Was told the plain honest truth yesterday !!

Options
So yesterday I had an appointment with my new Cardiologist because of some blood pressure issues ( had to change meds because of "insurance rules" and had side effects ) so to just lay it all out these are my issues - High Blood Pressure, Type 2 Diabetes, Cholesterol (214), Sleep Apnea and Fibromyalgia. I currently weigh 265 @ 5"7 and I am 47 years old. I work in the medical field ( x-ray tech) and believe it or not going to school to be a Nutritionist ! So my exam came out normal and he decided to switch me back to the medication I was on before and switched another one out.....but bottom line he told me I just really need to get my act together and lose the weight because all my problems can be eliminated by losing th :smile: :smile: e 100 lbs I need to lose. Now I have no problem with the way he layed out the truth - would rather hear it that way instead of someone being nice about it and not just getting to the point. Now trust me I heard all this before and in the back of my mind I knew this is what he was going to say but for some reason the way he layed it all out really made an impact and I started to look at the seriousness of the issues I have - But now it all seems VERY overwhelming and I don't know where to start because of course I want it all fixed yesterday LOL . He told me to break it all down and take it in baby steps but where do I start first - nutrition or exercise or a little of both? I don't know where to start.......I don't eat red meat or fried foods and I would like to get back to being a vegetarian again because that was when I was the healthiest ( 20 years ago - and a lot more time than I have now) He asked me when I was the healhiest and it was back then - I have just become lazy and lost a lot of self confidence in myself throughout the years.. I always look at everything in the big picture but I need suggestion on how to break it down into workable mini goals - my next appointment is in late October and I would like it not to be a waste of an appoinment. I am very open to suggestions since my mind is very overwhelmed at the moment - thanks for listening

Replies

• hawaii86442
    Options
    You will feel so much better with weight loss. I am sorry your doctor wasn't very tactful. Try walking a bit around the block or during your lunch break and I will listen if you need someone.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I agree with your doctor, take it slow. If I were you, I'd start out by logging for a few days without worrying about meeting any goals, just to see how many calories, how much fat, etc, you are consuming on your average day. Then set your MFP goal to lose 2 lbs per week, and try to stick within the calories they give you. Personally, I would not worry too much about sticking to any particular diet at first, I would just reduce calories and start trying to get active. Maybe take a 30 minute walk after dinner every night or something. Best of luck, you can do this, just be realistic about your pace and your lifestyle and don't try to change too much all at once! Slow and steady :)
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Work on diet first. You can exercise til you drop but if you don't change your diet, you'll get nowhere. It's 80% food, 20% exercise (Can't remember where I heard that)
    Good luck, you can do it!
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I would also start with the diet part. Log what you eat and then slowly start making changes. There is alot of wonderful help on here. Also add in walks occasionally, or something you really enjoy (hiking, swimming, tennis, rollerbladding). Every little bit helps and they claim it gets easier as you go. Good luck! We can do this!
  • ThatDarnZach
    ThatDarnZach Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You're in good hands, here. Begin with small diet changes. Once those become habit (and trust me, they will), change a little more. Slowly start adding more and more exercise. You'll be shocked just how quickly you'll start melting! Just don't put too much pressure on it because then the task becomes too immeasurable to conquer.
  • bsierras
    bsierras Posts: 56
    Options
    You're in good hands, here. Begin with small diet changes. Once those become habit (and trust me, they will), change a little more. Slowly start adding more and more exercise. You'll be shocked just how quickly you'll start melting! Just don't put too much pressure on it because then the task becomes too immeasurable to conquer.

I agree! I am fairly new to this journey. But what everyone is saying sounds good to me. Most definitely make it a lifestyle change. It is not a diet, you can have the things you like in moderation. I have found this site so inspiring and helpful. Maybe add some friends to help support you and keep you motivated. Feel free to add me!! Hang in there, take it day to day, read some of the success stories and how they did it. good luck to you
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

What I really love about MFP is that it breaks it down into little goals for you. Put in the numbers. Set it for what you want to lose (100 pounds). Set an initial weight loss goal (at your weight you might be able to do 2 pounds a week, but if that seems a lot, go for 1 or 1.5).

THEN RECORD EVERYTHING EVERY DAY AND HIT YOUR CALORIE GOALS.

It's one day at a time. If you go over today, exercise a little to make it up. Or tomorrow is new day.

