Dealing with stress

Options
I don't deal well with stress--one of my ways of dealing is to eat (and the wrong stuff, at that). :sad: Could use some advice.

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    One of the best ways to relieve stress is to find some kind of exercise that you like and do it everyday. Walking is cheap, you can do it anywhere, and it burns calories! Good luck. Emotional eating is hard - but not impossible to overcome.
  • aprice3320
    Options
    I have the same problem. I am overcoming it this time around. I've tried to lose weight so many times. This time I am coping by going for a walk, taking a hot soak in the tub, calling a friend etc. I'm determined not to undo all the hard work I've done. After you stress eat it just makes you feel worse anyway. You still have the same problems and then you are mad at yourself for eating those bad things.
  • Afterblue
    Afterblue Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Don't let it in your house. The more difficult you make it to acquire the type of foods that you resort to when in need of comfort, the easier you will find it to resist the temptation to turn to them. Like, don't keep change with you that will enable you to go to a vending machine if that is your "weak spot". Or don't get it when you go grocery shopping.

I agree with the above poster about finding other avenues for dealing with stress. Also consider doing things that make you feel good about yourself. Stressed? Give yourself a mani pedi. Take a spa style bath. If you watch a lot of TV and grab foods to "accompany" you, break that habit by giving your hands something else to do like knitting!

You can totally nail this.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    :happy: Thank you! It's been hard to nail!
  • mikephoto
    Options
    Gidzmo, and all participants, all good advice. I agree, that finding a fun excercise is the best way to push stress out of your mind. I have begun swimming (now that it''s summer), in a nearby lake, and each day i go out there, I swim just a little farther, and alittle longer than the last day. I look forward to it now, as I've done this for almost 3 weeks, and only have missed 3 days so far. Also, we can't be perfect, and we have to cheat every now and then, but then it's moderation.

Hope this helps.

Michael
  • jsygurl
    jsygurl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem - have you tried the free mediations on http://www.getsomeheadspace.com/ to help teach you how to train your mind to looki away from the stressful thoughts? I find it very helpful.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Don't let it in your house. The more difficult you make it to acquire the type of foods that you resort to when in need of comfort, the easier you will find it to resist the temptation to turn to them. Like, don't keep change with you that will enable you to go to a vending machine if that is your "weak spot". Or don't get it when you go grocery shopping.

I agree with the above poster about finding other avenues for dealing with stress. Also consider doing things that make you feel good about yourself. Stressed? Give yourself a mani pedi. Take a spa style bath. If you watch a lot of TV and grab foods to "accompany" you, break that habit by giving your hands something else to do like knitting!

You can totally nail this.
    Blue: I do have a few family members who bring the wrong stuff in. I will usually make something myself.

Give my hands something else to do....the mending basket!!