need ideas for chicken

Options
2»

Replies

• emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If u are doing low carb high protein try this pork rinds crushed but use egg beater first to wet chicken then roll in the crushed pork rinds. Then bake the chicken. Yum and very high protein low, 0 carbs.

I never thought of this! Thanks for the idea, I'm looking forward to trying it!
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My family eats this pretty much every other night (for cost reasons, its the cheapest per pound and we are really tight). Our favorite is to just cook them on the george forman. Best thing we ever bough :) We pound them first (I recommend this no matter how you cook them. They cook evenly and quickly this way) and then they cook in about 6-7 minutes. We use a variety of seasonings, pretty much whatever we feel like a the time. Our standby is garlic powder, salt, pepper, and italian seasoning but we branch out into curry and other spices as well.

Our second favorite is to coat the chicken (I tend to slice them so they cook faster) in a mayo/cheese mixture. I then bake them. It creates a fake "breaded" coating that is very yummy. High fat, but low carb. It is a great "once in awhile" recipe we enjoy. I would give you an exact recipe, but we tend to "wing it". But google could give you thousands of options I'm sure.

My last suggestion is to always let your chicken rest. No matter how you cook it, if you leave it alone for 5-10 mins after you pull it off the heat... it will always taste better. The moisture and flavour will be locked in. If you cut it too early you lose all of this.
  • JWolf7911
    JWolf7911 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Stuffed Chicken breasts are a favorite of mine and you can do it so many ways!

1) stuff with fresh spinach (microwaved for 30 seconds) garlic, fat free sour cream, and diced tomatoes. You can also add sone low fat shredded cheese.

2) stuff with basil pesto, tomatoes, onions and low fat mozzarella cheese
  • shellyscott0804
    shellyscott0804 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas
  • kristyb1982
    kristyb1982 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    One easy thing that I like to do is take chicken breast and diced potatoes, with salt and pepper, and cover them with sliced peppers, any color. I just put the whole pan in the oven and bake it all until it is done. I usually cut the potatoes into hashbrown sized pieces so everything will be done at the same time. All the flavors mingle together and it's yummy!
  • lh1626
    lh1626 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Stuff with spinach

1 box spinach cooked
    Italian dressing
    Bread crumbs
    Basil....oregano....anything additional you want to add
    Stuff breasts
    Cook at 375

I usually cook chicken for an hour...I get paranoid with salmonella

Enjoy!
  • _Sara_A_
    _Sara_A_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Chicken Adobo I

Rated:
    Submitted By: roguejoker
    Photo By: gezellig-girl.com
    Prep Time: 15 Minutes
    Cook Time: 1 Hour
    Ready In: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
    Servings: 5
    "A whole chicken cut into pieces and simmered with a soy/vinegar sauce until infused with flavor."
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 cup distilled white vinegar
    4 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
    4 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 tablespoons salt
    1 (2 to 3 pound) whole chicken, cut into
    pieces
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. In a large pot, combine the water, vinegar, soy sauce, peppercorns, garlic and salt. Mix together, add chicken pieces and simmer over low heat (uncovered) until chicken is cooked through and tender (25 to 35 minutes).
    2. Remove chicken from pot and brown in oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
    3. Return chicken, with oil/juices, back to pot with reserved sauce. Cover and simmer over medium heat until desired amount of sauce is yielded.
    Nutrition
    Information
    Servings Per Recipe: 5
    Calories: 340
    Amount Per Serving
    Total Fat: 21.5g
    Cholesterol: 100mg
    Sodium: 3598mg
    Amount Per Serving
    Total Carbs: 2g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.2g
    Protein: 32.5g
  • Callean321
    Callean321 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    EDIT: You could also coat it lightly in some low cal. mayo, then coat with italian breadcrumbs. Put in a 350 deg. oven for around 40-50 mins. and you get THE most moist perfectly cooked chicken breasts ever. (I love this recipe. Use baggies for the coatings to make it easier to clean up!)
    [/quote]

I do something simular....pound the chicken out then dredge in a sauce made of 1/2 regular mustard and 1/2 dijon mustard then coat with Italian breadcrumbs and cook...I don't like mustard BUT I love this!!! Defintely going to try the mayo way!!!
  • jlynn6810
    jlynn6810 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I just made the Hungry Girl version of Chicken Cordon Blue and it was delicious!!
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=604500
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I make my own marinade and then grill it outside or on the George Foreman.

In a ziploc (or other brand with a good seal):
    Water
    A little oil (canola or olive usually)
    Something acidic (lemon/orange/lime juice, red wine vinegar, cider vinegar, wine, yogurt)
    Emulsifier (I use Maille brand mustard. Their whole grain one is my favorite. Honey works too)
    Spices of choice (anything from the cabinet or the garden: pepper flakes, garlic/onion powder, chives, minced garlic, shallots, Italian seasoning, fresh mint, etc)
    Salt & freshly ground pepper

I stick the chicken in the bag, shake it up and leave it in the fridge until I'm ready to cook it (not more than an hour or the marinade will start to break it down)