actually saving money. Apparently the carbon refills can be really pricey.
  • MtTovey
    Options
    I love my diet coke. I only have a couple of week and yes, my mouth says thanks as well. Have you tried putting lemon, cucmbers or strawberries in your water. They all flavor it nicely.

I haven't but I normally find that I don't need to. I don't mind plain water, I just state it that way to emphasize that that's exactly what I'm having. :smile:
  • MtTovey
    Options

[/quote]
    Yeah, I know. I drink a ton of whatever's in the house. If we don't have soda, I'll drink a few gallons of water a day. Not sure why, but it runs in my family. We also use ungodly amounts of salt, I think the two go hand in hand...
    [/quote]

Oh okay. lol I was just a wee bit shocked by it!
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Diet coke gives you wheat belly coke zero makes you ripped. That's my theroy still working on the details.
  • MtTovey
    Options
    Not only is diet pop worse than regular because of the artificial sweetner, its also higher in sodium as you said, and filled with aspartame. If its a once in a while thing then its not a biggie.. but if your considering having it everyday I would steer clear. If you want something other than water try crystal light.. youd be amazed how good they can be when you add lemon juice!

Curiously, Crystal Light also has aspartame in it. But like I stated, it's not an every day thing.