Fun and inexpensive fall and winter cardio?

Options
I just joined MFP 3 or 4 weeks ago, and although I've only lost a few pounds so far, I can definitely SEE the difference in my size. I attribute that to the fact that I've been exercising 3-6x/week. I have never been the kind of person who can just "work out", I have a short attention span and I can only do things that I actually enjoy that are also exercise. Because it is summer, I bought tags for the city pool (read: fairly cheap) and go swimming 3-6 days a week, usually riding my bike there to add a little more exercise. I am worried about what will happen to my workouts in fall and winter. In fall I can still ride my bike as long as the weather is okay, and I'm thinking about trying out for the roller derby team, but if I don't make it (or even if I do and practices are only a few times each week), I need a back up plan for exercise that I can enjoy. I can't afford any home workout equipment (and I don't have the space for it), gym membership (the only gyms are about 20 minutes away anyhow, and I can guarantee that will lead to me not going on work nights), so what should I do to stay on a roll when the weather gets cold?

Replies

• MikeKillroad
    Options
    I usually do P90X. The cardio, yoga, plyometrics, and kenpo workouts are pretty solid stuff. I have fun doing them and they really get me moving. Best part is that you would only need to purchase a yoga mat, the DVDs you can get off Ebay (or you know, find them on Youtube, download, etc). All of those work outs are more about cardio and flexibility rather than strength training. Tony Horton's commentary will be entertaining too because he's really, really cheesy.

If you have a Wii there's always the sports, wii fit, etc. I know that costs money but they have a lot of little entertaining workouts and at this point you can snatch used games and stuff on Ebay. Good part about it is that it will help with tracking weight loss along with MFP, which is pretty cool.

There's a TON of youtube videos on home workouts that require inexpensive equipment, or better yet, none at all. Stuff like push ups, sit ups, jump rope, bear crawls, yoga, interval training, etc. etc. You really don't need much to keep fit at home. The challenge and fun comes from logging your times or reps, and then comparing up the next time you work out.
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have a wii fit, but I stopped using it because it was verbally abusive and just made me feel bad about myself lol
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I plan to walk and run through the winter. There are workout DVDs, you could try. Also, if you have a little spare money, you could buy a trainer to put your bicycle on and ride while you watch television or whatever. Oh, and shoveling snow counts as exercise, lol!
  • ekburnet
    ekburnet Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Swimming is such a good way to workout. Is there an indoor pool close to you? If not, you might check out EBay and Craigs list for used equipment which looks like it might be fun. I found a glider for a great price and will be setting it up this weekend. I can pop in a DVD or CD and workout at the same time. Best of luck with whatever you find.
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty small living room and basically no storage space :(
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I think hiking is perfect for fall. It's free, and it really gets your heart rate up. Even though I can't stand the cold, I find it easy to hike in relatively cold weather thanks to layering. As for winter though, I'll be honest... I get bored too, and nothing indoors can keep me interested long enough to burn calories. I work out mostly spring through fall. :laugh:
  • anointedpromise
    anointedpromise Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Your local library probably has workout DVDs that you can borrow. That way you can try a variety of things, free (unless you incur late fees, lol). I have several DVD workouts of my own, including P90x and a few Jillian Michaels's DVDs, but from time to time I go to the library to find something different. My apartment has a 24 hour gym that I can use and I am a gradate student, so my University has a great facility for individual workouts and group fitness classes. My church does free group fitness classes a few times a week as well, so you may want to check out local churches.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    HIKING!!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Running.....
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I like running much better in the fall, winter and spring. Heat and humidity is teh debbil!
  • MikeKillroad
    Options
    I was going to say also (which other people covered) invest in some good boots and a coat and go on winter walks. It's not so bad if you're prepared. The best part about doing that in the cold is that your body works harder to burn calories and you're also using more of your muscles to walk through snow. I personally love Winter and it's good to get out during the dreary times and turn it into a positive experience (if I remember correctly though, you don't like Winter, to each their own).