Question about mfp calories burned calculator

Options
Hey, folks. Just wondering if the calculator on this site that determines how many calories that you burn for the exercises that you log is based upon your weight? Just trying to make sure that I have a realistic view of what I am accomplishing at the gym. Thanks!

Replies

• LittleRedBird18
    LittleRedBird18 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Just read that and realized that it was sort of a wordy sentence. Hope it makes sense! :tongue:
  • LittleRedBird18
    Options
    anyone?
  • Fijiflower
    Fijiflower Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes it is based on your weight.
  • Usa9872001
    Usa9872001 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor to determine my burn because I feel that sometimes the site is very "generous" with calories and doesn't account for fitness level.
  • LittleRedBird18
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor to determine my burn because I feel that sometimes the site is very "generous" with calories and doesn't account for fitness level.

I know this sounds lame, but how does a hr monitor work? and how do you use it to help track your calories? This whole world is so new to me. I just finally found out what BMR is!!! :blushing:
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    To answer your first question (though I'm no expert), I believe MFP calculates based on your sex, weight and age. I think their numbers assume you're doing the stated exercise at a high intensity, so if you're not working very hard, you'll obviously burn many fewer calories than the site allots.

An HRM consists of a strap that goes around your ribcage that holds a little monitor against your sternum. That monitor transmits your heart rate to a watch-like reader that you wear on your wrist. You do a little set-up when you first get it so that it knows things like your resting heart rate and how fast it rises and your age -- lots of info. You can then use it while you exercise to track how high your heart rate has gone and how many calories you've burned. You can see pictures and get lots of information by doing a simple Google search.

Good luck!
  • LittleRedBird18
    Options
    Wow! That is so cool. Thanks so much for the info.