In terms of change . . .

The second thing I love about MFP is that recording everything taught me where my extra calories were coming from. Turns out some things were more fattening than I knew and some less. I always ate ' clean'. But I could just drop a couple things from my diet - and leave all the things I love (and eat the others in moderation) and hit my goal.

I wouldn't have known that without logging everything in MFP.

That's where I would start.
  • awilcox1014
    Options
    Wow - you are nearly the same as I am statistically - I started back one month ago at 240/47/5'7''. I do not thankfully have the health issue - I am one of those that fit into the fit/fat category - I have always stayed somewhat active despite my weight. I just have created terrible habits with food.

I decided I needed an immediate goal physically so I signed up a with a friend to run a 10K in November. Gives me something tangible to strive for and I like that. I am this week up to 3.5 miles on my runs and I am now doing something every morning. it was hateful the first 10 days. Or perhaps I was hateful about it. But at the very least, I take my two small dogs on a walk for a mile, mile and a half. Most days it is that plus whatever I decide to do = running 3 days a week - program from internet - couch potato to 10K. And Biking 2 Days a week. I day rest (except dog walk) and 1 day of something else.

The thing about adding exercise right away is that since you get to eat back some of your exercise calories - or all of them depending on whose theory you follow or how your own body reacts, it made the making changes of my diet much easier and much less hateful. I am shooting for 2 pounds a week - and first 4 weeks averaged about 1.3. All because it took me a couple of weeks to wean myself off of fast food, and other bad habits like snacking in my car or at my desk at work. So for what it is worth - just a different perspective on perhaps doing exercise right away to make the diet shifts not as extreme and hateful! Good luck!
  • natachan
    natachan Posts: 149
    Options
    my tips:

Go slow. Seriously, GO SLOW. I started losing weight back in November at 213 lbs, joined MFP about a month or so later at 198, am now at 168. GO SLOW. This will give your body time to adjust to any changes you are making. It will also keep you from getting baggy skin flaps, but we won't discuss that.

Don't cut out the foods you like entirely. Seriously, I eat chocolate, McDonalds, tons of red meat, you name the "bad foods" and I probably have had some. Just have them in moderation. I eat fast food MAYBE once a month, and limit my chocolate so I'm still within my limits. Just keep your calories within your goals and you'll be fine. You also won't feel like you are depriving yourself as much.

To go exactly contrary to what I said above, there are certain foods I try to avoid or will not touch at all. My philosophy is that if I can't identify the plant or animal the food came from, I don't eat it. I would also try to avoid Trans fats entirely. Try to eliminate all sodas if you can, or at the very least go to diet. If you crave sweet, there are many sweet teas that are low cal and will give you the caffeine from sodas (I don't do coffee, it doesn't agree with my stomach).

As to exercise, you can wait until you have lost some weight. I found it challenging to exercise at first, since the extra weight put added stress on my joints. As I've gotten lighter I've started being able to jog or hike more without my knees and ankles hurting like crazy.
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Well at least your doctor was honest and up front. None of us really like hearing the truth. You have taken the first steps by logging on this site. There is a lot of help in the form of the food database and people willing to help each other and other information, tips
    and new ideas.

I have a bad heart I'm 53, no amount of dieting will fix my heart but at least I will keep things moving in the right direction. Every year for the last 3 years I was gaining another 10 lbs. I take lots of heart medication and some of it makes it very difficult to lose weight. I had to change my thinking. Diet and food are important but exercise for me keeps me aware of my body and it has kept me going when the scale hasn't budged. i actually feel better mentally when I walk.

Back in early June i decided to log on and give this a whirl and see where it took me. I agree starting out with baby steps and making changes gradually will most likely help ease you into your new lifestyle. I make sure I log my food every day and it is super easy with the database available her on MFP. I also mad a promise to myself that come hell or high water I would make it a priority to walk 5 out of 7 days a week even if I could only complete 15 minutes. The other thing I committed to was drinking the minimum 8 -10 glasses of water per day. I'm happy to say that I am doing well.

This is life change and it can't happen overnight, and that is very frustrating because we all want results yesterday. Please just be patient with yourself, and make small changes. Log the food despite what you eat. BABY STEPS, SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE...

