ANy nursing students or medical professionals?

Options
2»

Replies

• sunraze
    sunraze Posts: 115
    Options
    I'm a nurse for a long time. Nursing is one of those jobs that is tough to keep a regular exercise program---but if you do it will cut down on job stress---keep you from eating the hideous munchies everyone brings in and helps you to sleep all the weird hours you may work. Hang in there. Watch what you eat---alcohol, while certainly fun, will pack on the pounds. Try to limit it. Add me if you like!
    Amy
  • mandafay923
    mandafay923 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Graduated with my ADN in May and back in classes for my BSN in 23 days. I lost weight through most of the program until the second to last semester when my husband and I separated and I gained 15 pounds. I yo-yo'd those pounds until right after graduation when I made exercising a priority.

It can be rough, but I agree.... Try to make time to step away from the studying for a few minutes and get some activity in. Also, some of us got in the habit of taking the stairs whenever we could at the hospitals instead of using elevators, all those steps add up. If you have access to fitness room at school, take advantage of it!

Good luck!!!!
  • sana66
    sana66 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm a dental student n OMG during revision I put on Soo much weight :(
  • jamisonexph
    Options
    Just finished nursing school in Dec. I did and accelerated second degree program that took 15 months to get my degree. I was a fitness instructor before starting nursing school and had to quit while in nursing to keep up with the demands of school. I gained about 8 pounds while in school and really changed my body shape. I was lucky to get in two workouts a week. I can honestly say though after being a nurse for 8 months I am back to my starting weight however I have still not found a workout schedule that is perfect. I am working on that. I drive an hour to work and work 12 hour days so it is challenging. Keep your head up, even if you gain a little weight, you gain so much more once you become a NURSE!!!!
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    School nurse during Sept- June. Home health care nurse during the summer. Working 3-11 tonight.

I gained alot of weight too....when I was working at the hospital and doctors offices...

all the goodies, the pharm reps taking us out to dinner. UGH.

I lost weight getting the school nurse job. School cafeteria lunches are pretty unappetizing! plus the hours are great. Home health care..I got to be on my toes.( i work with vent dependent patients in their homes). No taking snack breaks for me. No coworkers bringing in goodies. No pharm reps inviting me to a restaurant to talk up their medications. It's actually better for my weight to work Home health care.

(I'm also a part-time personal trainer so that helps!)
  • samcorvus
    samcorvus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm an EMT so blue collar medical. School is a killer. I gained fifty pounds when earning my bachelors. The good news is if it went on it'll come off. Just stick with it. Also it'd probably be a good idea to cut the alcohol. It's really a bad sugar.
  • CoffeeJunkieMann
    CoffeeJunkieMann Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse for a long time. Nursing is one of those jobs that is tough to keep a regular exercise program---but if you do it will cut down on job stress---keep you from eating the hideous munchies everyone brings in and helps you to sleep all the weird hours you may work. Hang in there. Watch what you eat---alcohol, while certainly fun, will pack on the pounds. Try to limit it. Add me if you like!
    Amy
    Agreed, Any healthcare job for that matter.
    I am not a nurse, But have been in the EMS field for a long time, and now dispatch for a Childrens Hospital.
    Between sitting at a desk and like you said, all the munchie people bring in, ins easy to gain.
  • 1always1
    Options
    I'm an almost qualified Midwifery student here in the UK! I gained my weight at university and I want to start my career as healthy as I can :) feel free to add me.
  • Aimee33T
    Options
    I would love to say I could do that but I don't smoke cigarettes anymore. I quit a couple years ago.
  • katevicks
    katevicks Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Say no to chocolate!!!! I'm a Paediatric Nurse so all the kiddies and their families insist on giving us nurses a constant supply of chocolate!! i bring in a lot of fruit and eat that instead :)
  • AllyLuna
    AllyLuna Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm a tele monitor tech and a CNA and in school to become an echo tech. May not be in nursing school but I understand your problem. The best solution I've found is that I've portioned out my meals and eat only fruits and veggies in between main meals. You know how there are TONS of pockets on your scubs? Make ONE a food pocket, put a little zip lock baggie (my portion sizes are a cup or just under) of carrots, grapes, blueberries, cucumber slices, or even a crumbled protein/granola bar and snack on it throughout the hours. Or, if you use one of those clipboards that you can store papers inside of, put the baggie in there and snack while charting or taking notes if you're worried about germs. ALWAYS wash your hand thoroughly. This way of eating will also help you to lose weight because your hunger is kept at bay and you're burning the calories at about the same rate as you're eating them so you're not as likely storing it as fat.

The only other problem is actually working out. Everyone's lifestyle is different and time management is the most difficult thing. Most people that I know who have kids and hectic lives either workout early in the morning before the kids get up or if they are at daycare or with a babysitter they have them stay there for an extra 1-1.5hrs while they get their workout in. Or if you have the stuff to do it at home you can with pilates (blogilates.com is my favorite!), Jullian Michaels dvds, resistance bands and pullup bar, P90x, Insanity, or something like that. I hope this helps, and good luck!!
  • K_Hilscher
    Options
    I'm a newly graduated nurse and I found once I started working 12 hour shifts the best way for me to keep on track was to bring a lot of healthy food options, more than you think you'll eat. That way you are not going to be stuck eating things people bring in or going to hospital food courts. If you are in a busy environment you may always be on your feet and will be hungrier than you think and may not finish when you think you will so it's always good to have extra so you don't get overly hungry and over eat junk food. Also bring a big water bottle hospitals are always really dry.
  • Katherine_Nelson
    Katherine_Nelson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    NURSING SCHOOL BUDDIES WHOOP WHOOP! i actually have started exersizing to prevent stress and keep my sanity through all this mess! i gained a lot of weight in prenursing school because of stress. at my school its super competitive to get in. just get active as much as possible and you should be okay! and pack healthy snacks like apples and cheese, cheese sticks, wheat thins, fruit, and such.
  • Aimee33T
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice that some of you have. It helps to hear that I am not alone in this battle of the bulge when it comes to a hectic schedule and stressfull testing. I guess the only thing that scares me is if I continue to gain weight and gain all the weight back that has taken me years to lose.
  • CoffeeJunkieMann
    CoffeeJunkieMann Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Enough People here to start our own hospital.
    Heathcare People feel free to add
  • dominicksmom
    dominicksmom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have 2 more semesters to go until I get my RN. I have gained a ton of weight these last 3 years. Its tough but worth it. Good luck! feel free to add me, Im kinda new to this site.
  • ProjFit
    ProjFit Posts: 143
    Options
    ahh YES!! !!!!!!
    I just had my first term exams and gained 3lbs back while studying for them.. holy stressful batman!
  • Kellyhughett
    Kellyhughett Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse and also gained about 20 pounds in school. They actually warned us on the first day that we would gain about that much and they were right!