Cleaning as Exercise?

Options
So I do not mean to sound rude, or unmannerly. But who hear actually considers cleaning an exercise. I mean cool, your cleaning and losing calories, but I do not include it as an exercise. I believe that some people ( NOT MOST or ALL) use it as an excuse to not going to the gym. .I would love some positive or negative opinions on this. Very skeptical.

Replies

• AliciaNorris81
    AliciaNorris81 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    For me, it is not logged very often.If I am rearranging furniture, cleaning the bottom of the pool, scrubbing walls, etc. If it make me break a sweat for a significant amount of time, I will log it. However, I only log for HALF of the time...I don't want to cheat myself in the end. I could log it every day if I wanted to, I run a daycare...and if you have ever had to follow 5 kids and clean up after them all day long, you would understand the sweat in that. But, I just set my activity level to active.

I guess in the end of it all, I don't particularly care what people are logging...if they are losing and staying healthy then they are doing something right. Not my business.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I was a good wife and mother not so with cleaning. That said I do count it because it is not part of my daily routine.
  • conkle23
    conkle23 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    And I can totally understand that. But I think some people are using it as an excuse or to get out of something. Not saying you ladies. But I know some guys that do it too.
  • crafterpaula
    crafterpaula Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    on the days i dont exersize i use my cleaning or gardening as my exersize I have a heart monator that i put on and it tracks how many cals i burn and the time and it works I not say you should 'nt exersize but its a good suppalment !:devil:
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    If I don't feel like exercising, then I don't exercise, and I don't use something else in its place.

As a general rule I don't log routine cleaning as exercise. But if I know I'm going to do something above and beyond the norm (like vacuuming every square inch of carpeting in my 2000+sq ft 4-bedroom 2-story house, including the stairs and moving furniture AND vacuuming the furniture), then yeah, I will wear my HRM and log it.

What does it matter to anyone else what I log anyway? It's my fitness quest, not anyone else's. If I want to log brushing my teeth, I will.
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options
    I suppose if you are wearing an HRM and clean continuosly for a period of time your HRM will tell you if you burned calories or not so yes I say track it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Normal household duties? I don't log them.

The massive cleaning I do before the inlaws visit (we have seven cats and they're allergic, so I have to clean EVERYWHERE)... I log that. If I'm moving the couch and dining room table, taking down the curtains, climbing a ladder to get the ceiling fan blades, etc... that's work.

But when I first started, I logged everything. I was coming out of a major depression where I was very sedentary. I logged the walking I did while shopping. It motivated me to do more. "If I can burn XXX calories strolling the mall for an hour, what if I went for a long power walk for an hour?!" That motivated me to be a more active person, and switch my settings from sedentary to lightly active, so I no longer logged everything.

In short... if what someone is doing is working for them, don't knock it. If they're on here complaining they're not losing weight and they're logging 300 calories burned in 20 minutes of dusting the china cabinet... then you can say something.
  • eddieharrisjr
    eddieharrisjr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    From a personal trainer standpoint, I can attest that cleaning is very much an exercise. Truthfully as long as your body is in motion, you will be burning some amount of calories. Actually you burn sitting still. Obviously in both cases you wouldn't burn in the exact same manner or maybe even as much as you would doing concentrated exercise, cardio, etc. I do agree with you, however, some people do use it as an excuse. That being said, the only person that is hurt by that is the individual. Personally if I do a considerable amount of housework, washing the car, shoveling snow, etc, I do track it, but it is not the bulk of my workouts tracked. In the end, calories burned is calories burned, as weight lost is weight lost, the combination of working out, and eating healthy is what gets you there ultimately.
  • claire7090
    Options
    I count cleaning as an exercise, but I don't record the full time. Eg - if I am having my weekly big top to bottom clean of the house I would log 2 maybe 3 hours, I have actually cleaned for 5+ hours. I still go to the gym when the kids are at school ( can't go when they have holidays as I have no-one to care for them during the day).
    I have reached my target weight and lost 3 dress sizes and I am now successfully maintaining so I am guessing that logging cleaning and eating back calories did not do me any harm!
  • conkle23
    Options
    And I diffidently agree with what all you are saying. But I am saying as the aspect of using as an excuse though. Because I know people personally who do it, why I brought it up in the first place. I know when you sleep your burning calories, your burn calories no matter what you do.

I also believe in pushing people to their hardest. It has helped my friends out tons of time. And if SOME people have the mind set that all they have to do is clean everyday to get that 200 to 600 calories then they will be just fine I disagree.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't do it for normal household chores (vacuuming, dishes, etc), but lately I've been counting it because I'm packing to move, so I'm hauling boxes around, tromping up and down stairs, up and down a step ladder... Those are the type of things I count under "cleaning".
  • ProjFit
    ProjFit Posts: 143
    Options
    I only ever log my cleaning when It takes me more than one hour and i know Im going to break a sweat. Once a month or once every couple weeks I will do a HUGE cleaning on my place and I end up burning like 500calories and breaking a great sweat.. so ya, I usually log those.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    It depends how hard you are cleaning.
  • twaltemade
    twaltemade Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I let my fitbit count it...they are steps. I am also set up as sedentary.

I am working in the yard today and I will count those steps too.

(i still went to the gym for over 6 hours this week, so I don' do it in lieu of exercise. However, I count it)
  • Chunk2206
    Options
    I count cleaning not the full amount of time and I always put it as light cleaning even when i'm moving furniture to clean behind it. I'm burning calories so why not? I also do walking, tae bo, elliptical and have started doing C25K.

I don't think it matters how people burn calories as long as they are. Some people live in the middle of nowhere and going to a gym isn't an option.

At least people are doing something that's physical and that's better than nothing.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    my lifestyle is set to sedetary - i have a desk job
    recently i clearned my house from top to bottom, and took a total of 4 hours which MFP told me was over 700cals but i only logged 2 hrs AND lowered the 350+ cals to a little over 200 to make sure I didnt cheat myself

I think if ur active in your life, then it wouldnt be included, but if ur sedetary i thought it counts
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I logged it a couple of weeks ago because I cleaned out the sheds in my backyard. Moving heavy stuff, rearranging, scrubbing, that kind of stuff I think is a benefit to my day as far as being active. Doing dishes and vacuuming and such that I do every day? No at all. Basically if its burning under 100 calories I don't bother to log it. I think it depends on what kind of shape you are in though. Like if somebody is normally pretty sedentary it's not going to take as much for them to burn off a few calories than others who are more active.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    To put it into perspective, going on my HRM, I burn twice as many calories an hour cleaning as I do doing a zumba class, and I see people logging that all the time.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    And I diffidently agree with what all you are saying. But I am saying as the aspect of using as an excuse though. Because I know people personally who do it, why I brought it up in the first place. I know when you sleep your burning calories, your burn calories no matter what you do.

I also believe in pushing people to their hardest. It has helped my friends out tons of time. And if SOME people have the mind set that all they have to do is clean everyday to get that 200 to 600 calories then they will be just fine I disagree.

IMO, people log the calories burned during housework, child care, and yard work because they are, in fact, burning calories. I would not dream of passing judgement on someone--implying that they are using their cleaning activities as an excuse for not formally exercising. Yes, one can get in shape with eating a healthy diet, walking, cleaning, gardening, playing with kids, etc., without ever stepping into a gym or using an exercise video. In fact, when you think about it--exercising in a gym appears to be a fairly recent phenomenon. Our ancestors who most likely made their living doing manual labor had no need for "exercise".
  • conkle23
    Options
    Yes not everyone can lose weight washing dishes and vacuuming.