Anticipated bra change as weight is lost?

Options
I know that breasts are often the first to shrink and grow as women fluctuate in their weight, and I'm planning on losing about 30 pounds to be at my ideal weight. While there are some downsides to my breasts sometimes (34DDDD can sometimes be hard to find in the store, etc), I'm rather attached to them, though I know that as I become skinnier, a smaller cup size will have the same impression on my total body image. I know this sounds totally shallow, but how much should I expect my bra size to shrink? I'm not planning on losing weight super quickly.

Replies

• tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like you're morbidly obese, having only 30 pounds to lose*, so your breasts might be there to stay. You may lose an inch or two of breast fat and maybe an inch or two of ribcage fat, but that would still give you 32DDDs, maybe DDs on a good (bad?) day. Breasts are finicky things, though, so who knows.

(* I don't mean to belittle your efforts or anything--just saying that if you had, say, a hundred pounds to lose, you could expect a more dramatic change.)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the individual (not very helpful I know!) It depends, I believe on how much fat you have vs breast tissue. Mine have diminished somewhat, but I know people who have lost all their weight and their breasts are pretty much the same size.
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am down slightly over 20 pounds (but still have 60 to lose). My underbust size is down 3" and so is my bust size. Since cup size is relative, that means my cup size is the same, but my band size has gone down by 4. I keep hoping that my cup size will come down faster, but no luck so far.

This appears to be idiosyncratic per person.; I have friends who complain that their boobs shrink faster than everything else.

At least with 30 pounds to lose you probably won't have to buy new bras several times. I am figuring on buying new ones about every 25-30 pounds and being resigned to them just not being quite right a lot of the time.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Im down 60 lbs and my cup size hasnt changed. Band size has gone down 2 inches, thats it. I really think it depends on the person.
  • KaydeForce
    KaydeForce Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    it's very individual... I know people who have literally lost their breasts.
    However, when I was a size 6 i still had a D-cup. Now I'm DD. So I personally don't expect to lose too much.

But: I keep telling myself that this doesn't matter. What matters is that I'm healthy. I'd rather take an A-cup and be fit than keep my DD and stay where I am.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    What was your bra size before you gained the weight? That might give you an idea of how you will look after you lose the weight.
  • lilgemforgets
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing! I have about 30lbs to lose also. Since i put on the weight my bra has gone from 32c to 34D (but that is a bit of a tight squeeze but determined not to buy even more bras!) I am hoping they will go back to what they were before i ut on weight as i had some really pretty underwear!!!!!! Hubby wants them to stay as they are, typical man!!
  • Afterblue
    Afterblue Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    30 pounds ago, I was a 36 D.

After losing 30 pounds: 36 DDD.

I am still scratching my head over that one. I am insisting it is water weight....
  • thinplox
    Options
    I lost around 25-28lbs and my bra size went from 34G to 32E... a huge change! I must have been holding a lot of excess fat in that area. I'm not sad to see it go, though, it's much easier for me to fit into certain clothes now that my measurements are a bit more average.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    My cup size hasn't changed, only my chest measurement. I've gone from a 36 to a 34 or 32 (depending on the bra). Cup size has remained magnificantly the same :D
  • issystclaire
    issystclaire Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I want to loose 30lbs as well, and I anticipate to go down one cup size. I am currently a 36-38D (dependent on brand of bra) and when I used to be at my goal weight, I was a 36C - so really hoping this is what I go back down to. Hope this helps!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Well I have lost over 110 lbs and have went down exactly 0 cup sizes. About 3 band sizes but nothing on cup. I was hoping for something but so far seriously disappointed.
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I went from 36D's at my HW (195 pounds) to 32B's at my CW (126 pounds).
    If you have 30 pounds to lose I wouldn't be too worried. Get plenty of potassium (supports breast tissue growth), and do a little upper body strength training if you can - I didn't think I was that kind of exerciser (I prefer biking or walking) once I started the strength stuff my boobs got perky and round again!! They started looking a little 'deflated' after shrinking so much but that fixed them right up.

You're lucky to have big boobs and I'm sure you will be beautiful no matter their size. Don't let your cup size become your identity. No matter what happens, you are NOT "the girl with the big boobs" or "the girl with X size boobs" you're so much more to people than that!
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It really varies from person to person. I lost 24 pounds and only went down about a half a cup size. It was mostly my band size that went down as my body got smaller. Thank goodness!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I think it would be difficult for someone else to estimate how much weight you will lose from your breasts. Each individual is different. Some people gain and lose from their breasts first thing while others have little bra size changes when their weight fluctuates. And, of course, it all depends on how much weight is gained or lost.

Wishy-washy answer to a wishy-washy question.:laugh:
  • emtron500
    emtron500 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I was a bit freaked out by how much mine seemed to shrink and how loose my bra felt, but when I went to replace it I found I'd only gone from 38DDD to 36DD, which is a pretty positive change. The reduced band size was just making my bra feel really loose when actually the cup size hadn't shifted a lot. That's after 60 lbs lost.
  • adm1980
    adm1980 Posts: 17
    Options
    I have lost 21 lbs so far and went from an over flowing 38DDD to comfortably fitting into a 36DD. I found that when I had lost weight before and got down to 148, I still never got below a 34D. I really am ready to get rid of some of it and is a large part of my motivation for losing.
  • natachan
    natachan Posts: 149
    Options
    Like many said, it really depends on the person. Some people lose tons off their boobs, others loose none. I went from a 38DD at 213 pounds to a 34DDD (E? EE?) at 168.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I went from 36D to a 34C now closer to 32C...perfectly ok with me since they were A's before gaining weight.
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    my boobs were the first thing to go when I started losing weight, although according to Victoria Secrets I went from a 40D to a 34DD, and now i'm a 34D, so I guess not too bad :)