You can do this!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    So yesterday I had an appointment with my new Cardiologist because of some blood pressure issues ( had to change meds because of "insurance rules" and had side effects ) so to just lay it all out these are my issues - High Blood Pressure, Type 2 Diabetes, Cholesterol (214), Sleep Apnea and Fibromyalgia. I currently weigh 265 @ 5"7 and I am 47 years old. I work in the medical field ( x-ray tech) and believe it or not going to school to be a Nutritionist ! So my exam came out normal and he decided to switch me back to the medication I was on before and switched another one out.....but bottom line he told me I just really need to get my act together and lose the weight because all my problems can be eliminated by losing th :smile: :smile: e 100 lbs I need to lose. Now I have no problem with the way he layed out the truth - would rather hear it that way instead of someone being nice about it and not just getting to the point. Now trust me I heard all this before and in the back of my mind I knew this is what he was going to say but for some reason the way he layed it all out really made an impact and I started to look at the seriousness of the issues I have - But now it all seems VERY overwhelming and I don't know where to start because of course I want it all fixed yesterday LOL . He told me to break it all down and take it in baby steps but where do I start first - nutrition or exercise or a little of both? I don't know where to start.......I don't eat red meat or fried foods and I would like to get back to being a vegetarian again because that was when I was the healthiest ( 20 years ago - and a lot more time than I have now) He asked me when I was the healhiest and it was back then - I have just become lazy and lost a lot of self confidence in myself throughout the years.. I always look at everything in the big picture but I need suggestion on how to break it down into workable mini goals - my next appointment is in late October and I would like it not to be a waste of an appoinment. I am very open to suggestions since my mind is very overwhelmed at the moment - thanks for listening

Take a good look at the way you eat. Start by keeping a food diary. You don't eat red meat or fried foods, what do you eat that has contributed to the weight. Do you just constantly overeat? Just see where you think you can make changes.
  • HisPixie
    HisPixie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Ack, this didn't post right. Let me try again.
  • HisPixie
    HisPixie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I agree with your doctor, take it slow. If I were you, I'd start out by logging for a few days without worrying about meeting any goals, just to see how many calories, how much fat, etc, you are consuming on your average day. Then set your MFP goal to lose 2 lbs per week, and try to stick within the calories they give you. Personally, I would not worry too much about sticking to any particular diet at first, I would just reduce calories and start trying to get active. Maybe take a 30 minute walk after dinner every night or something. Best of luck, you can do this, just be realistic about your pace and your lifestyle and don't try to change too much all at once! Slow and steady :)

Good, solid advice! I second this!

(ICU Nurse, now Hospice Nurse...and I've seen the terrible results of obesity.)
  • TexasSunny
    TexasSunny Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    One helpful tip on another post is....

Eat normally for one week and log every bite honestly.

That way you will see where your fats are coming in, or what foods you typically eat that are pretty high in calories...

After that.... you should be able to figure out what to cut back on, and what to add in (veggies and water!!!!)

Good Luck!
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Have you look into a plant base diet. You can reverse most of the illnesses you are battling (High Blood Pressure, Type 2 Diabetes, Cholesterol) and it will help with the others. I made the switch and reversed my cholesterol and high blood pressure. Sorry if he was too blut but you may look back at it and thank him for saving your life.

Here are some good resources.

