Options
2»

Replies

• desilu69
    desilu69 Posts: 79
    Options
    Thanks above poster, that exact thing has led to my current 'abs':grumble:

:laugh:

When I went to a personal trainer, I was amazed that the best core work besides the plank and push ups, was not holding on while doing your cardio

I feel sad when I see someone on 10 incline, going 10mph and holding on for dear life:tongue: She would pull my hands from the arm bars on the Ellip and made me learn to do it hands free.

Oh and I felt BAD *kitten* doing it:laugh: (this from the girl who strarted out with 2 minutes and a tank of oxygen:embarassed: )
    I am so glad to know that I am not imagining that I get a better workout when I do not hold on to the bars. I refuse to use the arm swings on my elliptical and I got so confident in the fact that I got a better calorie burn and ab workout with it that I even started suggesting it to my friends to do the same thing:smile:
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Treadmill you say,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NfjaUWvjWk

Give it a try, fun fun fun.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Squat or deadlifts for me...
  • lvpthemvp
    lvpthemvp Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    interesting stuff!
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Plank.
    Technically not a crunch, but i think it works rhe core so much more than crunches.

^^^^ I second that. Planks hands down
  • umamibrain
    Options
    OK, you guys have convinced me: I need more than one ab move. I'm adding bicycle crunches, planks, and leg raises to my routine for a start. Now to figure out how many reps to do of each.
  • gigglebunny1
    Options
    OK, you guys have convinced me: I need more than one ab move. I'm adding bicycle crunches, planks, and leg raises to my routine for a start. Now to figure out how many reps to do of each.

The trainer (I'm a newbie to fitness and trainers) has me do two planks or side planks during my workout, but I imagine s/he will have me change the number from time to time - once during a workout, twice sometimes, etc. The time varies, too. Sometimes 20 seconds, sometimes 30 seconds. Variety of exercises used, reps, duration, etc. seem to be the ticket to working out, or so it seems in my experiences so far.

Good luck with your workouts.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Options
    I do planks and hanging knee raises. I don't do them very often, I find ab exercises to be really boring lol! I do squats and deadlifts on a regular basis and those also work the core which would probably be enough on their own.

For planks, I usually hold for 60 seconds, rest and repeat. I would do it more than twice, but I never feel like it. LOL.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with the plank!! Plus, there are all sorts of "variations" that you can do once a regular one gets easy (I've never gotten to this point... LOL).

The other one I love/hate is the prone jackknife. You start in a plank position on a swiss ball, and the you pull your knees to your chest so you are tucked up, and then you push back out to the start (a google video would make much more sense lol... they are actually pretty simple in theory). I get an amazing workout from this!
  • cutestkitten
    Options
    There's only one kind of crunch, to my knowledge. You lie on back, roll up your upper torso till just your upper back is off ground, but your lower and mid back are still on ground. A sit up is where your whole back comes off ground. Bicycles and others are not crunches, exactly. They involve other movements. Of all ab workouts, I think the single best is leg lifts on an excersize ball.
  • dottheallison
    Options
    Personally I don't like planks (or most ab exercises), and regular crunches never did much for me before. But I learned a simple ab exercise that I don't know the name of that has worked fantastically for my balance and strengthening my core, which in turn has made my walking/running endurance a little better.

Lie on your back with your legs straight out and your arms straight above you. Hold a small exercise ball/pillow/stuffed animal between your ankles and bring it up slowly without bending your knees as your raise your arms to meet it over your stomach. Pass the object back and forth in this way 15 times, rest for 2 minutes, then do it again. The slower you go, the more you'll feel it by the end.
    The first time I did it I was like, "wow, that's easy" and did like 3 times that.... I could barely move for a week. Sneezing and laughing were sooo painful. So Iearned the hard way that it works!
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Serious ab work here!

funny-gifs-working-those-abs.gif
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Plank.
    Technically not a crunch, but i think it works rhe core so much more than crunches.

This ^^^

Aside from planks 2x a week, I don't do any other form of ab work. I rely on my lifts to take care of that. I stopped doing crunches a year ago because I realized it was making my abs look worse (I have a slight separation from having 2 big kiddos). When you're doing step ups, lunges, squats, deadlifts, etc., they are very engaged and you can feel that working. I think ab work is redundant if you're doing compound lifts.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Options
    Serious ab work here!

funny-gifs-working-those-abs.gif

LOL! She went to the gym wearing a bra and undies and started doing that?!? I doubt any of the men there got any work done that day.
  • umamibrain
    Options
    Lie on your back with your legs straight out and your arms straight above you. Hold a small exercise ball/pillow/stuffed animal between your ankles and bring it up slowly without bending your knees as your raise your arms to meet it over your stomach. Pass the object back and forth in this way 15 times, rest for 2 minutes, then do it again. The slower you go, the more you'll feel it by the end.

This sounds like a great way to build on the leg raises. I'm adding it to the rotation. Thank you.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    While I'm a huge proponent of Squats and Deadlifts as the best total-body exercises, when it comes to core-specific moves, my favorite is without question the Ab Wheel. I'm also a big fan of planks, although my biggest criticism is that they're more geared toward muscular endurance rather than having an eccentric and concentric portion to the movement.

Other ab exercises I use include Lying Leg Raises, Decline Board crunches, and weighted Swiss Ball crunches.
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    I vote the Pike!
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Plank.

Agree.
    And side planks.
    And 6-inch killers.
    And look up the C-Sit Position.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Interesting that a guy I take a lot of inspiration from has this as his "dogma of the week"

http://www.functionalpatterns.com/2012/08/05/the-dogma-of-the-week-ab-workouts/

Interesting observations, the links at the end to w/o's are all very doable and look fun.