Please HELP me with running!

Options
Hey peeps!

I am a keen cyclist and can easily knock out 100 miles on my trusty road bike but I need to very my training to include running but am awful at it :o(

Does anyone have any tips for a beginner runner please? I have a good general level of fitness but just need a plan to follow for my running :o)

All tips greatly received!

Thanks guys!

Jodie

Replies

• 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    If you have an ipod touch or an iphone they also have an awesome application that helps too.
  • lahlie
    lahlie Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Check out the Couch to 5K program. It is 9 week program that is for beginners wanting to "train" to run 5Ks and so forth. I am on week 2, and it isn't too bad.....of course with it being so cold, I am doing it on the treadmill, so outside is definitely gonna be different, but it is a start. Good luck.
  • maz165
    maz165 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hey Jodie-- there are several Couch-to-5K threads around these parts and information about the program on various websites and blogs if you just Google. It's a fairly easy-to-follow and reasonable training schedule to get you from zero running to 5K distance.

Since I had never been a runner in the past, I kind of did my own thing when I started out and went from there. Once I was comfortable doing a mile, I pushed it a little further. It's taken a little while to build distance, but the number one thing to remember when you're starting a running program is to listen to your body. It can be SO good for your muscles and bones, but it can also be detrimental if you're ignoring signs of stress on your joints and such.

If you're already biking, though, your legs are probably equipped to handle it! Definitely check out Couch-to-5K. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    You probably will be able to do more than the couch to 5k but I've heard that is a good program, I went from running to cycling and was doing 50 miles on the bike within a few weeks, running is more high impact though so it will probably more difficult when switching to running, I had a friend who did spin classes a lot and then started running and she did 10 miles within 3 weeks... I'm sure thats not the case for everyone but since you are in good cardio shape you should be able to do a lot, just start slow and don't increase more than 10% every week!

~Leash :heart:
  • iusticc
    Options
    Be sure to breathe. Oxygen is what keeps you going. Breathe through your nose and out your mouth. Start out with small goals and gradually increase as you get better.
  • GFKochik
    Options
    Go to the following website: www.halhigdon.com and click on Training Programs.
  • retrobaby
    retrobaby Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Hal Higdon's 8 week 10K training for Novice. Started today ran 2 miles in 30 minutes and I feel pretty good. Good luck!
  • melissahager
    Options
    I just started the Couch to 5K that several others have mentioned. I am loving it. Just did day two of week one and it's really a great plan. In addition, there is a thread titled: New C25 K for the New Year. Most everyone is beginners or just starting back on the program and everyone is in the first few day of it. Join us!
    Melissa
  • GoRunDad
    GoRunDad Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon is good. Jeff Galloway is a bit more focused on beginners. He writes a section for Runnersworld as well. http://www.jeffgalloway.com/ . Speaking of RW, they run pieces every month on this topic. Web site is decent as well.
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to try this as well. I have tried for the past year to get to 5k but between asthma and serious knee problems, one of them ALWAYS gets in my way. But my goal for this summer is to at least run a 5k, however, I would really like to do a half marathon if my body cooperates. Anyone have any suggestions for avoiding knee problems before they get bad or helping them? I haven't ran in a couple months now because it hurts my knees too badly that I had to stop because I could barely even walk around my house afterwards. So at the moment, I am not having knee problems at all! :) ...But also not running :/ I have heard that using knee braces and taking glucosamine could help so I am going to try that, but I am definitely looking for any additional ideas!
  • jodieleigh
    Options
    Aw thanks for all of your tips they are greatly appreciated!

The fact that people actually bother to reply restores my faith in humankind!

I will let you know how I get on :)

Thanks again xx
  • ambervargo
    ambervargo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    samb - I wear a knee strap on the knee that bothers me and I have never had a problem since the day I decided to buy it. I first went to physical therapy because I thought some older injuries were the problem and after all that, the knee strap did better than anything they showed me. I wore it in a half marathon and was able to complete it but I ran a mile, then walked a mile for most of it. It was my first attempt at running so I started with C25K and then joined Team in Training.

Good Luck!
  • ambervargo
    ambervargo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My other advice is get the best shoes for your type of foot. I went to a running shop where they video you and the right shoes made a big, big difference for me.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Hey peeps!

I am a keen cyclist and can easily knock out 100 miles on my trusty road bike but I need to very my training to include running but am awful at it :o(

Does anyone have any tips for a beginner runner please? I have a good general level of fitness but just need a plan to follow for my running :o)

All tips greatly received!

Thanks guys!

Jodie

I used to be a pretty avid Mt Biker, and can say running definatly takes a different type of fitness level.

I did C25K last fall, and I am currently in Week 3 of "Gateway to 8K" to extend my distance and increase speed.
  • GoRunDad
    GoRunDad Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Stretch correctly. I find active stretching is the best.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Stretch correctly. I find active stretching is the best.

Exactly what do you mean by "active" stretching? Ballistic stretching? Like bouncing while you hold your stretch?

I'm a couch25K-er as well. I'm on my second week and I think it's awesome program. VERY do-able for someone who has never been a runner like moi!
  • Bjstarr2
    Options
    Hi All, just browsed through the sites and the topic "Please HELP me with running!" caught my attention. I'm struggling to resume running/jogging after some time off to nurse my plantar fasciatis (sp?). I was actually up to running 4 miles, but the injury put my on the couch for the last 4 months. I've always wanted to run a half marathon and would like to do it this summer, but I can't seem to get motivated enough to start training. Like some of the comments I've read on the thread, I have all the excuses that get in the way: it's too cold in the morning (40 degrees), don't want to go out in the dark (morning or night), can't drag myself out the bed at 5:30 in the morning and I'm too tired to go at the end of the day; and how about this...my dog slows me down halfway through the run.:noway: I can find all the excuses not to get out there and "Just Do It", and I logically know all the reasons to get started...I just can't seem to get motivated enough to JUST DO IT...help me out somebody.:sad:
  • MulattoFox
    Options
    I'm no fitness expert.. But can't do regular running on the streets or treadmills. I'm a big girl (for now) and it KILLS my hips. But I love love love those elliptical riders. We have one at work and at the apartment complex. Great way to run.. It's kinda half bike half running? :happy:
  • biffy107
    Options
    I am working on getting back in the swing of things.It has taken me a few day to mentialy get going. I did the elip. and relize how quickly i lost all my strenth and cardio i had built up. .But i would like to ask you bikers how do you ride your bikes without killing your butt. PARDEN MY FRENCH haha