Could I still be hypothyroid??

Options
I'm a 26 y/o female and have been having symptoms for close to a year. About a year ago I initially went to the doctor because of my pure exhaustion and inability to concentrate. My blood test showed that I had Epstein bar in my system and that I was really dehydrated (which we never got to the bottom of why since I drink water all day long.) They also tested my TSH and T4 levels which they said were "normal". My TSH was 3.720 (normal range 0.4-4.5) and my T4 was 1.07 (not sure of range).

We ended up chalking my symptoms up to the Epstein Bar and the fact that I was planning my wedding and was stressed.

After the wedding I got another blood test and they said the Epstein Bar was fine now and I was still mildly dehydrated but not bad. However I STILL felt awful even with the wedding over.

I have gained 15 lbs in the last 9 months since my wedding all while working out 5-6 days a week and logging my eating.

I've also been feeling extremely depressed. I have issues with depression for years, as does my mom and most of her side of the family. I had it under control though with Wellbutrin for so long now all of a sudden it seems the medicine has stopped working.

Here's my question... My mom and sister both have thyroid problems. Even though my thyroid tests came back "normal" could I still be hypothyroid?

I went for more bloodwork a couple days ago and am waiting to hear back. My PCP doesn't think it's my thyroid based on my results from last year. Although i did convince her to check my TSH, FT4, and FT3 along with a bunch of other stuff that could be causing the problem.

ALSO, one more weird symptom... my eye has been twitching lightly on and off everyday for almost 6 weeks. I also only see floaters in the eye that's been twitching.

Any help, comments, or thoughts would be great! I'm really getting fed up.

Replies

• tchnlrn
    tchnlrn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I also have a family with a strong history of hypothyroidism - 2 aunts, a grandmother, 2 sisters, and a mother with it. I'm the only female in the family w/o this problem. You might want to ask for a referral to an endocrinologist who could give you more information. I know being "borderline" can cause problems as well. My thyroid levels are a lot different than yours, yet we're both "normal."

Also, I think it's not unusual for weight to fluxuate dramatically - either up or down - when experiencing times of great change. Marriage certainly is one of those! Keep that in mind. Emotions do act on the hormones that drive our appetites.

Be good to yourself.
    :wink:
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    Wait for the results and see how you go. As the person above mentioned, go to an endocrinologist for a better check up.

Also, the eye twitching is generally due to stress.
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Right, I agree with the above. I think if it was actually hypothyroidism, it would have probably showed up in your blood work, so you should wait on the test results. Although your TSH is in the normal range, I believe it's actually a little high for someone of your age, though. Mine is currently below yours (somewhere around 2.75), but my doctor is concerned something is up with my synthroid dosage because it should be lower than that at age 25.

Eye twitching is generally stress. I hate when that happens. So, I'd just relax, wait for your results to come in, and treat yourself to something fun to assuage the eye twitch!
  • mizlaur123
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Ill update you guys when I get the blood work back. And I have an endo appt at the end of the month so hopefully he can help if my PCP can't. I've read stuff saying the new "normal" range for TSH is 0.3-3.0 as of 2003. Since mine is slightly over I really think that's what's causing symptoms.
  • mizlaur123
    Options
    I also have a family with a strong history of hypothyroidism - 2 aunts, a grandmother, 2 sisters, and a mother with it. I'm the only female in the family w/o this problem. You might want to ask for a referral to an endocrinologist who could give you more information. I know being "borderline" can cause problems as well. My thyroid levels are a lot different than yours, yet we're both "normal."

Also, I think it's not unusual for weight to fluxuate dramatically - either up or down - when experiencing times of great change. Marriage certainly is one of those! Keep that in mind. Emotions do act on the hormones that drive our appetites.

Be good to yourself.
    :wink:

If you don't mind me asking, what are your levels like?
  • Queenbee412
    Options
    Yes!!!!!! Please visit www.stopthethyroidmaddness.com it will change your life. Oh, and your TSH should not be that high :)
    Best of luck!
  • SuperKeely
    SuperKeely Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'd also get them to test your thyroid antibodies. I had symptoms of hypothyroidism for almost 2 years before somebody did that test and realized I had Hashimoto's. Hashimoto's eventually degrades your thyroid to the point where it shows up in the standard thyroid panel, but in my experience the symptoms showed up way sooner.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I'm hypo, I'm on medicine, and my symptoms are still kind of bad.

Like, sleeping 12 hours a day bad.

Even though my levels are "normal" now, I don't think the pills are fixing the problem. A lot of patients fall into this category, those who are "normal" (by meds or naturally) and still have thyroid-related symptoms. Unfortunately, many doctors don't see past the numbers on the blood test. Go to an endocrinologist and talk to them. They should be better educated about what to do in these situations.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!!!! Please visit www.stopthethyroidmaddness.com it will change your life. Oh, and your TSH should not be that high :)
    Best of luck!

Is it one "d"? Because this didn't work.
  • Queenbee412
    Options
    Doh! Yes , it's madness. Sorry!
  • chavab1
    chavab1 Posts: 1
    Options
    You most definitely could still by hypothyroid. There is a bit of a disagreement as to what should be considered the normal range for TSH. According to the latest standards, the range should be no higher than 3. My nutritionist told me point blank that if I was not below 3, I could not lose weight. It sounds to me like you have all the symptoms of hypothyroidism. My doctor says that with medication is it best to be between 1 and 2. You can read about the question of "normal" thyroid levels here: http://thyroid.about.com/od/gettestedanddiagnosed/a/normaltshlevel.htm
    Good luck!
  • mizlaur123
    Options
    Update: Still holding my breath waiting for my newest blood test results. Hoping my numbers are off enough to finally get some treatment..
  • patricia20707
    Options
    I have been hypo for twenty years and in order to feel "normal" my levels must be maintained around 0.8. My levels after pregnancy (before synthroid) were considered in the average range. After gaining 45 pounds in 3 months I went to an endocrinologist, rather than my GP, who quickly put me on medication. Good luck!
  • mizlaur123
    Options
    Not sure if anyone is still following this thread but I though I'd get back to you with the results...

I got a print out of my labs. My FT3 was 2.6 (range 2.0-4.4), my FT4 was 1.10 (range 0.82-1.77), and my TSH was 4.060 (range 0.450-4.500).

Also my B12 was elevated along with my lymphocyte (47). Any idea what would cause these to be high? I have not take a B-vitamin in about 6 months or more. Any insight would be great.