Cook Books
    Happy Herbivore - Lindsy Nixion

Books

Neal Barnard MD

- Dr. Neal Barnard’s Program for Reversing Diabetes

- Breaking the Food Seduction

- 21 Day Weight-loss Kick start

Colin Campbell

- The China Study

Caldwell Esselstyn

- Prevent & Reverse Heart Disease

Rip Esselstyn

- The Engine 2 Diet

Doug Lisle

- The Pleasure Trap

John McDougall MD

- Dr. McDougall’s Digestive Tune‐Up

- The McDougall Quick & Easy Cookbook

- Dr. McDougall’s Total Health Solution for the 21st Century DVD

- The McDougall Program: Twelve Days to Dynamic Health

- The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss

- The New McDougall Cookbook

- The Starch Solution

DVDs

Neal Barnard MD

- Tackling Diabetes DVD

- Kick Start Your Health DVD

Caldwell Esselstyn

- Prevent & Reverse Heart Disease

Rip Esselstyn

- Forks Over Knives Presents The Engine 2 Kitchen Rescue

Michael Klaper

- Digestion Made Easy

Douglas Lisle

- The Continuum of Evil

- Losing weight without losing your mind

- The Pleasure Trap

John McDougall MD

- Dr. McDougall’s Total Health Solution for the 21st Century DVD

- McDougall Made Easy & Irresistible

- Dr. McDougall’s Money-Saving Medical Advice

- Dr. McDougall's Common Sense Nutrition

- McDougall Made Irresistible

- Dr. McDougall Disputes Major Medical Treatments

- McDougall Made Easy

- McDougall's Medicine

Jeff Novick

- Lighten Up

- Calorie Density

- Should I Eat That

- From Oil To Nuts

- Nuts & Health

- Fast Food Vol 1 The Basics

- Fast Food Vol 2 Burgers & Fries

Movies/Documentaries

- Forks Over Knives

- Processed People

Immersions and Programs

- The McDougall 3, 5 & 10 Day Programs

- Dr Esselstyn - 5-hour intensive counseling seminar at the Cleveland Clinic Wellness Institute

- Farms To Forks Weekend Immersions

Online Course

- E Cornel Plant Based Nutrition Course
  • noreen2012
    Options
    Wow thank you EVERYONE for your responses it was greatly appreciated.....

1. I have logged in for now 2 weeks everyday ( a mircle for me ) and I have noticed that I like bagels LOL but never realized how many calories there was in one I was more consumed about the carbs SO they are now just going to be an occasional treat.

2. I honestly appreciated the Cardiologist being blunt with me because now I am thinking before I eat and I am paying more attention to myself.

3. Yes this time I am going to take it slow and steady - will need a lot of patience ! but I now realize this has been my problem in the past and it has just become a habit to just give in to the wrong foods ect.

4. I am going to research all the books that everyone suggested to get menu ideas and lifestyle changes

5. I am aiming for 4-6 pounds a month and 5 days a week exercise

Once again thank you for your responses
  • noreen2012
    Options
    Wow thank you EVERYONE for your responses it was greatly appreciated.....

1. I have logged in for now 2 weeks everyday ( a mircle for me ) and I have noticed that I like bagels LOL but never realized how many calories there was in one I was more consumed about the carbs SO they are now just going to be an occasional treat.

2. I honestly appreciated the Cardiologist being blunt with me because now I am thinking before I eat and I am paying more attention to myself.

3. Yes this time I am going to take it slow and steady - will need a lot of patience ! but I now realize this has been my problem in the past and it has just become a habit to just give in to the wrong foods ect.

4. I am going to research all the books that everyone suggested to get menu ideas and lifestyle changes

5. I am aiming for 4-6 pounds a month and 5 days a week exercise

Once again thank you for your responses
  • SuziQueue
    SuziQueue Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Good for you for starting the journey! I was overwhelmed too and luckily my doctor sent me to a dietitian and she has made all the difference for me. She makes suggestions and I have to check in with her and weigh in every 2 weeks, so the accountability is there too. Each visit we go over what's happening with me, and we renew our strategy. She started me with diet first, and considering how limited you are on time I would recommend that's where you start as well. Find a routine that works for you, and keep healthy snacks handy so you don't come into the house "starving" and eat badly.

Best of luck to you! Feel free to friend me :flowerforyou:
  • xdieselx
    xdieselx Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    One more advice for you Noreen, try to it 5 small meals a day (breakfast, am snack, lunch, pm snack, dinner). Just eating more often will keep your metabolism running all day long burning calories to break that food you have been eating and it those extra calories burned will help with the weight loss. From january 1st to March 1st, i did no exercise at all and just started eating 5 meals a day and i was eating healthy (cheating once a week with dessert) and i had lost 8 lbs just doing that. Now i lost more but thats because i included exercise since then but as other people said, start SLOW so by doing this it will hlep you :)
  • yocando
    yocando Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I didn't check- if you haven't yet, create a profile and be committed to this site. That's a great first step.
    Incrementally, add an exercise regimen that works for where you are at today.... and that you at least somewhat enjoy and can commit to.
    Food and diet changes can also be implemented incrementally.
    And the breaking it down into steps is excellent advise.
    Click in with some folks who are where you are- that you can friend with and message and exchange support.
    Seek out alternate diet options that are healthy- with you having been vegetarian in the past, it will be easier for you.
    There are also lots of online options today to purchase quality food.

Be kind to yourself... clearly, many of us struggle with this issue...how comforting is that? I love that about this site.

Good luck to you!